Boats to HK?

Is it possible to get a boat to HK or anywhere else close by?

You can take a Star Cruise to Ishigaki jima or Okinawa but it depends on the season I think. I took the Ishigaki cruise last year but weather prevented us from landing and we turned back a day early.

Japan and Taiwan are negotiating about a link between Hualien and Okinawa.

Star Cruise also periodically do a run between HK and Keelung and are negotiating for a Keelung-Xiamen link but I don’t know if its approved yet.

There was a ferry to Okinawa up until recently. I took a ferry, the Macmosa, from Kaohsiung to Macau in 1989, but I think it isn’t running any more.

I’m looking for budget options if poss. I also fancy some time at sea.

There are lots of fishing boats plying the Taiwan Strait, you could take one JinMen and swim the rest of the way, no visa required!

Yeah, there used to be a 24-hour boat from Kaoshers.
Me and Zender used to work with an ABC dude who was on like the 5th year or something of an overstay, and anytime he wanted to leave the country, he had to take the train down south then catch the boat, because Immigration down there didn’t have computers and wouldn’t tag him.
Probably gone now.

A few days ago the Ch!na Post reported on plans for a Taichung-Xiamen ferry. If regular cross-strait ferry services begin they are most likely to go to Xiamen rather than Hong Kong.

Check the Star Cruises website for Hong Kong to Taiwan cruises.

[quote=“wix”]A few days ago the Ch!na Post reported on plans for a Taichung-Xiamen ferry. If regular cross-strait ferry services begin they are most likely to go to Xiamen rather than Hong Kong.

Check the Star Cruises website for Hong Kong to Taiwan cruises.[/quote]

The website doesn’t even list Taiwan as a destination.

Can’t find any information.

Macmosa’s services ended in (I think) 1995, and the ship was sold to some Middle Eastern company.

Yeah well get this, The Economist recently mentioned plans for a bridge between Xiamen and main island Taiwan hopping from Jinmen (seriously!). Don’t think they won’t do it either! Of course it will be as wide as the streets of Beijing, which allow a convoy of tanks to fan out for maximum firepower.

HG

:astonished:

… which issue?

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]which allow a convoy of tanks to fan out for maximum firepower.
HG[/quote]

I don’t see why it would be in Taiwan’s best interests to invade China at this time. Madness.

:laughing:

I can’t recall, a colleague mentioned it and I nearly fell off my chair, and then when I settled down, I thought, you know, it is possible. They’re planning one from Zhuhai - Macau - HK, so why not?

HG