Bizarre English names - Part 2

That was a very informative show. I learned about British television licensing from that man. And how to make rats fit into toasters, all in the same episode.

and acupuncture. and Summer Holidays.

I know a Momomini from elementary school.
I used to wonder why my dad named me Jamie instead of going with my Chinese name which is Chieh. Now I know why.
My last name is Lo. Try saying Chieh Lo really fast.¯_(ツ)_/¯

[quote=“antarcticbeech”][quote=“Chris”][quote=“antarcticbeech”][quote=“Confuzius”]Joline’s boyfriend.

His name is Vivian.[/quote]

Vivian is also a male name.[/quote]
Well, like Courtney and Allison, it was a male name a century or more ago.[/quote]

It is a male name today.

Sir Vivian Richards, perhaps the greatest batsman of all time, who was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire for services to cricket.

Another sporting Vivian:

[/quote]
Yeah I know a Vivien, who’s a French guy.
Apparently Vivienne is for girls while Vivien is for guys.

When I was working in HK, I called up a department looking for a Viking Chan. I was told by a Global Kwok that he was in a meeting and would I like to leave a message. I said “Is this a joke??” to which he replied “what??!!!”. He just didn’t get the funny side of it all. Priceless.

[quote=“johnlockian”]I know a Momomini from elementary school.
I used to wonder why my dad named me Jamie instead of going with my Chinese name which is Chieh. Now I know why.
My last name is Lo. Try saying Chieh Lo really fast.¯_(ツ)_/¯[/quote]

Ha. Reminds me of the Lemonjello/Orangejello twins/urban myth.

Isn’t there a “Bizarre English names - Part 3” thread? Why are we back to Part 2?

Last week we met Mr Tender Yang.

Said his wife: Love me, Tender ~~~

People shouldn’t choose adjectives as first names. Just sayin.

[quote=“hannes”]Last week we met Mr Tender Yang.

Said his wife: Love me, Tender ~~~

People shouldn’t choose adjectives as first names. Just sayin.[/quote]

I wonder who Mr Sweet would be.

At least he wasn’t named Wang.

I know of a Malaysian Chinese woman named Girlie…

And today I met a boy named Heavenia.

Some bright spark has launched a new website in China to help stamp out stupid English names, like “Elvis” and “Washing Liquid”.

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … names.html

bestenglishname.com/

I legitimately don’t see a problem there.

The bizarre English names of people in Taiwan are lame in comparison to the one’s you find in Africa, in this case Zimbabwe:

Marvellous Mhlanga-Nyahuye
Lovemore Matombo
Blessing Tendi
Saviour Kasukuwere
Sixpence Dlamini
Evidence Manyere
Patience Rusere
Fortune Mpofu
Blade Nzimande
Prince Chauke
Biggie Chitoro
Admire Mukorera
Trymore Simango
Smile Dabengwa
Surprise Moriri
Trust Mudzuri
Learnmore Jongwe
Jealousy Mawarire
Canaan Banana
Silence Chihuri
Kindness Paradza
Gift Muchinguri
Hope Sadza
Memory Shiriinorira
Hopewell Chinono
Talent Mabika
Prosper Mutseyami
Witness Masunda
Precious Chidhuku
Brilliant Dube
Clever Bere
Shepherd Mutamba
Passionate Chiedza
Godknows Dzoro Mtshakazi
Okay Mabhena
Moreblessing Tirivangani
Settlement Chikwinya
Choice Ndoro
Fashion Phiri
Perseverance Rufaro
Prosper Ncube
Praisegod Sibongile
Givemore Manuella
Gift Makolonio
Method Mwanyazi
Limited Chicafa
Danger Fourpence
Have-a-look Dube
Clever Muzuva
Sunday Bhekizwe
Heavens Chinyama
Heavy Weight Utaunashe
Democracy Muguti
Released Results Matongo
Runoff Vuyani
Polling Station Nhamoinesu
Ballot Box Makhosi

I actually really love those type of names that have a meaning. First names of Westerners do have meanings too, some are just too old to tell what the meaning is. Also, if you would translate Chinese names into English, you would come up with the same type of names like in this list. There are a lot of people with names like Democracy (Min-Zhu) or Clever (Cong-ming) in Taiwan.

The parents of “Okay” must have been a bit disappointed. What must it be like to go through life knowing you weren’t a Gift or a Blessing, or Precious, or Brilliant, but just Okay.

I wonder if Limited turned out to be limited or not. Apparently, nominative determinism is a real ‘thing’.

I’d say “Elvis” is a problem for the same reason “Adolf” is a problem. Too much historical association. People will snigger, even though neither name is inherently silly.

1 Like

I wonder how the name Polling Station Nhamoinesu came about. Was he conceived or born at the polling station? Did his parents met there for the first time. Does he look like a polling station? Can you imagine how often he has to explain that name to people he meets. Fascinating.

And then there’s this guy: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Barbon

[quote=“finley”]The parents of “Okay” must have been a bit disappointed. What must it be like to go through life knowing you weren’t a Gift or a Blessing, or Precious, or Brilliant, but just Okay.

I wonder if Limited turned out to be limited or not. Apparently, nominative determinism is a real ‘thing’.

I’d say “Elvis” is a problem for the same reason “Adolf” is a problem. Too much historical association. People will snigger, even though neither name is inherently silly.[/quote]

Hope is okay, as…is…well, Prince.
The others I cannot fathom.

I have a friend named Elvis, though.

SCold. Yes, spelled with the double cap SC. New guy at the local Seven.

Snoopy.