BOCA needs marriage license from USA for resident visa

I am married in Taiwan to a Taiwanese citizen. Started all my paper for resident visa but BOCA says I need marriage license from my own country (USA). They say AIT affidavit of marriage can’t be accepted. Anyone have any experience of trying to get resident visa to apply for ARC for Taiwan? I’ve been trying to tell them that USA recognize marriage license from Taiwan but they say i need one from my home country.

I don’t recall hearing about this, maybe I’m out of the loop. It was always considered that:

The original and a copy of the certificate of marriage registration issued by your government and authenticated by an ROC mission abroad. If you are from a country that does not have a marriage registration system, the certificate of marriage shall be submitted.

The US does not have a national marriage registration system, so:

Foreigners who want to marry in Taiwan will also need to provide written proof from their home government that they are single and legally free to marry. This document must then be authenticated by the Taiwan Bureau of Consular Affairs. Because there is no centralized marriage registry in the U.S. to confirm single status, Taiwan authorities will accept a sworn statement of single status (an Affidavit notarized by AIT) from U.S. citizens. For more information about notarial services at AIT, please visit the “Notary Services” page. Once notarized by AIT, this Affidavit must then be authenticated by the Taiwan Bureau of Consular Affairs.

Has that changed? There’s still no national registry as far as I know. What do they mean, you need to register your marriage at the state level?

1 Like

That’s what I kept telling them but they don’t seem to understand. They kept saying you need to have marriage from your own country.

Well, they should know. Was there any printed document they could give you to explain?

I actually sent all the documents with the printed section that like above you sent. They sent to their supervisor and still told me that I will need to register in USA. So we just went in circles.

Right, but did they give you any printed material with this requirement listed? I guess not. Maybe check with AIT, considering this requirement does not conform with AIT’s own printed material? Or maybe someone here will know more.

What is your current visa status? Are you on a visa which can be converted to a resident visa?

@jth4482 I have the exact same problem! I even asked US lawyers, and they said whatever marriage certificate I have (issued in Taiwan) is legal in the U.S. There’s no way to “register” here again to get the US document. How were you able to solve your problem? Thank you!