Bizarre English names - Part 2

[quote=“finley”]The parents of “Okay” must have been a bit disappointed. What must it be like to go through life knowing you weren’t a Gift or a Blessing, or Precious, or Brilliant, but just Okay.

I wonder if Limited turned out to be limited or not. Apparently, nominative determinism is a real ‘thing’.

I’d say “Elvis” is a problem for the same reason “Adolf” is a problem. Too much historical association. People will snigger, even though neither name is inherently silly.[/quote]

There are no Myras where I live because of a famous child killer.

Those kind of names were common in Victorian England: Faith, Hope, Charity, Prudence, and the other virtues.

A few years ago, lo, a child was born in Clydebank called Pocahontas MacCampbell. Hehe.

Male student calling himself Judy in one of my sophomore classes. Chinese name is something like Yang, Jing-kuan so maybe its supposed to be a homonym (fnar fnar, he said homo) but I suspect he just did it to confuse my role-calling.

(role-calling, not name-calling, or gender-role stereotyping, OK?)

Another one calling himself Sixy.

Its an insidious subversive trend.

Get ready for this one: Bacteria
I kid you not. She was a 21 year old student and I repeated that she understood the meaning and I asked her to clarify what
she thought it meant. She was expressive and seemingly normal, other than the name.
There was no hope.

Awesome. Maybe she named herself after this character:

Wife of Unhygienix the fishmonger, IIRC.

Chlamydia has a nicer sound to it than Bacteria. Brucellosis would be a good name for a boy.

We got a new PM at work, I just finished working his first project with him.
His English name’s Ryan.

I been calling him Ryan Coke.

If he doesn’t piss me off, someday I’ll explain it to him.

New girl in my work called Maybe. Her surname? You.
Lots of times she thinks people are talking about her when asking someone else: “Maybe you could help me…”

Came across this one today, not so English but pretty bizarre.

Tyzz-Jiun DUH

[quote=“calitotaiwan”]Get ready for this one: Bacteria
I kid you not. She was a 21 year old student and I repeated that she understood the meaning and I asked her to clarify what
she thought it meant.[/quote]
What was her response?

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]Came across this one today, not so English but pretty bizarre.

Tyzz-Jiun DUH[/quote]

He actually has another name, Woody Duh. I guess that’s better.

Name tag at a diner: Mountain Gu

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

A Swiss by the name Klem.
Introduced himself with tagline. Like the drink, milk, spelt backward.

1 Like

Hehe

Two coworkers who are sisters from my workplace:
The last name is Tseng.
One is Jessica Tseng, the other Monica Tseng.

They’re no less bizarre in Japanese, since they would have roughly the same meaning.
There’s a Japanese comedian named Aiko Tanaka. You should look her up on YouTube.

One of her best lines was, “My name is Aiko Tanaka. Aiko means ‘love child.’ I looked that up in the dictionary, and it said ‘bastard.’ Tanaka means ‘in the rice field.’ So my whole name means, ‘bastard in the rice field.’”

I’m so glad this thread exists.

Top 3 in my first year here.

-Window
-Dopey
-Pig

All girls.
Honestly… In terms of dating I would have to make a strong effort to get them to change their name before ever introducing them to my family. Perhaps a forgotten Seinfeld episode?

Grandma: So what’s her name?
Me: Pig.
Grandma: What?
Me: Pig.
Grandma: You’re dating a pig?
Me: No. Grandma… She’s… She’s Taiwanese.
Grandma: You’re dating a Taiwanese pig?
Me: Yes!
Grandma: . . . . I don’t like it.

1 Like

Exactly!

:eek:

Dare I ask where the latter worked?

I’ve met quite a few rich wives that call themselves names like coco for coco Chanel and brands like that.

The “Idiots” thread is absolutely the correct place to discuss the English naming situation here in Taiwan, although I think it’s separate from and not as bad as the stupid names native speakers select for their children.

I’ve heard a lot of strange names here, but (at the risk of being called a China shill :wink:) China is still the best for them. I’ve actually met a Gandalf.

1 Like

I’ve known a couple of rich kids named after luxury car brands.

Why!!!