Blu-Ray Affordability Watch

I keep waiting for these things to get cheap enough for me. I noticed that at Blockbuster, the players are around 7,000NT, which is getting better. But the discs are still at about 1,000NT each. I need to wait a little bit longer.

Our DVD rental shop has Blu-Ray discs playing all the time, on a screen right next to a normal DVD player playing the same movie on the exact same type of TV. Unless you have freakish vision, there’s basically no difference between the two – nothing that I can see, at least. Certainly NOTHING that warrants the extra cash. Don’t be a sucker!

I don’t know, I got a lot of comments that the Blu Ray versions looks crisper on my HDTV, I think there’s a noticeable difference, maybe it’s dependent on the quality of the lesser player, the connections you use, and the TV and its settings (of course). Some companies in the US (I wanna say Circuit City but it might have been Best Buy too, can’t remember) were known to use overly-split signals and downtuning of the TVs they don’t want to push (so they can push the more expensive ones).

I will say this: I was pissed off enough with the cost of the discs that I tried a copy I got in Thailand, and it has terrible skipping and out of sync problems - maybe they’ve worked that out over the past 6 months, but I suggest caution…

I think blu-ray discs can hold a lot more stuff, so you can get more deleted scenes and director’s commentary and stuff like that. And you don’t need to worry so much about which region code it has on it.

Ah. I see. I never look at that stuff, and my DVD player plays anything on a disc, so I guess Blu Ray is unnecessary for me.
(People actually CLICK on those DVD “featurette” things? Who knew!)

Those Brazillian donkey sex movies don’t usually have the extras on them anyway.

That’s because they don’t need them. What you see is what you dream about getting.

Maybe you should get laser eye surgery or a new HDTV? :laughing: The difference is pretty noticeable even on average quality authored blu ray discs. There may be some really terribly authored discs that aren’t discernibly different from a DVD, but they would have to be the exception rather than the norm.

Yeah, it depends on the TV. No point investing in a blu-ray if you have a shite TV.

Maybe you should get laser eye surgery or a new HDTV? :laughing: The difference is pretty noticeable even on average quality authored blu ray discs. There may be some really terribly authored discs that aren’t discernibly different from a DVD, but they would have to be the exception rather than the norm.[/quote]
Its right there in front of me every time I go in. Exact same kind of TVs, side by side in a special display case thingy – Sony Bravio or something. Sure, there’s probably a bit of difference if you really pay attention, but fuck’s sake! It’s just TV. :unamused: Certainly not worth the extra expense, as far as I’m concerned. And if you didn’t have the normal DVD player to compare it with you SURE wouldn’t see the difference. Even the kids working in the shop have agreed with me on that one.

buy a new TV at 3C and they will throw one in for free to sweeten the pot.

The best deal for a long time was to just buy a PS3, it uses a Blu Ray DVD player to load the games, so it’s essentially a Blu Ray DVD player with games if you ever wanna play them.

I got mine 1.5 years ago at FNAC in Asia World for about 9000, played one game for one or two days and use it now exclusively for Blu Ray and the occasional AVI off the computer - I’d say it was money well spent for a movie nut like me, the quality is pretty frickin good on my BENQ HD.

Money well spent yeah, right after the super robot toilet seat

http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=86869&start=10

I have to say there is definitely a significant difference between a blu-ray and a standard DVD as far as affordability and best bang for the buck, its got to be the PS3. It can also run as a media box for any files on your PC.

sandman’s eyes are simply getting worse. you know…evolved age, the hard life :boo-hoo: :laughing:

For sure, BR is better

[quote=“ceevee369”]sandman’s eyes are simply getting worse. you know…evolved age, the hard life :boo-hoo: :laughing:

For sure, BR is better[/quote]
Its seven times the price. It might be a wee bit sharper, for those who care, but seven times sharper? Get real! :unamused:

Small quibble, but it doesn’t seem to play all formats of files from the PC - I play avi but some avi’s, mpg’s, etc don’t seem to be detected by the PS3 - better check their specs first if that’s your interest

I noticed my local Carrefour clearing out some for a lot cheaper than that.
Around 4000 I think.

No point getting Blu-Ray unless you have a state-of-the-art TV and sound system. You want the extra features like “Director’s Commentary” and “The Making Of”? Most quality DVDs have that anyway (albeit in a 2/3-disc format). You just need to drag your butt off the sofa and change the DVD. :wink:

I’ve seen quite a difference in quality in TV sets here, but there’s not much point in going super HDTV and BlooRay just to watch MPEG-1 cable TV via tuppenny connectors. If you on the other hand have HD source material and the various boxes are connected properly, and you have a TV with a good colour engine, IMHO the results can be fantastic. No point in using composite interlaced video on your new Sony Bravia, for example, but I’ve seen them set up that way with old DVD players that could have produced component progressive.

In Carry Four they’re selling Sony BluRay machines for 7k. If there’s enough decent HD content out there that’s not a bad price. But I wonder if the Sonys can play hookey DVDs too… I just need to get a decent TV!

Are there a lot of new releases out on BluRay? Haven’t noticed.

New releases? Tons. But all just the usual shitty Hollywood blockbusters, as far as I can see. I’ve yet to see a Blu Ray disc in my shop that I’d want to see, and they have a whole wall of them now.
I don’t even know if my TV is up to Blu Ray in any case – a 42 inch Panasonic Vizia of some sort with all kinds of bells and whistles. Not much point, though, if there’s nothing to actually watch on the thing other than Nicholas Cage and Beloos Weelis.