Bollywood for Idiot

So my kid is totally on this Bollywood jag right now (I don’t have any idea, don’t ask me), and I’d like to grab her a couple of DVDs.
But, like where do I start?
I know NOTHING about the various styles, genres, periods, etc.
If I kind of knew what I was looking for I figure I could pick a couple up at the Indian store by City Hall MRT I was just talking about in the saffron thread.
Anyone got a clue here???

I am slightly clued in. :smiley:

You can start with Jodha Akbar for its costumes, grandeur and ofcourse romance.

Then there all those light comedy-action romances like Singh is King etc. Mindlessly entertaining.

Bollywood has also gone ‘intelligent’ these days and we do have some good flicks but then they don’t have the song dance routine or are just tooo culture specific to be understood.

Yep, Jodha Akbar is a good start. Not as many sing and dance scenes as other movies I’ve seen but it is fantastic visually.

I have the soundtrack, and this weekend saw the DVD at teh local shop, so it shoulkd be readily available. Warning: it’s almost three hours…

…which I just found out in India it is the average lenght. I wanted to see a movie there but at midday they theaters were packed already. :astonished:

The otehr classics are a bit too sad for a teenager, me thinks, like Devdas or Monsoon Wedding -which also has an awesome score.

[quote=“divea”]I am slightly clued in. :smiley:

You can start with Jodha Akbar for its costumes, grandeur and ofcourse romance.

Then there all those light comedy-action romances like Singh is King etc. Mindlessly entertaining.

Bollywood has also gone ‘intelligent’ these days and we do have some good flicks but then they don’t have the song dance routine or are just tooo culture specific to be understood.[/quote]

Jeez, many thanks for your help, that’s plenty to get me started. :notworthy:

[quote=“Icon”]

The otehr classics are a bit too sad for a teenager, me thinks, like Devdas or Monsoon Wedding -which also has an awesome score.[/quote]

No worries there, she has a pretty heavily developed sense of Schadenfrude, she tends to snicker when people get run over.
In the movies, I mean.
And no, I have no idea from whence she inherited this charming character trait.
:whistle:

Yesterday we went to see Bombay Summer at Changchuan Theater. It had a very Latin flavor, I’d say, very Almodovarish. It is one of the new serious films, me thinks, no dancing, music just in the right amount.

More at: www.bombaysummer.com

The same theater will play Bling! Bling! Bollywood! starting December 31st.Party included: 350 per ticket. :discodance:

bollywood.pixnet.net/blog

You beat me tp it Icon. The husband just attended the film fest press conference (were you there?) and was enlightened.
Om Shanti Om and Billoo Barber are good hollywood flicks.

The latter accurately portraying Village life and Om Shanti Om being quintessentially Bollywood and the 400th version of the reincarnation plot. Both have good song and dance routines.

So enjoy!!

Definitely Devdas if you can find it. Sad or not, it’s a great film.

beyond that I’m not much help, sorry. Curse of the webslinger strikes again.

My mate back home reckons that he saw a Bollywood version of Robocop a few years ago.

I know there was a fashion for remaking Hollywood stuff a while back (e.g. When Harry met Sally got remade), but I can’t help thinking its bullshit.

I hope not, because that could be the most wonderful thing ever. Robocop falling in love with a woman from another village, overlong dance sequences.