Bluegrass

Hello, I am looking for people to practice bluegrass with in Taipei. I have played guitar for ten years, but never really focused on a specific style. I’d like to focus on bluegrass, so if anyone is interested please let me know ~

Forward roll, reverse forward, alternate thumb roll, foggy mountain roll. Unfortunately , I don’t jam I play single which I’m sure you know is a different skill. I also can’t read music notation only banjo tab. I’m very interested to watch your progress into Blue Grass though I’m a big fan of it, as well as British, Irish and American folk music. I tend to two finger pick on my banjo , but I sometime Blue Grass up songs such as Pretty Polly. What Taiwan needs is not more people good at the violin but good fiddle players. Which would be so easy for many of the talented musicians here if they did not have that snobbery against non classical music. I once suggested to a young talented violinist that she try some blue grass on it, her parents banned her from ever speaking to me again ha ha:rofl:

Yes, yes, that’s what Taiwan needs, fiddlers. :sweat_smile:

I will be back … It will be fall of 2024 though - you just need to wait 5 years.

I play Old-Timey Appalachian fiddle, banjo ( clawhammer) and guitar.

On fiddle, Bluegrass is very close stylistically, and I am very interested in learning the breaks etc., that would allow me to transition.

On guitar I am a fair bit more versatile, playing rhythm for most styles, and with ok leads for bluegrass and blues. I also play a lot of fingerstyles on guitar as well as classical (which I learned last funny enough).

I know 5 years is an eternity in Taiwan, but of you are still around- we can play some for sure!

1 Like

I’m curious as to your plan of attack with bluegrass. For the guitar and the other instruments it’s very interesting in that there’s the basis of the song and then you have to take your break on your instrument. That excludes fiddle tunes mind you which are kind of a different animal.

My advice for starting out with bluegrass:

1. Listen to a ton of it and find the musicians (guitarists) you like (note: Tony Rice is unbelievable)

2. Once you have the basic structure down, isolate the chops they use as accents during the song proper

3. Study the break inside out - learn it note for note, or as close as possible

Now I know some would complain that this isn’t original at all or that I have my own style blah blah blah. However, you could do much worse than being a Tony Rice copycat. That and bluegrass is a very specific style that you need to learn the basics of before adding your own stuff. If you have learned 20 or so songs and the breaks that go with them, you should have a good knowledge of the style as a whole and be able to figure out some of your “own” style at that point.

Anyways that’s just my two cents and I hope you have fun learning.

The music you’re doing sounds pretty cool to me. Sometimes a jam can just be other musicians following someone who knows a song well - if you’re into that.

I play a few songs in a two-finger style as well as a couple (very poorly) in three finger. Banjo players unite!!!

Do you have any favorite players that you style yourself off of? For some reason you make me think of Dock Boggs; check him out if you haven’t already.

1 Like

Yes Doc Boggs. You got it spot on. I’m impressed

I’ll be here (unless I’m.dead), but even older than now. :sunglasses: My eye site is getting pretty bad but I guess I’ll still be able to do some pickin

Enjoy this. It is one of my favorite versions of “Country Blues” , by Jody Stecher and Kate Brislin. (As a side note, all of their albums are available in their channel! I had no idea)

https://youtu.be/IAB6XqQD8BU

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goqrpM4qvN4&list=RD1cJRRc8FToQ&index=24

This is a favourite for me

and another by the same singer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FG-IA3sdxA&list=RD1cJRRc8FToQ&index=27

1 Like

Roscoe is great. He is also rather hardcore, and not for most modern tastes.

1 Like

Its to my taste though, for sure :sweat_smile:

1 Like

They were the death metal of their time except well better. “Sugar Baby” is one of my favorites too. Nice one

Bright Sunny South.
This version.has very sad lyrics but a magical sound. Pretty moving.
Bright Sunny South

I don’t know how to embed it , maybe you can. Thanks

Looks like we will be in Taiwan pretty soon- likely end of November! Anyone want to meet and trade some tunes?
@crusher
@geajvop
@Bear_it

2 Likes

hi there! I just moved to taipei, and stumbled upon this thread - I’m a (beginner) old time fiddler looking for folks to jam with. would love to meet up whenever you arrive!

1 Like

I am definitely game. I will be bringing my banjo and my Classical guitar with me. I might pick up a steel string guitar after we are settled. Feel free to PM me.

1 Like

Hi guys! Old time banjo (and beginner fiddler) here in town - I’ve dabbled in bluegrass too. Are you guys jamming? @cgv12 @Noel

1 Like

Where are you ?

2 Likes

Maaaaaan, I forgot about this thread. We are currently in Kaohsiung, where we are likely relocating to permanently. If anyone comes down here I am down to jam for sure.

2 Likes