Black tea recommendation

Just a short recommendation, I had a really nice cup of black tea today. Here is the brand name, then product description.

漢聲港 吉祥茶
紅玉紅茶

Oh, one other thing - I am very fussy with my teas and coffees :slight_smile:

Hope this helps someone.

2 Likes

Black tea in English. The leaves are black, the liquor is reddish.

Heard, understood, acknowledged.

1 Like

i recommend mos burger black tea.

Bags or loose?

Is black tea 紅茶? Aka red tea in Chinese.

1 Like

Yep.

1 Like

I thought so. But always confused me.

Bags, don’t worry though, no tea “dust” inside these :slight_smile:

So you spike your tea with liquor…that would explain a lot. :grin:

Good I will check it.
紅玉紅茶Is well known in Taiwan.

It’s hard to get authentic black (or any Taiwanese ) tea sometimes, the best I ever found was buying it from a stand in Nantou where they grow it.

Yeah I have poked my head in a couple of stores locally, and what they are selling appears to be a very commoditised product.

Do post up any info if you manage to get hold of a connect from Nantou that would be great, as this company I’ve linked appear to be some generic gift store, so difficult to know what their markup is.

The famous one is no 18 from the Nantou Tea company way back in Japanese times . You can visit it right beside moon lake. But there are a bunch of black tea farmers in that area…YuChi

2 Likes

Ha, this is actually quite funny. The tea I end up liking in Taiwan ends up being a hybridised Assam. I have come full circle back to Lipton’s :slight_smile:, well, a classy Lipton’s.

Sun Moon Lake black tea is an Assam variety and good but expensive. You can find cheaper black teas at some of Indian food stores in Taipei. Carrefour sells Typhoo Extra Strong teabags, they are pretty decent.

1 Like

That’s a muthf#cker of a tea. What we call in New Zealand a gumboot tea.

1 Like

Some of the black teas from nantou are awesome and nothing like a mass market tea you would get in a supermarket . Probably because they are fresh and carefully picked. They taste a little flowery.

1 Like

Thanks @schwarzwald. I actually drink it black, most of these British style processed assams are meant to be drunk with milk. I am partial to the spiced teas at the Indian stores though…

You’re right, the Typhoo tastes great with milk. For drinking black the high quality Assam’s from Nantou might do. I sometimes order organic black tea from this place https://neuteeland.de/ . They have an English page, great selection and reasonably priced and fast shipping.

1 Like