Bizarre Ant of the Dame

@tango42 agreed! There is ample fodder for the fire to be bantered over in this thread in only a few posts! I’m a fellow ranter, but (usually) adore the people who live around me (even the surly security guard, with whom I’ve now made up with; long story short, we were both having bad days) but not all (including the local crazy lady who accused me of throwing coat hangers out of my window).

In response to Jìnǚ (寫錯嗎?) Wink @Dr_Milker about the parsing. Ahem. As follows, in random order:

1. 4262 (四阿六阿 = f-ing Mainlander) is used most commonly in terms of rude, loud, pushy, and overall the worst of Mainland Chinese. I’ve used it before, but in context of their rude behavior, such as littering and cursing and yelling loudly in public. I’ve used it to blame line-cutting Mainlanders in North American airports as well. When heard, it’s usually justified. You need to remember that 台語 has curse words for people of most races and ethnicities, including their own.

2. That rude and unbelievably obnoxious family. I trust you that it’s true and would possibly have acted likewise in your situation, but with the use of Taiwanese, which seems to resonate and blame at a deeper level.

3. The story of the “dirty uncle” customs agent beggars belief. If you came by boat, it seems somewhat more likely, but I’ve been complimented on my Chinese writing by customs agents without the accompanying nudge nudge “you’ll pull birds” commentary. You’ve met one special individual and, if it’s as you’ve stated, he’s not only offended your intentions, but has also offended all Taiwanese females (please confirm that this was an agent on Taiwan’s side of the pond, and not in 廈門 or some other Mainland port of exit).

4. I’ve met hundreds or thousands of Taiwanese children and find them overall very adorable (not simply in terms of “cute” appearance, although obesity is an increasing issue, but in terms of their open-heartedness and curious, if naïve, attitude). Some locals have mentioned a particular student is too shy to speak to them, and were surprised by my ability to have them actively asking and answering my questions within minutes. It takes an open heart, a keen eye, and true care to get to that point (and, of course, using their native language). As to those you met in the “Seven,” I can only speculate that the negative encounter was not a one-sided phenomenon.

5. I’ve had more than one acquaintance escape to the hills and avoid social interaction as much as possible. They weren’t independently wealthy, so they still had to work (teaching mostly). I am a night owl and quasi-agrophobic. I avoid the crowds and prefer the silence and solitude of the night. In this way, we are alike. Taiwan is a beautiful country in which to lose oneself, but most of us need to work and do live in and participate in our communities. I’m pink, by the way, not really white. More beige.

6. On a side note, it’s great that you use the gym to keep in shape (hopefully not the pear shape I work not at all to maintain). I would avoid McDonald’s and see what local night time food stalls are available. Or cook for yourself. Most major populated areas have one or two restaurants or stalls opened very late.

Cheers! I look forward to your next rant.

3 Likes