Bob the builder a great Theologist

So you’re saying making that statement would be illegal in the UK?

According to the link I posted that’s how I interpreted the article. I don’t think it’s black and white, it seems like it depends who says it. Did you come to the same conclusion?

Sorry, missed that somehow. Reading it now

Post Brexit I’m not sure if this would apply but, in the UK , I quote from Wiki
" The Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 inserted Section 4A into the Public Order Act 1986. That part prohibits anyone from causing alarm or distress. Section 4A states, in part:

(1) A person is guilty of an offence if, with intent to cause a person harassment, alarm or distress, he—

(a) uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour, or

(b) displays any writing, sign or other visible representation which is threatening, abusive or insulting,thereby causing that or another person harassment, alarm or distress.

(5) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or to both.[9]"

The key issue there seems to be a blasphemy law in Austria

1 Like

As far as I can tell in England it would depend on if you offended a large group of people. Therefore I would think a person with a large audience who said that would be more likely to get charged than say the average Joe on the street. Probably best not to say it in public as 1. You might get killed or your family might get killed and 2. You may get charged.
By the way does anyone remember “The Satanic Verses” controversy. Twenty years ago and still a very touchy topic it seems
https://youtu.be/3FTEMHP4t9c

Do you know if there have been any prosecutions under the law?

Some interesting stuff here, but nothing about 4A

Here’s something

https://www.cps.gov.uk/cps/news/summary-what-offences-may-be-committed-if-someone-shouted-or-approached-another-person

and

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/racist-and-religious-hate-crime-prosecution-guidance

1 Like

The only prosecutions I’ve found, in the UK at least, have been a combination of stating that Muhammad was a paedophile and some kind of physical threat (such as banging on a person’s window and shouting foreigner).

1 Like

If Shouting Waigworen was a crime in Taiwan the jails here would be full! :rofl:
I’ll look for some cases of prosecutions of Brits calling Mohamed a pedo tomorrow.! See what I can find. It seems like since 9/11 the whole world has got more dystopian.
It seems he had those tendencies not on the scale of Jimmy Saville but still looks very guilty to me.

They lock you up for tweeting mean things about Islam there don’t they?
glasgow%20police

1 Like

If combined with a real or perceived physical threat then, yes. I’m not sure if the public offence law could apply in Taiwan.

1 Like

There is a law upholding “public morality” in Taiwan. I feel uneasy about “morality” laws especially when it is not defined as exactly what is immoral (or at least I can’t find it). A couple were charged with that and a few other things here about two years ago for having sex in a car (not while driving ha).

I believe this legal principle has been deployed against nudists (meeting in secluded places, mind you) as well as some tantric sex workshop (ditto).

1 Like

care to clarify that statement? Are you saying free speech is constrained in other places?

The European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) says

Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.

As well as

The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or the rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.

Free speech is different from freedom of speech?

Actually I’m very confused with this. Fox example holocaust denial is illegal in Germany but not the UK. A multitude of symbols considered far right are illegal in Germany even as tatoos, but you could not say Mohamed was a pedophile?.The holocaust of course certainly happened but Mohamed almost certainly had a child bride and it appears was ok with sex slaves but both are risky things to say? I admit I’m confused with this. I was brought up Methodist but I’m fine with any criticisms of it as long as I can return fire (metaphorically speaking).
Is it that it would fall under hurting the reputation of Mohamed ?

I’m not convinced this is true, except where there are enforced blasphemy laws (which should be abolished IMO) or in concert with some kind of aggravated harassment.

1 Like

British Holocaust denier David Irving (I mean that Irving is British, not that he denied a British Holocaust) lost a libel suit on the basis of his writings, and later spent 3 years in an Austrian prison on the basis of things he wrote and said while outside Austria.

Europeans have been known to show up in Canada asking for refugee status because of that. Not very many, and not very often, but it does happen.

Anyway, since someone has chosen to make blasphemy the focus of the discussion about the mosque massacre in NZ, the exact words in question (in German and translated into English) can be found here:

I won’t quote those paragraphs but will quote some other parts of the decision, starting with summaries of the decisions by the Austrian courts.

The ECHR then quotes the relevant national and international laws and high profile expert opinions and goes on to explain its unanimous decision to reject the appeal.

I’m posting this to elucidate the situation, not to argue for or against any particular interpretation of Austrian or international law.

Btw, this has got me thinking, how old was Mary? A quick search yields the following:

Of course, to be fair, we would need to make a list of all the major figures of religious veneration and ask whether they ever did anything that would criminal or immoral by today’s standards.

Siddhartha didn’t have relations iirc. His mother didn’t conceive in the first 20 years of her marriage, apparently, but I can’t find the age at which she was married.

Next…