Boeing foreign policy sucks

but the seattle PI did to a story on sunday on Lu, a real puff piece, and nothing today on the BOEING shit. WHY?

Sunday, August 17, 2003

“Although we have seen several women among the national leaders and deputy leaders in Asia, they have all come from powerful and influential families,” Lu said. "If they’re not someone’s daughter, they’re someone’s wife.

But I went from prison to the office of the president. I don’t mean to brag of my achievements;

I just want to tell the story of Taiwan’s struggles and successes."

seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/1 … ant17.html

Taiwanese troublemaker goes from prison to statehouse

By MARK TRAHANT
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER EDITORIAL PAGE EDITOR

Annette Lu tells a story.

When Lu Hsiu-lien, or Annette Lu, was a law student at the National Taiwan University, a professor predicted that “with so many women studying law, there will be a great revolt under heaven.”

“Ten years later, I began to take part in the women’s movement,” Lu says. “Sixteen years later I became active in the opposition movement, first revolting against the culture and then against the political status quo.”

It was that great revolt that landed Lu in prison, not heaven.

Her crime was a 20-minute speech. She was sentenced to 12 years in prison.

Isn’t it a bit ridiculous to expect Boeing - or any company - to even have a “foreign policy”? Companies are in business to make money and will deal with the most unsavoury characters unless forbidden by law.

Remember all the foreign investment in apartheid-governed South Africa?

[quote=“Soddom”]Isn’t it a bit ridiculous to expect Boeing - or any company - to even have a “foreign policy”? Companies are in business to make money and will deal with the most unsavoury characters unless forbidden by law.

Remember all the foreign investment in apartheid-governed South Africa?[/quote]

Soddom, your comment could easily be applied to Taiwan’s government, except change “make money” to “establish diplomatic ties,” that is, “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is in business to establish diplomatic ties and will deal with the most unsavoury characters…” Charles Taylor being the exception, of course.

Granted, but Taiwan’s government was voted in to represent its people. Boeing does not.

still no SMOKING GUN. And no press coverage of Lu’s remarks in the Seattle papers, not even the wire services or New York Times. So who even heard her say “DAMN BOEING!”

I think this entire story was for domestic consumption, blame TVBS and the other tabloiders. did you read the PI editorial yet?

Formosa,

Better check the Apple Daily. This just in: Lu arrested at Airbus HQ after kung-fuing two security guards through a plate glass window, jumping on the reception desk, and giving a shocked PR manager a pink belly. Says she booked a table for four more than a month ago but China cancelled the request.

the shit is beginning to hit the fan, the seattle papers still refuse to report on this in their home turf, but outside Seattle, look:

Boeing irks Taiwan’s vice president

Bloomberg News THIS IS A WIRE SERVICE FOR BUSINESS EDITORS: around the world, even Seatlle, but will they print it in Boeing turf? No way. Now here’s a story: the censorship of the Lu story!

kansas.com/mld/kansas/business/6564547.htm

in a Kansas Newspaper

Taiwan’s vice president, Annette Lu, said Boeing Co. should give up an order from China Airlines after the world’s largest planemaker canceled her visit to its plant.

Lu, who was in Seattle on a transit stop on the way back from a trip to Panama, accused Boeing of bowing to political pressure from China in canceling the visit.

“Shame on Boeing,” Lu said. “If you want to make money, you’d better make friends, not enemies.”

AND

drum roll:

Boeing irks Taiwan's vice president - Wichita Eagle

Taiwan vice president lashes out at Boeing after visit cancelled - GoAsiaPacific.com

Oh give it a break Formosa. This “news” is no news. Every time a Taiwanese politician goes travelling overseas the local media hypes it up into a glorious state visit of international significance.

The Taipei Times and local TV may lead today’s “news” with this story, and Ms. Lu may rant like a petulant child, but this is another sad example of Taiwanese face politics about which none other than Mrs. Lu’s cronies give a shit.

I’m sure Boeing is terrified.

So if it’s no big deal, shut the f**** up.

Another big “face” story in the same paper today exposes the rampant DVD piracy in China while making no mention of the same in Taiwan. In fact it is DVD piracy in Taiwan which is the greater problem because, unlike China’s, Taiwan’s pirated discs are flooding the international markets.

Taiwan will never grow up while it is led by puerile politicians and fed by a face-saving media.

Soddom wrote: “This “news” is no news.”

Good points, Soddom, sir, in your post above re face politics. true. and i am going to take your very good advice and give it a rest. but before i do, sir, look, the international media, bloomberg news service, in particular, has now picked up the real story. It is NOT a domestic story anymore. WATCH tomorrow’s Taipei Times for a startling page one story.

Your move.

I thought the Taipei Times headline was a hoot; “given the bum rush”. I hadn’t heard that in phrase in 20 years. But it is perfect. I usually lambaste the clowns running that paper but to whoever did this headline, outstanting job.

I would slightly improve it by saying “Loony-Loser” Lu given bums rush welcome by Boeing big wigs. It kind of rhymes. The sub-head should have read:
L. L. Lu is dissed and dismissed by company unwilling to discuss Hello Kitty and airplane purchases.

My message to Boeing—“you made the right choice, smart move avoiding Lu”.

See, actually it is a very smart move on Boeing’s part. The folks that make the decisions on Boeing type purchases (i.e. the ROC Air Force and the aging KMT hacks running CAL) all despise Lu (as do I) so dissing her plays out great. Plus as an added bonus, such a move pleases the folks buying planes on the Mainland.

So all in all, good move.

take care,
Brian

The headline was interesting, and it’s obvious who wrote it, but actually the saying means to be kicked out of a place. Since Lu never made it into Boeing, the headline is wrong.
Besides, even given some leeway in the meaning, the implication is that Lu is a bum (of the vagrant kind as in “The bum couldn’t pay for his meal and was tossed out of the joint.”) and that would be editorializing – a no-no for a news story. (Unless she really does pick up stogies.)

But the author of the headline would say (I can hear it): So what? Who the hell cares? :smiling_imp:

Brian, in all due respect, and you are truly one of the great people here in Taiwan among the expat clowns, and we are all clowns now, no matter how “high” you think you are (this is not addressed to you Brian who strike me as the salt of the Oith)… but why do you so DESPIsE Miss Lu? Despise is such a hate-filled world, and while she is loony and all that, surely, she does not deserve your depising her. ANd more imporant, Sir Kennedy, you will have better health if you let it go and don’t go around despising people you hardly know so much. She’s nothing, it’s nothing. let it go. go with the flow. DESPISE? wow, you must really hate Tawian now. How soon before you go back home?

In protest, Lu should refuse to fly on Boeing planes. And Airbus, too, since those Europeans won’t let Chen land.

No need. With a face and attitude like hers, I assumed she had a broomstick. :laughing:

I heard via the grapevine in Seattle from a friend that works at Boeing Boeing that the Seattle Post Intelligencer newspaper is now fully alerted to this discussion here on forumosa.com and they plan to do a major story today or tomorrow in Seattle on the brouhahahahahahaha… Stay tuned.

My guess is Time and Newsweek will also do short takes next Monday, too. Watch! Lu done slammed the door in her own face, which is par for the course, for this Lady Pro.

Note: my informant in Seattle , at the Seattle Times newspaper, writes:

Dear Formosa,

Thanks for the heads up on the Lu story and the discussion on forumosa.com board. We weren’t aware of that here. Thanks again. I will alert the news side – and bring it up to the editorial
board meeting
this morning.

Yours,

beat reporter/Boeing news

No need. With a face and attitude like hers, I assumed she had a broomstick. :laughing:[/quote]

Soddom, that is downright mean. Anyway, her travel agent, in order to allow Lu to avoid flying on any Boeing jets, had her catapulted into Taiwan. Didn’t you hear the air raid sirens?

No need. With a face and attitude like hers, I assumed she had a broomstick. :laughing:[/quote]

Soddom, that is downright mean. Anyway, her travel agent, in order to allow Lu to avoid flying on any Boeing jets, had her catapulted into Taiwan. Didn’t you hear the air raid sirens?[/quote]

Leave my Lu Lu alone. You nasty ol’ warlocks. Boieng is the foolish party here.

Chou

Don’t worry Cho, the catapulter, knowing your love of Lu, targeted her for your office.

And people to wheel her through them, I’m sure :unamused:

Now the truth about this fiasco is coming out. And the Seattle Daily Times has a big story coming today too. Seems Lu lied. Sort of. She engineered this brouhaha to gain face in the Hall of Face. Sad woman.

Read today’s local papers to see the truth between the lines. TUrns out she was not disinvited. She was never invited. She invited herself. And then Boeing suggested visiting the port area instead of the corporate HQ and Lu went postal. Someone should mail her a letter.

1. Boeing criticized over Taiwan political visit
    Wednesday, August 20, 2003. Boeing criticized over Taiwan political visit. By TAN HWEE ANN BLOOMBERG NEWS. China Airlines says it plans to write a letter of complaint to The Boeing Co. after the aircraft manufacturer canceled a plant visit for Taiwan’s vice president.Vice President Annette Lu said Monday the company bowed to political pressure from China by canceling the trip to the Seattle plant. State-controlled
    Last modified: August 19, 2003
    URL: seattlepi.com/business/13574 … wan20.html

Boeing says it hasn’t yet received a letter from China Airlines.

“We feel that it is a very regrettable misunderstanding,” Saling said.

“Rather than a short, private visit to Boeing, we felt the port visit would be a more appropriate and meaningful venue,” Boeing spokesman Mark Hooper said in an e-mail.

“The Port of Seattle visit offered a more robust and public event that includes other businesses in the area associated with Taiwan.”