Boarding call for flight G.O.1984, flight G.O.1984

It’s already happened:

http://miami.about.com/cs/nudistsnaturists/a/aa011603a.htm

No, I think the English words made the passengers worry about what the Arabic writing said.
If there was absolutely no English on the T-shirt, then no-one would have questioned the Arabic. I’m pretty sure of this.

[quote]No, I think the English words made the passengers worry about what the Arabic writing said.
If there was absolutely no English on the T-shirt, then no-one would have questioned the Arabic. I’m pretty sure of this.[/quote]
Well, let’s compromise then on what people people got worried was the combination of the English and the Arabic they didn’t understand. Fair enough and hence why I agree with the additional security check, but insisting on removing the T-Shirt on the grounds that it was offensive (which it IMO was not) was OTT.

Well…yesterday you asked who decides what’s offensive, right? At an airport, I guess the security staff and your fellow passengers decide. On an internet forum someone else decides.

Offended out of ignorance? Not me for sure.

I know about the White Rose movement. And see it quoted in defense of or related to the Arabic world offends me. Or what was the point of the Arabic subtitles? Or was it some overtitle? Übertitelt?

:raspberry:

Ok, so how many passengers do we need to feel offended? One enough? Some? all? Will there be a vote?

Ok, so how many passengers do we need to feel offended? One enough? Some? all? Will there be a vote?[/quote]

I suppose like all other matters in life, from the mandatory age of retirement to the age of sexual consent, there will be a certain amount of arbritrariness to the whole process. Whoop de do. No one’s civil rights are beign violated, no one is being refused service as long as they comply with some basic rules.

Will there be a vote? No, that would be silly. Restaurants don’t vote to be non-smoking, or to serve beer instead of wine. Businesses will make their rules and as long as they are not outrageous and cause civil suits to be brought against them, they will be followed. “No shirt, no shoes, no service” will translate for airlines into “no clothing with offensive designs (such as…), no mentioning of bombs, violence, no suspicious behavior, hi-jacking, etc.” Don’t forget there are already a number of new regulations about what can and cannot be carried on an airplane. Last time I flew overseas I was not really thinkng about all the changes since I had not been out of Taiwan since 911. At Vancouver airport I had to leave a number of things behind at the check including much of the contents of a nice nail file kit I had gotten for Chrsitmas. When I passed through HK customs they ask me to leave behind the rest of the items. I arrived in Taipei with an empty leather nail file case. You should see my nails now. It’s really an outrage I was treated this way.

Why make this out to be an impossible to manage situation when it is not?

Does anyone here really doubt which side of this debate Hans and Sophie Scholl would be on?

“On a wall by the entrance the word ‘Freedom’ had been written in huge letters. ‘What bastard did that?’ snarled an older student. . .”