Black History Month

I know this is a USA thing, but I’ve enjoyed reading about history that sometimes gets overlooked.

[quote]WASHINGTON, Feb. 19 /U.S. Newswire/ – Following is the daily Black History Month “Profile America” feature for Feb. 20 from the U.S. Census Bureau:
MONDAY, FEB. 20: GEORGE GRANT
Profile America for this 20th day of Black History Month. Every time a golfer gets ready for a drive off the tee, he should say thanks to a little-known inventor. Dr. George Grant was one of the first African-American dentists and also one of the first of his race to play golf. Grant was tired of the method of teeing up in the 1890s – pinching some damp sand into a little launching pad. So, using his dental skills, he fashioned the first golf tee, for which he received a patent in 1899. Grant’s tee was a small wooden peg with a concave piece of rubber on top. It not only held the ball for better control, but aided in achieving longer drives. Today, every one of America’s more than 27 million golfers use tees every time they play. This special edition of Profile America for Black History Month is a public service of the U.S. Census Bureau.
[/quote]
Sometimes we just hear about ballplayers and rap singers and forget about the real heroes.

Edit: My appologies. I should have searched better. Another thread here.

Thanks for that information. I never knew that :beer:

[quote=“Richardm”]
Sometimes we just hear about ballplayers and rap singers and forget about the real heroes.[/quote]

Hear hear! But I think the real black heroes are these folks here:

http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/aaffsfl.htm.