Boeing jet goes the distance - Sets New Record!

Boeing has another winner!
(pics at site)

[quote]Boeing jet goes the distance
Thursday, November 10, 2005

Impressive but around 10-12 hours is just as much as I can take - who would want to sit in a plane for 22 hours non-stop?

Airbus will do better … soon :slight_smile:

Is that really the route it took ? That’s a very long way around, flying in a big curve like that. Maps are flat and the Earth is round, you know… :loco:

[quote]Those engines generate up to 110,000 pounds of thrust for the 777-200LR, but at cruise altitude they only need to run at 17 to 20 percent of full power to push the big plane through the thin air at its cruising speed of Mach .84. On the record flight, the 777 cruised at Mach .83 to conserve fuel.[/quote]and[quote]The plane had 360,732 pounds of fuel before the engines were started in Hong Kong. It landed in London with 18,700 pounds remaining. The fuel before take off weighed more than the plane, the passengers and their bags.[/quote]Quite a good margin.

What’s the point? Where do you need to go that takes that long? And I’d need to be under general anaesthetic before I’d get on a plane for 22 hours. Madness.

Uhhh…folks…this is not a regular flight.
This was just a flight made for the record books.
There are no plans, at this time, of any airline offering this route.
This plane is not even going into service until next year.
:slight_smile:

awesome! i guess they might have taken the polar route and ended the flight in kiev or somewhere but what would have been the fun in that? :unamused:

So go halfway and then jump. Sheesh.

They’ve had sixteen years already.
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051110/ap_ … &printer=1

[quote]A Boeing Co. jet arrived in London from Hong Kong on Thursday, breaking the record for the longest nonstop flight by a commercial jet. The 777-200LR Worldliner - one of Boeing’s newest planes - touched down shortly after 1 p.m. (8 a.m. EST) at London’s Heathrow Airport after a journey of more than 13,422 miles. The previous record was set when a Boeing 747-400 flew 10,500 miles from London to Sydney in 1989.

The record-breaking attempt is part of Boeing’s fierce competition with its European rival Airbus. The Boeing 777-200LR Worldliner was designed to compete directly with the popular Airbus 340-500, which has a flight range of 10,380 miles.[/quote]
Airtruck couldn’t even beat the old record. :stuck_out_tongue: