Bizarre English names - Part 2

Funny. who says? someone died and made you king? lol. no really, what’s a “real name”? where are the rules? what happens to those of us: charlie, jack, etc. with “not real names”. Our birth certificates are somehow invalid now?

I think I remember seeing Eunice in Iliad?

Found this online by random chance.

Salty Wang
:roflmao:

Awesome. That’s got to be an “I asked my foreign English teacher for advice” name.

Someone on Facebook asked to be a friend. His name is: Flanker Wu. :ponder:

Met a girl named Lego.

Met a guy named Crusader

-a 45 years old lady named Echo
-a 31 years old girls named Ikea
-the child of my girlfriend sister : 1 year old : Boiling (like boiling water)

A student in my Advanced Writing class called himself Mr. Handsome.

I said that was totally out of order and made him change it to King Gregory (my first name is Gregory).

He complied. Funny stuff!

That guy is just asking for a spoonerism.

I once read a book about a Mr Tickle but I wouldn’t describe it as advanced writing.

There’s a news article talking about why Taiwanese people need to have English names. The author urges people to just use the romanization of their original names instead. At the end of it, she mentioned forumosa, and how this thread is 58 pages long.

ettoday.net/news/20120604/52748.htm

[quote=“hansioux”]There’s a news article talking about why Taiwanese people need to have English names. The author urges people to just use the romanization of their original names instead. At the end of it, she mentioned forumosa, and how this thread is 58 pages long.

ettoday.net/news/20120604/52748.htm[/quote]
Slight criticisms of the article:

“Sunny” actually is an English name. So is “Elin”.

“Candy” and “Brandy” aren’t “prostitute” names.

“Brian” is not an old-fashioned name.

That guy is just asking for a spoonerism.[/quote]
he he. finley, I thought the same. Flu can be a pain.

[quote=“Chris”]Slight criticisms of the article:
“Candy” and “Brandy” aren’t “prostitute” names.[/quote]

what about Amber?

[quote=“Chris”]
“Brian” is not an old-fashioned name.[/quote]

yeah, I didn’t get the Brian thing either. I was thinking maybe that’s a Brithish thing, but even then I don’t think Brian is old fashioned…

Yeah, ‘Brian’ would be quite old-fashioned. ‘Candy’, etc, not prostitute names (prostitutes change their names?), but just kind of chavvy and ridiculous. Names are kind of class markers in the UK, for right or wrong. You can choose to reject that kind of snobbery (or inverted snobbery), but really only if you are rich or poor enough to not need to work can you call you child Wayne or Portia or Jayden or Kayla.

There’s a middle class trend of faux wartime working class nicknames right now in the UK. Lots of Alfies and Aggies’. Yuck. What happened to calling them after the royals or the saints?

Candy isn’t a chav name if you ask me, it’s pretty (upper) middle class, a bit like Amber or Freya. Candice however is chavvy. I don’t agree Candy is in there with names like Courtney or Jade. However, these are just my opinions and are not edicts of truth.

Brian is the go to name when the French learn English. Most French people know the sentences: Where is Brian? Brian is in the kitchen. However, it’s not a name people are choosing for their kids these days. It’s about the same era as a name like Lizzie.

Elin isn’t English, it is Scandinavian.

Harry is a weird one because it is a royal name but it is also quite chav. I blame that scar headed twat who hung out with an owl.

I knew a taiwanese guy once who’s name was Cupid…

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sorry, american speaking here: what’s a chav?

The closest American equivalent would be “trailer trash”, I guess. But it’s not quite the same thing. Search for “Vicky Pollard” on youtube for a caricature.

Poor people.