Bojack Comes Back

If you don’t have a smartphone then you’re in the same situation as me: filling it all out by hand.

The worst part of that is that 2 pages are duplicates, and in the end they’re only used in the two interviews airside at TPE. If you submit the paper version then IME I was handed yet a third one to fill out (same page) just before the “brief” interview. The airport staff kept the original of this last one (and the two copies I filled out at LAX) and handed me a yellow carbon copy that has the day’s checkoff reporting form I now have to fill out each day (it’s on the back of the carbon copy).

Anyway, the system is not terrible. It’s not exactly fun after you’ve spent the previous 25 hours traveling - and at first it’s riotously confusing if you don’t speak Chinese - but it’s not that bad.

1 Like

How full was your EVA flight? Did the in flight service differ from previous flights?

I think there were a dozen in first class, and I counted 13 in premium economy. Maybe 3-4 dozen in Economy. Triple 7, so lots of unused real estate for sure.

Service differed only in that I had no choice of entree. It was simply served, but at least it was hot where it should be and cold where it should be (except the silverwear, but that’s normal).

That’s nothing compared to the EVA flight I took from Singapore to SFO in March, though. There were only 3 of us in premium economy, and maybe a dozen in Economy. I think first class went unused. That flight served two paper-bag meals, and both bags were filled with snacks only. That flight was a little scary in that it really brought home the idea that EVA is/was losing a fortune, and that things couldn’t go on that way much longer.

I thought yesterday’s flight was much better, and way more encouraging.

2 Likes

The worst part about LAX is that they played these insufferable “welcome to LA” messages by Allison Janney and Danny Trejo. Those were sandwiched among a third message that ominously intoned that LAX is now closed to the public, and if you aren’t driving Miss Daisy or flying then you’re subject to arrest and imprisonment.

At least Trejo sounded friendly. Janney’s tone was a little more entitled, at least in my book. I really could have done without both, though.

3 Likes

Looks like it’s time for you to finally take the plunge and learn Chinese (oh, and get your visa situation sorted out too). :grin:

2 Likes

Definitely. No doubt.

Once I’m out of the gulag I’m going to find me some Chinese to learn.

2 Likes

You realize there are tons of resources online, right?

1 Like

And you didn’t mention me! Boooooohjack…

2 Likes

Uh.

Thanks, guess I got me some browsin’ to do.

Beats making TikTok videos and watching Bojack reruns.

1 Like

Welcome back. Hope visit was good.

1 Like

Welcome back, mad dog. Wait …

(I think I actually learned of your return whilst stateside)

Congrats on that, and believe it or not you were missed (j/k).

1 Like

Gunna have to step back and say the worst part of LAX is LAX.

A guy can bitch a lot about United, but they do put their planes in the air on a regular basis.

Problem is they use terminals 7 and 8 at LAX, and (1) Tom Bradley International terminal is on the opposite side of LAX, (2) approximately 2 miles away - not joking, (3) there is no airside inter-terminal shuttle/rail/bus at LAX, (4) I still need a new hip, and (5) I was limping pretty good after my 45-minute hike to TBIT.

Currently undergoing renovation, and I hope they find a some way somehow to bus United fliers who are catching international flights. It’s 2020, LA.

1 Like

LAX is truly an unmitigated nightmare that I avoid at all costs. Most third world countries have better international airports. Not only do you have to walk through a long and confusing maze to get from point A to point B, you also have to dodge self-absorbed hipsters glued to their iPhones the whole way.

1 Like

It is ridiculous, I agree.

I actually did some online study to see where to find a shuttle to TBIT, but I guess I failed to notice that you have to go landside to catch it. So if you don’t want to clear customs all over again, you’re stuck with a major hike to get there. No airside shuttle service at LAX, not yet anyway. Not good.

It you can listen to some podcasts.
Like this one:

There have a good level system, which you can check here:
http://learningchinesethroughstories.com/how-to-listen/

And also plenty videos on YouTube, such as:

And

6 Likes

Welcome back.

Seems all is well.

Well is good. :banana:

3 Likes

My nickname for LAX is Gates of Hell.

2 Likes

Ha! The late Tom Petty knew how to deal with this. : P

Well, I won’t back down
No, I won’t back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won’t back down

Guy

1 Like

Unfortunately, they’ll tase you if you refuse to back down at LAX.

4 Likes