Blacklist of schools

Great story about your bowel movements.

That aside, usually schools give advance warning that they expect a demo lesson, so you can adequately prepare. They didn’t let you know you’d be doing a demo? They just made you do it on the spot out of the blue?

“Excuse me for a moment everyone, I just crapped my pants, be back in a moment.”

1 Like

Anxiety shit ooooommmmgggg thank you for that!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I haven’t worked at Chiba Language School in pingdong so I can’t comment on it in that sense.
I had a good impression from their website, however I have a bad impression after applying there. I had a Skype interview last week and was going to go there to visit yesterday. But after the initial interview I was emailed asking for another interview on monday, so I could speak to the foreign teacher. Sure, ok. I was ready and waiting at the agreed time but they weren’t online. Waited a while and sent an email asking if this interview was still going to happen and I got a response telling me “sorry for the delay. We’re looking at other candidates now”. I sent another email asking for feedback, as I imagine there must be a good reason to be treated so disrespectfully, but I was ignored.

So again, I can’t comment on how it is to work there, but I’m pretty unimpressed with the way I was treated, which certainly seems to reflect a poor attitude there.

2 Likes

A few years ago Bryan Wu got me two Junior High school summer vacation jobs in Taipei. Both of them worked out fine; money, hours, as per. And no, I’m not his fucking brother, cousin, friend, uncle, father, mother, sister or any other type of acquaintance.

Cool. That’s great for you. Your experience runs counter to everyone else who has posted about him here and elsewhere though. You’re honestly the first person I’ve met who has had a good thing to say about the guy. Maybe you’re not a relative, but those are just summer gigs and it’s also possible you have a higher tolerance for … well, crappy gigs. :man_shrugging:

Crappy gigs? Why would you think teaching high school is a crappy gig? I remember those students well, we had a great time for those four weeks, and after the classes finished they both gave me a beautiful hand-drawn/written card. It was quite emotional really, even for a cynical bastard like me.

Sorry, that was a bit jerky of me. I’ve just heard so many horror stories about the guy. I guess you’re one of the lucky ones.

Yes, well, I’m not attributing my experience to Bryan Wu, merely stating my contact with him.

It may be the stopped clock phenomenon – “right twice a day”. :2cents:

1 Like

Sesame Tainan hasn’t improved, at all.
All Sesame schools in Tainan are under the same owner, who has named himself Idea. The HQ is Kidsland in East District.

If a certain branch isn’t bringing in enough bacon, the owner neglects the school. One branch, in YongKang, has holes in the walls going from the inside to the outside of the building, flooring that can be lifted up, and old chairs that have staples unprotected which have resulted in students getting scrapes and cuts.

Taiwanese and foreign teachers, alike, have been leaving recently, resulting in most teachers being “fresh off the boat”, uninformed, and having no contacts or previous experience in Taiwan - which is good for the school, I suppose. Many Taiwanese have been at the school for several years and received zero increase in pay. This has lead Taiwanese to leave for work at McDonald’s, tea shops, etc, as they only receive 25k/month.

New kindergarten teachers are not informed that it is illegal to teach kindergarten until after they’ve already signed the contract and are being told where to go when a special alarm goes off.

If the school were kept up and the teachers were treated with respect, it wouldn’t be so terrible. Unfortunately, the owner cares only about money, money, money. Even “new” computers given to classrooms are second hand and often malfunction.

2 Likes

Me and my friends’ experiences at EIE were horrendous. The boss, Stan, was a vengeful man. My case is trivial compared to what happened to others. Stan did not give me a lizhi zhengming – a severance letter letting me out of the contract to take the excellent job I had gotten. I had to go to labor office to get help–which worked–otherwise I would have been unable to take any new job and Stan would not have given me work hours either. My contract had many months remaining on it.

A Taiwanese friend who worked in the office complained to the labor department about working overtime without pay–they used to have to clock out and then keep working. The boss, of course, figured out who reported, since he got fined for that. A conflict occurred in which she tried to storm out of the office. They insisted on searching her bag (which contained a list of clients that she did nothing with). She refused to let them search her bag. They blocked her exit. She called the police. Then Stan sued her for stealing intellectual property–the list of clients. He never let up and the lawsuit dragged on for about two years.
She had bipolar disorder and maybe she acted badly, but she didn’t deserve to be persecuted by Stan long after she had left. The incident put her in the hospital for a month. During that time, she lost her apartment but received a notice to appear in court. So when she got out of the hospital and got a good job, the first time her employer reported income for her, the police started coming to find her. For not appearing in court, she was on a list of wanted people, and apparently police departments compete to get arrests like that. So for an entire day her employer fielded calls from police departments around the city. Of course she lost the job–in one of the most humiliating ways possible.
Her family had rejected her when she was first diagnosed with the illness in graduate school in the U.S. and had to come home. They didn’t accept the diagnosis–which would make the family look bad–and her father blamed her for dishonoring them. For all I know, maybe she also acted badly. But it meant she had no support and was a fragile person to go through experiences like these.
She didn’t have the confidence to continue seeking work after that and was in and out of the hospital, living with a companion she had recently met.
Stan pursued that lawsuit to the bitter end, but not before suggesting that if she apologized he might drop it. He didn’t. She was sentenced to six months in jail or a 150,000 fine. Her companion borrowed money to cover the fine. But that Chinese New Year she had no place to go home to, which is a devastating experience, as anyone who has been in that position knows. Her mental health kept deteriorating. She killed herself about two years after he confrontation with EIE. Her family had disowned her and did not announce her death and did not allow her friends to attend the funeral. She requested that a friend make the public announcement instead.
Stan claims to be a Buddhist, but seeking revenge against employees is not Buddhist behavior. Karma doesn’t need your help, Stan.
The contract I signed at EIE was nearly 20 pages long, consisting mostly of things to protect EIE against its own employees–you could reverse engineer that contract to write a history of EIEs conflicts with employees, I thought.
Maybe different people work there now, but unless Stan and the people close to him have had an epiphany and become compassionate people, I don’t recommend working for them.

The proper name is 小七.

It took you six weeks to come up with that? I know you’re a ruminant but really?

More like, “Am I actually bored enough to see what’s happening on the Teaching English forum?” Apparently so…

Can we add tutorABC to the list?

5 Likes

What a shitty, craven Mickey Mouse outfit. I’d be embarrassed to work with them.

They are all incorrect.

10 minutes greetings. Lmao.

This is a place that purports to teach English.

1 Like

Thanks, just saw a tealit ad of theirs and it is pretty close to my apartment. I will avoid it.