Bloody hell. censorship in the west

Why would Saudi Arabia ban it?

• "bloody"
  • "hell"
  • the beer
  • the bikini
  • the camel-shampooing

0 voters

[quote]First it was banned by Britain for its use of the word “bloody” and now Canada has vetoed a scene in a controversial Australian tourism campaign where a character lures visitors by saying “We’ve poured you a beer!” Just days after Britain’s television advertising regulator lifted its ban on the ad, which centres on the slightly risque phrase “bloody hell,” Australian Tourism Minister Fran Bailey said Canadian regulators had now lost their sense of humour. “Buying a mate a beer is about as Australian as you can get. But the Canadian regulator has banned the shot because implied unbranded alcohol consumption (a part-empty beer glass) is unacceptable,” Bailey said in a statement.
While Canada doesn’t appear to have a problem with the word “bloody,” it has also prevented the ad from being broadcast during two family programmes because of the word “hell.” The ads begin with characters saying: “We’ve poured you a beer and we’ve had the camels shampooed, we’ve saved you a spot on the beach … and we’ve got the sharks out of the pool.” They end with a bikini-clad woman on a beach asking “so where the bloody hell are you?”[/quote] link

Now American Cultural Conservatives are getting into the fray.

[quote]
The American Family Association (AFA), which has more than two million members and leads campaigns against abortion and gay rights, was upset with the bikini-clad model Lara Bingle’s use of “bloody” and “hell” in the ad’s tagline.

AFA members are expected to bombard Tourism Australia with thousands of emails and phone calls in coming weeks to vent their feelings.

Members are also expected to boycott Australia as a holiday destination.

“I just feel pretty sure the typical American family who is watching TV with their children and they’re exposed to this ad are going to be upset,” AFA director of special projects, Randy Sharp, said.

"I don’t want my children to hear that phrase.

"It’s a shocking phrase because we’re not familiar with it.

“I guess they use it all the time in Australia, but it’s a foreign language here so I think it’ll have a negative impact rather than positive.”[/quote]
link

It raises interesting questions…

Those Aussies are a fucking disgrace, right enough.

The American Family Association (AFA) is free to any thing they bloody well please.

The USA is like that ya know…allowing freedom of expression and all that.

Got a problem with that?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

That’s hilarious. Like Canadian television doesn’t have a bazillion beer comericials, all of which have implied alcohol consumption.