Boar vs. Pig?

Is it gonna be the year of the pig or the boar?

• Boar
  • Pig

0 voters

OK which is it?

Is it gonna be the year of the Boar or the year of the Pig?

There aren’t individual years in the Chinese Zodiac for both the boar AND the pig… are there??? I dunno…

Don’t tell me they’re the same animal… cuz they’re not… I saw a Naruto episode about it :slight_smile:

And if you can support your explanation I’d appreciate it.

Boar vs. Pig.
Go.

We say and remember

also chicken v rooster, mouse v rat v gerbil, cow v ox etc…

The Chinese zhu just means pig as far as I know, not specifically boars.

is there a chinese character for “boar” that you are aware of, sir?

[quote=“FrankInTaipei”]is there a chinese character for “boar” that you are aware of, sir?[/quote]I’m the last person you should ask about Chinese. Maybe, gongzhu 公豬 is closer to “boar”, it’s not a single character though.

Thanks for trying to answer, anyways.
Anyone out there with 733t chinese h4Xing skillz who wants to weigh iN?

Some translations pick the male version of the animal. For what reasons, I don’t know. So instead of “Year of the Pig”, you get “Year of the Boar”; instead of “Year of the Chicken”, you get “Year of the Rooster”. The Chinese word “zhu” is not sex specific, thus, “pig” is the more appropriate translation.

ok; well, a rooster is a male chicken; but a boar is not a male pig, is it!!! It’s a different animal!! it’s got big crazy tusks… right?

sigh

i gotta go to the zoo.

I think definition 1.a. answers your question. You must be thinking of definition 2. In that case, the Chinese term would be 野豬, literally “wild pig”.

American Heritage Dictionary boar (bôr, bōr) n. 1 a. An uncastrated male pig. b. The adult male of any of several mammals, such as the beaver, raccoon, or guinea pig. 2. The wild boar.

It’s just an effort by occidentals to sound more macho. I mean, who wants to be born in the year of the sheep? I was born in Year of the Ram, baby! :laughing:

Oorah!

and sheep is better than goat.

There is probably such a character, based on my experience with rare and obsolete characters. Finding that character is another matter. I’ll have a looksee later.

There is probably such a character, based on my experience with rare and obsolete characters. Finding that character is another matter. I’ll have a looksee later.[/quote]

If the definition is a male pig, then the Chinese character for that is

(jia1).
If the definition is a wild boar, then the character for pig

(zhu1) can work as it encompasses all pig-like creatures although you’d want to prefix it with a

(ye3, wild) for clarity. Other alternatives are

(qu2) or
[豕軍]
(jun4, a small wild pig/boar, 康熙字典:小野豕). Else, you can use

(huan1) for strong, short and stumpy creatures which includes the wild boar.