Blowing up mosques

Not sure whether your comments were restricted to the Middle East, but in southern Spain, that was common, and there are other examples in formerly Arab-held regions, such as the church of Saint Nicholas in Mytilini, Greece, andSaint Sophia church in Istanbul.

When I lived in Spain, I visited C

Looks like Iraq is heading towards a civil war. And yes, I do blame twice-elected president George W. Bush for that because his war of terror created the conditions for that (and many other things like e.g. the terror attacks).

You’re so cute, Rascal.

I was thinking that this thread would sink like a rock now that blame has been placed on the insurgents and Bush has pledged money to repair the damage to the mosque. Now, the thread has been saved.

Some people grow so attached to their cause celebres. :bravo:

Let the fireworks fly, I’m off to dream about nuking Iran.

Pleasant dreams, Fred.

Pleasant dreams, Fred.[/quote]

You mean … you mean … he is HIM, HIM ???

Take trebuchet… same number of letters as fredsmith. Look at the first four letters: t is a vertical inversion of f. b is a horizontal inversion of d. Ergo fred.
And he wants to nuke Iran.
Nuf said.
:laughing:

Yeah, but people didn’t really tend to HIDE there or use these places as tactical operation centers.

You’re a genius, Dragonbones.

“The trebuchet was the dominant siege weapon in Europe from 850AD to 1350AD, lasting 100 years after the introduction of gunpowder. In England it was called an Ingenium, and the technicians which worked on the weapon were Ingeniators (Engineers). Larger versions were able to throw large stones, cows or even shunned negotiators. Rotting flesh was also popular.”

That describes Fred’s polemical style to a tee.

[quote=“spook”]You’re a genius, Dragonbones.

“The trebuchet was the dominant siege weapon in Europe from 850AD to 1350AD, lasting 100 years after the introduction of gunpowder. In England it was called an Ingenium, and the technicians which worked on the weapon were Ingeniators (Engineers). Larger versions were able to throw large stones, cows or even shunned negotiators. Rotting flesh was also popular.”

That describes Fred’s polemical style to a tee.[/quote]

:smiley: :smiley: :bravo: :stuck_out_tongue: Harz Harz

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Can’t find it now, but I did read earlier that yes, naturally, the US is being blamed. And with some measure of truth. The US is blamed for creating the current state of lawlessness which has led to the rise in terror attacks.

I don’t see anything incorrect in this statement. You can waffle on all you like about Saddam’s regime and the people’s reaction to it, but hell’s bells, at least they didn’t face suicide bombings in market places and places of worship.

Sadly I can’t see any way to resolve this that doesn’t include a strong US resolve to stay and sort it out. I only fear the US public will lose it’s balls, flee and shutter up . . . again.

HG.[/quote]

Well OK, indirectly the tactical mistake of attacking the hornet’s nest Iraq has led to the chaos we have now,
And yes, only alternative is to sort it out now.

But directly I would first blame the terrorists. I would never blame Bush for the mosques being blown up. This is a bit like blaming Columbus for the almost-anhilation of native Indians in North America.

Although, wait a minute…

[quote=“spook”]You’re a genius, Dragonbones.

“The trebuchet was the dominant siege weapon in Europe from 850AD to 1350AD, lasting 100 years after the introduction of gunpowder. In England it was called an Ingenium, and the technicians which worked on the weapon were Ingeniators (Engineers). Larger versions were able to throw large stones,
[color=blue]cows[/color]
or even shunned negotiators. Rotting flesh was also popular.”

That describes Fred’s polemical style to a tee.[/quote]

Right! I don’t want no more talk like that from you, no more, you empty-headed animal, food trough wiper.
I fart in your general direction.
You mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
Now go away, and stop taunting the dead, or I shall taunt you a second time.

No?

Fetchez la vache!

You know what comes next.

:moo: “moo”
:yay:
“Run away! Run awaaaaay!”

:wink:

Just kidding about trebuchet and fred, btw. Best wishes to both of them! :wink:

Back to the ball game, it is looking pretty bad in the aftermath of the shrine bombing. Being stuck in the middle of the insurgency has been bad enough… this could be pure hell.

[quote=“BBC: Shrine fury sparks Iraq killings”]Iraqi police have recovered at least 50 bullet-riddled bodies of people believed killed to avenge a bomb attack on an important Shia Muslim shrine.

A curfew has been called in the capital Baghdad and dozens of Sunni mosques have been attacked across the country.

A prominent Arab reporter and her crew have been killed in Samarra, where they had gone to cover the attack on the shrine in the central Iraqi city.

Iraq’s leaders are warning publicly about the dangers of a civil war.

“We are facing a major conspiracy that is targeting Iraq’s unity,” President Jalal Talabani said.

“We should all stand hand in hand to prevent the danger of a civil war.”[/quote]

[quote=“Jaboney”]this could be pure hell.
[/quote]

Huge overstatement. I think it will take a lot more than 50 bullet-riddled bodies and a blown up Shia mosque to cause a civil war. This is the work of a few Sunni extremists. The average Shia is probably upset about the holy mosques in Samara being damaged, but the majority of Iraqis are tough and resolute. They put up with huge casualties (1 million) during the Iran-Iraq war, and they put up with the evils of the Saddam regime for more than 25 years. Even though the country is divided along ethnic and religious lines, I don’t think these bombings will cause civil war. The majority of Iraqis are sick of war and want mobile phones, fully stocked stores, and a secure job.

[quote=“Chewycorns”][quote=“Jaboney”]this could be pure hell.
[/quote]

Huge overstatement. I think it will take a lot more than 50 bullet-riddled bodies and a blown up Shia mosque to cause a civil war. This is the work of a few Sunni extremists. The average Shia is probably upset about the holy mosques in Samara being damaged, but the majority of Iraqis are tough and resolute. They put up with huge casualties (1 million) during the Iran-Iraq war, and they put up with the evils of the Saddam regime for more than 25 years. Even though the country is divided along ethnic and religious lines, I don’t think these bombings will cause civil war. The majority of Iraqis are sick of war and want mobile phones, fully stocked stores, and a secure job.[/quote]

Yea, well, we’ll just have to wait and see what CNN and AL jazeera want to do with it.

How to tell if you’re a neoconservative:

#9: If you blame the news media for most of the setbacks in Iraq because you can’t think of anyone or anything else to blame then you’re a neoconservative.
:slight_smile:

[quote=“spook”]How to tell if you’re a neoconservative:

#9: If you blame the news media for most of the setbacks in Iraq because you can’t think of anyone or anything else to blame then you’re a neoconservative.
:slight_smile:[/quote]

We Germans said

don’t do it
:serenade:

And then we said, there will be chaos

:flowers:

We said it will be a terror nest

:dance:

We said the sunnites will kill the shiites or however they are called

:banana:

But nobody likes the nosey Germans, soo…

:happybiker: :moped: :moped: :birthday:

IN they go!

And now nobody likes us nosy Germs, so Fred would surely say this is all our fault

:moon:

As a good citizen of the formerly occupied territory I agree with him of course

:lick: :beatnik:

:laughing: Nice one Bob H.

Just a thought, in the scheme of things, a few cartoons by infidels in a Danish fish wrap or believers, albeit of a somewhat different order, blowing up a mosque, which is worse? Do you think now they’ll ease up on threatening the cartoonists?

HG

[quote=“trebuchet”]You’re so cute, Rascal.

I was thinking that this thread would sink like a rock now that blame has been placed on the insurgents and Bush has pledged money to repair the damage to the mosque. Now, the thread has been saved.

Some people grow so attached to their cause celebres. :bravo:

Let the fireworks fly, I’m off to dream about nuking Iran.[/quote]
sniff . . … sniff, sniff . . . . sniff … . . this smells a lot like a Fred Smith to me :slight_smile:

Bodo

Not sure whether your comments were restricted to the Middle East, but in southern Spain, that was common, and there are other examples in formerly Arab-held regions, such as the church of Saint Nicholas in Mytilini, Greece, andSaint Sophia church in Istanbul.

When I lived in Spain, I visited C