Blatant racism or am I missing something?

I spotted this sign just now at Taipei City Hospital (Zhongxiao Brach). It’s on the door of a separate toilet and, according to previous trips, there are other such signs in different restrooms.

My question is, what’s up with that?

(Please note these signs have been there since long before the TW-Philippines spat)

Probably because they are collecting urine/stool samples and the, um, donors of same may need to be supervised while providing them. The Chinese says it’s for the health examination.

It’s not for bathroom though, at least not according to the Chinese sign, it’s for health check. Maybe when the foreign workers comes for health checks they come in a large group with very little time, so dedicating a stall for them is doing a favor?

I’ve seen this same type of sign at Min Sheng Hospital on San Min Rd. in Taoyuan City, on the second floor where I’ve gone to get my ARC health checks. I was surprised myself by the English translation.

I’ve seen the same in the world trade center. Chief representatives must use their badge to access a certain diplomat only toilet seat.

Well, what confuses me is that the English translation seems to forbid Taiwanese from using that bathroom. Could you guys provide a translation for the Chinese part?

Bathroom for exclusive use in foreign workers health exams.

Some one yelled out of the window of a cab “white trash!” at a friend and me last night while we were unpacking my car. We walked up the road towards the cab which was waiting at a red light to have a closer discussion with him but he blew the light to get away. Pretty sure it was the passenger.

Well, I still don’t understand why there should be one bathroom reserved for foreign workers. From where I am standing, it looks like there is a special bathroom for foreigners because Taiwanese could be disgusted to use the same place as immigrants in this kind of situation. It’s just a guess, so please prove me wrong. I really do not want my opinion of Taiwan to go down another notch.

Didn’t you know … only white people can be racist.

Well, I still don’t understand why there should be one bathroom reserved for foreign workers. From where I am standing, it looks like there is a special bathroom for foreigners because Taiwanese could be disgusted to use the same place as immigrants in this kind of situation. It’s just a guess, so please prove me wrong. I really do not want my opinion of Taiwan to go down another notch.[/quote]

It may be a bathroom used for collecting pee samples. We do that here every time we get a new job. You go to the bathroom and pee some into the sample bottle and then finish the job into the commode.

The bathrooms are checked before you go in and after again to make sure nobody carried in there any precollected bags of pee (from other people). Etc.

Im sure it was not discriminatory.

In fact when i was doing the test, the attendant insisted i not flush the toilet. She went in there afterwards and looked around and flushed the thing.

I guess anyone providing a pee sample can not just pee jsut that small amount, so the rest have to go into the commode. So maybe she is looking for this?

who knows, but I am pretty sure its not because of discrimination.

Why not just say “health check bathroom” then?

It’s intended for public safety I imagine. The foreign workers in question haven’t yet been tested for whatever diseases they are testing for, which aren’t prevalent in Taiwan, I guess.

How can this be racism?
I get my own dedicated bathroom.
It doesn’t say anywhere… Taiwanese only!
It doesn’t say… foreigners must use this bathroom and can’t use any other.

Instead, it means that Taiwanese are not allowed to use it.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]Why not just say “health check bathroom” then?

It’s intended for public safety I imagine. The foreign workers in question haven’t yet been tested for whatever diseases they are testing for, which aren’t prevalent in Taiwan, I guess.[/quote]

Warning! This room might be contaminated!

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]How can this be racism?
I get my own dedicated bathroom.
It doesn’t say anywhere… Taiwanese only!
It doesn’t say… foreigners must use this bathroom and can’t use any other.

Instead, it means that Taiwanese are not allowed to use it.

It’s intended for public safety I imagine. The foreign workers in question haven’t yet been tested for whatever diseases they are testing for, which aren’t prevalent in Taiwan, I guess.[/quote]

Warning! This room might be contaminated![/quote]

That is why I am confused. On one hand, it looks like it is just not for Taiwanese, on the other it has this unshakable apartheid feel and the faint tune if “Foreigners are dirty and carry all sorts of diseases”.

Oh well. Thanks everyone for your answers.

I just think that its the toilet used expressly for collecting pee samples and therefore an attendant must check it before and after.

It would be easier if some nurse would just stand there and watch you pee to make sure that there is no hanky panky.

But that could be a whole nother thread .

[quote=“tommy525”]I just think that its the toilet used expressly for collecting pee samples and therefore an attendant must check it before and after.

It would be easier if some nurse would just stand there and watch you pee to make sure that there is no hanky panky.

But that could be a whole nother thread .[/quote]

So basically I should read it as “Toilet reserved for foreign workers here for the health examination”. :slight_smile: :mestupid: gets it now. :-p

It’s a poor translation. A better one would say…

“This stall reserved for foreign worker health examinations.”

My friend points out that Westerners (North America and Europe) are no longer required to give stool samples, and Taiwanese patients are unlikely to come in groups, so it makes sense to set aside a stall for testing purposes. They just need to fix the sign to make it seem less like an issue of racial segregation.

My guess is either they don’t want you to cheat using a local person’s sample or is a precaution since your “not certified yet”, I guess foreigner can use the other cubicles for the regular use.

But yeah it could be just simple segregation.

Making a mountain out of a molehill.

Guess you guys dont have to give a pee sample before you get a job like what we have to do here.

Every time i got a new job i had to go to a clinic and give a pee sample. They use this to test for drugs.

And you can NOT just use any bathroom.

There was ALWAYS one bathroom expressly for this purpose. It may not be used for ANY OTHER PURPOSE, or by anyone other then those giving pee test samples.

The clinics i went to always had one bathroom set up for this. It was checked by an attendant BEFORE and AFTER you gave your sample. And you are instructed NOT TO FLUSH .

This was what I thought. You still have to give stool samples in some cases, don’t you? Sick people in particular shouldn’t be using the same loos as those who potentially have intestinal parasites.