Book about Chinese numbers? (philosophy, customs, history)

[quote=“gary”]here’s a quote from Needham’s Science and Civilization in China (Vol 7):

[snip…]

I’m kind of on the side of Hegel and Granet. I don’t doubt that some form of science (and the sciences) did develop in China. Yet I think tradition has done a great deal to hinder it’s development.

How kids are raised in schools? Ever see Chinese in the workplace? How much has tradition hindered the ability of Chinese to think?[/quote]

It’s been more than a decade since I’ve read Needham’s book. I’m just curious as to why you prefer to side with Hegel and Granet as opposed to Needham, who is also quite respected (you can take a look at his research institute here: nri.org.uk/index.html). Some would argue though that he is a bit too enthusiastic about Chinese achievements in some of his publications. However, he does have the advantage of having lived in a more modern time than both Hegel and Granet and hence has more access to the most current research/materials on matters Chinese. Personally, I think the truth is somewhere in between.

I do think that this line is very true during the dynastic eras: China had sciences but no science, no single conception or word for the overarching sum of them all.

However, modern Chinese societies (including Taiwan) is obviously very different.

[quote=“sjcma”]I’m just curious as to why you prefer to side with Hegel and Granet as opposed to Needham, who is also quite respected (you can take a look at his research institute here: nri.org.uk/index.html). Some would argue though that he is a bit too enthusiastic about Chinese achievements in some of his publications. However, he does have the advantage of having lived in a more modern time than both Hegel and Granet and hence has more access to the most current research/materials on matters Chinese. Personally, I think the truth is somewhere in between.

I do think that this line is very true during the dynastic eras: China had sciences but no science, no single conception or word for the overarching sum of them all.
[/quote]

It’s also my impression that Needham is a bit too enthusiastic about Chinese achievements. Needhman differs from Hegel and Granet from not having spent a lot of time with western philosophy and its methods (or problems).

It was Needham’s Grand Question I was thinking of earlier–why China had been overshot by the West in science and technology, despite its earlier success.

I might not have exactly meant I side more with Hegel and Granet. But I do take them very seriously. Unforunately, many of Granet’s works are not available in any language except the original French. I highly recommend his books, and learning French if you haven’t yet. :slight_smile: Chinese Civilization is available in English.

Here’s part of it’s introduction:

[Chinese] tradition was already fixed at about the time of the Christian era—towards the epoch when the country of China, at length united, forms a vast Empire. The civilization created in China soon spread its light throughout the whole of the Far East. Thanks to numerous contacts, it was itself enriched. The Chinese, however, endeavoured to realize a traditional ideal, which they defined with increasing strictness.

They are attached to this so passionately that they themselves represent it to be the finest heritage of their race. Several thousands of years before the Christian era, their ancestors (they did not doubt) were initiated by sages into that discipline of life which was their strength. The pure civilization of the earliest ages was the source of a perfect cohesion, and the greatest China dates from the most ancient times. Its unity is broken or is restored according to whether an order of civilization, in principle unchangeable, shines resplendent or more faint.

These systematic views have the value of dogma and correspond to an active belief. They have been the inspiration at the heart of all the attempts at historic synthesis; over long centuries they exercised a decisive influence on the presentation, the transmission and the restoration of documents. We do not possess a single one that can be considered first hand and untampered with. Historians, arehæologists, exegetes, remain impregnated with traditional piety, even when they pose simply as learned men, and even when a “fault-finding” spirit seems to animate them. They determine the facts or the dates, establish texts, lop off interpolations, classify works, not with objective detachment, but in the hope of rendering more acute and purer, in themselves and in their readers, the consciousness of an ideal that history cannot explain, for it precedes history.

Else where Granet notes “that under the veneer of an orthodoxy which claimed to reign uncontested, the moral life continued to develop freely.” Despite this, how much tradition has remained? Why are there no classics of philosophy or custom that are less than 2000 years old? Why do people continue to love books like the Great Learning or the Classic of Rites? So many still read them with the respect they give to ancestors.

I agree a more accurate depiction probably lies somewhere in between Granet, Hegel, and Needham. My tendancy to side with Hegel and Granet is probably due to me being Chinese :slight_smile: and having a much greater knowledge of western philosophy.

I don’t doubt that a great deal of scientific advances were made in China. It is something I plan to look into. Yet having an interest in semiotics (the study of signs) and western philology, it’s hard for me to not look at language. There’s something to be said about Chinese tradition. I still continue to think why wasn’t there a proliferation of thought like the Hundred Schools throughout China’s history.Despite whatever advances were made, custom and tradition remains. They probably animate most knowledge China has produced, much like Platonism and Christianity in the west.

Tradition retains a strong hold on the common people. Lets think of women. Irigaray, a psychoanalyst and feminist that I greatly admire says “women cannot be women and speak in a sensible coherent manner.” She has a great deal of training from Lacanian psychoanalysis, linguistics, and semiotics. Lacan’s sayings “woman does not exist” and “women are not whole” are vigorously discussed among many feminists. Irigaray has spent a lot of time thinking that women have not been able to define their own sexuality; she’s said much about what’s prevented it and tried to find some way out. She hasn’t necessarily prescribed anything but has tried to present the problems.

I’m not sure what else to say. I need to spend a lot more time reading and thinking.

Upon recommending a few articles to a student, Granet said “Read slowly and always slowly.”

That’s some pretty deep stuff gary. :help: If reincarnation is true, perhaps I’ll get a liberal arts degree in my next life. Else, I’m hoping the lottery ticket I bought yesterday will make me a millionaire by tomorrow. :smiley:

:slight_smile: If you’re really interested in something, you don’t need a degree.

It’s too bad people (especially employers) have such respect for degrees. There’s been enough talk about what is an MBA worth. Maybe it’s starting to change. The problem is with education. As it’s become more formal, it’s become less creative, especially in the last few centuries. Everyone (like parents) are more concerned with proper education. Free spirit, self discovery, and becoming might be dead.

I forgot the exact words teachers used to describe Hegel. He did more than not do well in school. I think they described him as barely passing, failing miserably, or not belonging in school. One of those things. And look what happened to him. Maybe not my favorite philosopher but certainly a very significant one.

Having an obsession for these things might not be so healthy. You could say the greatest thinkers are the most messed up people. What is going to make someone want to think about this stuff every second they’re awake? I think Bertrand Russell said the desire to learn more math was what prevented him from killing himself. Is that the kind of person you want to be? :slight_smile:

[quote=“sjcma”]

However, modern Chinese societies (including Taiwan) is obviously very different.[/quote]

:slight_smile: I’m not sure how different. When I think of science, I think of it’s original meaning, knowledge.

from wikipedia:

The word science comes from the Latin word scientia for knowledge. The Indo-European root means to discern or to separate, akin to Sanskrit chyati, he cuts off, Greek schizein, to split, Latin scindere, to split. From the Middle Ages to the Enlightenment, science or scientia meant any systematic or exact recorded knowledge. Science therefore had the same sort of very broad meaning that philosophy had at that time. In some languages, including French, Spanish, Portuguese, and Italian, the word corresponding to science still carries this meaning.

From classical times until the advent of the modern era, philosophy was divided into natural philosophy and moral philosophy. In the 1800’s the term natural philosophy gradually gave way to the term natural science. Natural science was gradually specialized to its current domain, which typically includes the physical sciences and the biological sciences. The social sciences, inheriting portions of the realm of moral philosophy, are currently included under the auspices of science as well, to the extent that these disciplines also use empirical methods. As currently understood, moral philosophy still retains the study of ethics, regarded as a branch of philosophy and one of the three classical normative sciences.

When I think of the sentence “China had sciences but no science…,” I can’t help but spend a lot of time thinking what is science, what is knowledge. What kind of knowledge are the Chinese capable of? What are its limits?

I’m trying to be better about widely dismissing arguments or people. I used to read Confucius and think “stupid Chinese.” I still react that way when I hear other Chinese people speak. :slight_smile: I try not to. When I listen to other people, I’m a better listener. But when I listen to Chinese people, it’s very easy for me to think, tradition has got a hold of you stupid ass.

Granet taught me to really look at Chinese thought; and he’s made me want to look.

Agreed. Although I do have a family to feed and take care of. So either way, it’ll have to wait until my next life or that lottery ticket coming through. :smiley: Besides, I learn best in a school environment. Product of my upbringing I guess. Or perhaps it’s because I’m an unmotivated procrastinator. :s

Degrees make for nice wall decoration. :smiley: Seriously, I know where you’re coming from. However, it really depends on your line of work. If I needed brain surgery, I’d trust a doctor with a degree any day over one without. In this instance, I bet that 99.9999% of the time, it’s the right decision. And trust me, it’s pretty difficult to get into my line of work without formal education.

Einstein failed math. Bill Gates never finished university. Lots of successful people did not do well at school. But the same can be said for even more unsuccessful people.

My obsession about anything waned a long time ago. Idealism goes out the window as one gets older. Pragmatism now rules the day. I’m now part of the drone of masses that live in the suburbs and work more for the paycheque than the job while wishing it was really the other way around. Of course, this is true only for myself and my circle of friends. YMMV.

Degrees make for nice wall decoration. :smiley: Seriously, I know where you’re coming from. However, it really depends on your line of work. If I needed brain surgery, I’d trust a doctor with a degree any day over one without. In this instance, I bet that 99.9999% of the time, it’s the right decision. And trust me, it’s pretty difficult to get into my line of work without formal education.[/quote]

Disipline has done a great deal of harm to knowledge. While it’s created a great deal of expertise, it’s prevented people from looking at a subject in new ways. How resistant is medicine to the east? Medicine is starting to move in the direction of figuring out how to strengthen the body and be a catalyst to natural defenses. Maybe like eastern medicine. But how medicine’s formal methods decelerated this process? How much are people discouraged by experimentation and discovery?

Music education is almost dead. Many musicians like Glenn Gould have made note of it. Back in the day of Mozart, before a canon, teachers composed and experimented. Everyone that played music did. People just sat down, tried stuff, and figured out what works. Just like a painter. How does music work today? People are so concerned with perfection and are afraid of touching instruments. Everyone’s concerned now with what’s correct. There’s no fun or creativity. It’s gone. Painters don’t spend their life copying other people’s work. Most musicians do.

My obsession about anything waned a long time ago. Idealism goes out the window as one gets older. Pragmatism now rules the day. I’m now part of the drone of masses that live in the suburbs and work more for the paycheque than the job while wishing it was really the other way around. Of course, this is true only for myself and my circle of friends. YMMV.[/quote]

I wouldn’t call it idealism, maybe a desire. The word desire seems to imply a lack. People who continue to desire knowledge are not lacking in doubt. It’s their continued doubt that keeps them going. Some people grow old and are never sure of anything. Socrates always said he was concerned with love. Some people think about it their whole life (what is it) or they accept what most people believe it to be and just do it.

As for how work is. It sucks work is the most important part of life. It really stops people from developing themselves. People are left with the inadequate early education they get from schools and their parents. After that, education almost stops. So many are frustrated from unfullfilling jobs. The frustration is going to grow until people get violent. Revolt is coming. It isn’t easy to see like race or class.

zpub.com/notes/idle.html

:slight_smile: I’m not sure how different. When I think of science, I think of it’s original meaning, knowledge.[/quote]
I’ve made my opinions based on my limited readings and observations. But why not judge for yourself first hand? Live and study in a Chinese society and see if your current opinions are confirmed, adjusted, or refuted.

It would appear that you hold western philosophy in high esteem while thinking Chinese/oriental thought to be inferior. I don’t think such biases really helps understanding. It’s too easy to be digging for information that simply confirms your current biases instead of keeping an open mind. But at least you are aware of it.

Just curious though. Do you think you are a stupid ass when you hear yourself speak? :wink: Or do you just find that I’m a stupid ass? :astonished::moon::eek:

[quote=“sjcma”]Perhaps the following quote from the French language wikipedia can help some along in this discussion (machine English translation below):

[ul]La philosophie chinoise différe assez radicalement de la philosophie occidentale, au point que, techniquement, on peut refuser de qualifier de « philosophiques » les méthodes et les résultats de sa démarche. Refusant très tôt la spéculation et n’approchant que rarement et tardivement de la métaphysique ou de la logique, la pensée chinoise s’appuie plus volontiers sur l’analogie que sur la logique, sur la résolution des problèmes concrets que sur la définition des concepts, sur l’exemplarité que sur la démonstration, sur la fluidité de l’esprit que sur la solidité des arguments. Ne reconnaissant pas d’entité unique, personnelle et créatrice du monde, l’idée de vérité ultime et absolue à sonder par la foi ou la raison n’est que rarement invoquée dans une discussion philosophique.[/ul]
Machine English translation of the above:

[ul]Chinese philosophy differs rather radically of Western philosophy, so much so that, technically, one can refuse to qualify “philosophical” methods and the results of its step. Refusing very early the speculation and approaching only seldom and tardily metaphysics or logic, the Chinese thought is based more readily on the analogy than on logic, on the resolution of the concrete problems than on the definition of the concepts, on the exemplarity than on the demonstration, the fluidity of the spirit than on the solidity of the arguments. Not recognizing single, personal and creative entity of the world, the idea of ultimate and absolute truth to probe by the faith or the reason only is not seldom called upon in a philosophical discussion.[/ul][/quote]

I just looked at that Wikipedia page now. The main source of that info is, yes, Granet. It goes to show how slowly knowledge gets invented. He’s one of the few significant philsophers or sociologists to study China. Most others are Chinese or historians, people maybe not trained in or well-versed with formuations and speculation. How often do you see sinologists who are students of major thinkers? We need more. At least people who have that broad of an interest.

It’s funny how greatly the French and German pages differ from English. The former are written by people with more familiarity with philosophy proper.

Since the French invented western sinology and it seems most sinologists trained in the human and social scientists are French (and it seems you read French?), why not take a look.

classiques.uqac.ca/classiques/ch … index.html

The collection is fantastic. The word documents are all hyperlinked. So you can read Granet or whoever, find the footnote, and click to the original text.

:slight_smile: I’m not sure how different. When I think of science, I think of it’s original meaning, knowledge.[/quote]
I’ve made my opinions based on my limited readings and observations. But why not judge for yourself first hand? Live and study in a Chinese society and see if your current opinions are confirmed, adjusted, or refuted.[/quote]

That’s the plan. I know I’m filled with bias. Every one is. Western philosophy (continental) now admits it. I know what I’m going on mostly is now instinct. That’ll take some time to change.

[quote=“sjcma”][It would appear that you hold western philosophy in high esteem while thinking Chinese/oriental thought to be inferior. I don’t think such biases really helps understanding. It’s too easy to be digging for information that simply confirms your current biases instead of keeping an open mind. But at least you are aware of it.

Just curious though. Do you think you are a stupid ass when you hear yourself speak? :wink: Or do you just find that I’m a stupid ass? :astonished::moon::eek:[/quote]

From Beyond Good and Evil:

There is a point in every philosophy when the philosopher’s “conviction” steps onto the stage—or to use the language of an ancient Mystery:

adventavit asinus
pulcher et fortissimus.
[The ass entered / beautiful and most brave.]

and:

Gradually it has become clear to me what every great philosophy so far has been: namely, the personal confession of its author and a kind of involuntary and unconscious mémoires; also that the moral (or immoral) intentions in every philosophy constituted the real germ of life from which the whole plant had grown. Indeed, if one would explain how the abstrusest metaphysical claims of a philosopher really came about, it is always well (and wise) to ask first: at what morality does all this (does he—) aim? Accordingly, I do not believe that a “drive for knowledge” is the father of philosophy; but rather that another drive has, here as elsewhere employed knowledge (and mis-knowledge!) as a mere instrument. But anyone who considers the basic drives of man to see to what extent they may have been at play just here as in inspiring spirits (or demons and kobolds—), will find that all of them have done philosophy at some time—and that every single one of them would like only too well to represent just itself as the ultimate purpose of existence and the legitimate master [Herrn] of all the other drives. For every drive is domineering [herrschsüchtig]: and as such it attempts to philosophize in that spirit. —To be sure: among scholars who are really scientific men things may be different—“better,” if you like—, there you may really find something like a drive for knowledge, some small independent clockwork that, once well wound, works on vigorously without any essential participation from all the other drives of the scholar. The real “interests” of the scholar therefore lie usually somewhere else, in his family, say, or in making money, or in politics; indeed, it is almost a matter of total indifference whether his little machine is placed at this or that spot in science, and whether the “promising” young worker turns himself into a good philologist or an expert on fungi or a chemist:—it does not characterize him that he becomes this or that. In the philosopher conversely, there is nothing whatever that is impersonal; and above all his morality bears decided and decisive witness to who he is—that is, in what order of rank the innermost drives of his nature stand in relation to each other.

:slight_smile: My reaction is towards Chinese people; it’s them I call stupid. Not a healthy attitude. Yet Chinese seem to act this way towards each other, always prescribing moral acts. I know enough Chinese people (who have never left Taiwan or China) that say their boss or all bosses are crazy. One friend told me her boss ran the company like an army. Another women (raised in Asia, working for Asians who started a company here) said never work for an Asian company. What does that mean?

It seems I think of Chinese thought as inferior. :slight_smile: Like the quote you listed from Wikipedia, I think there are ways of thinking that were either impossible or very difficult in China. Every culture has it’s history and concerns. It’s interesting to see what kind of questions did ask? Why did they ask them?Is there some personal or culture character you can find from their questioning or outlook? Why didn’t they ask other questions?

On the other hand, how far would western medicine be today without formal methods? Still bloodletting to cure a fever?

What you say is true for classical music. But I think that’s more due to classical music falling out of favour with society rather than the fact that “music education is almost dead”. Rock 'n Roll and jazz is still very experimental and the best certainly do not learn their craft in school.

I wouldn’t call it idealism, maybe a desire. The word desire seems to imply a lack. People who continue to desire knowledge are not lacking in doubt. It’s their continued doubt that keeps them going. Some people grow old and are never sure of anything. Socrates always said he was concerned with love. Some people think about it their whole life (what is it) or they accept what most people believe it to be and just do it. [/quote]
My desire to learn has not waned. But my idealism has. I had grand ideas of what I’d like to do with my degree, my work, my life. But then real life stepped in – I had kids. The equation quickly changed for me as for most people when this happens.

I think many see work as an integral part of themselves. Many would say work is a virtue rather than an annoyance as you’ve presented here. You seem to bemoan the “inadequate early education” that people are left with. But just what is “adequate education” supposed to be? Are we to sit around all day reading and thinking endlessly? The phrase “ignorance is bliss” is all-too-true for many people. For I rather be a happy ignoramous than a tortured intellectual. Like most people, I fall somewhere in between.

Not everyone will have deep, meaningful, and fulfilling jobs. And not all will choose to want one either, like me. I chose instead to have a decent job with decent pay so I can have more time to not think and instead enjoy the silliness of having young children at home.

Obviously, our age disparity as well as education clearly shows in our different views of the world.

Did you study philosphy in university?

Actually, my French is pretty abysmal, despite living in a fairly bilingual city (English & French that is). I could order food and read the road signs while I was in France, but that’s really the extent of it. I had to take ESL while all the other kids went off to French class.

[snip…]

:slight_smile: My reaction is towards Chinese people; it’s them I call stupid. Not a healthy attitude. Yet Chinese seem to act this way towards each other, always prescribing moral acts.[/quote]
You think the Chinese stupid and yet you’ve mentioned on a couple of occassions that you are Chinese yourself. Hence, my “stupid ass” question. Obviously, you don’t lump yourself with “those” Chinese, so my question really was meant to be tongue in cheek. I do say that you are painting with a pretty big brush. What about me? Am I a stupid Chinese?

It means many Chinese bosses are slavedrivers. And in my own personal experience, many Indian bosses are as well. Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

On the other hand, how far would western medicine be today without formal methods? Still bloodletting to cure a fever?
[/quote]

My intention is to present problems of how medicine is today. I don’t think anyone is better than another. Every way of thinking has its problems and limitations. About western science, many biologists, philosophers of science, and epistemologists have started the discussion.

What you say is true for classical music. But I think that’s more due to classical music falling out of favour with society rather than the fact that “music education is almost dead”. Rock 'n Roll and jazz is still very experimental and the best certainly do not learn their craft in school.
[/quote]

Rock and Jazz is still experimental. Yet there is a great tendancy of formalism in lots of music education. Painters and writers don’t spend their life thinking they need to be perfect or start out reproducing other people’s works. Yet with music, it’s very common. I don’t know many people who are comfortable with sitting down with an instrument and just experimenting.

I wouldn’t call it idealism, maybe a desire. The word desire seems to imply a lack. People who continue to desire knowledge are not lacking in doubt. It’s their continued doubt that keeps them going. Some people grow old and are never sure of anything. Socrates always said he was concerned with love. Some people think about it their whole life (what is it) or they accept what most people believe it to be and just do it. [/quote]
My desire to learn has not waned. But my idealism has. I had grand ideas of what I’d like to do with my degree, my work, my life. But then real life stepped in – I had kids. The equation quickly changed for me as for most people when this happens.

I think many see work as an integral part of themselves. Many would say work is a virtue rather than an annoyance as you’ve presented here. You seem to bemoan the “inadequate early education” that people are left with. But just what is “adequate education” supposed to be? Are we to sit around all day reading and thinking endlessly? The phrase “ignorance is bliss” is all-too-true for many people. For I rather be a happy ignoramous than a tortured intellectual. Like most people, I fall somewhere in between.
[/quote]

As for work, sadly there’s a great deal of Christian influence in our work ethic. It was Saint Paul who said who does not work does not eat.

As for education and parenting, I don’t think much of western ways either. Many serious philsophers and psychologists have noted it。Sadly most self-help books on parenting aren’t quite where I’d like them to be.

It is… nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom; without this it goes to wreak and ruin. It is a very grave mistake to think that the enjoyment of seeing and searching can be promoted by means of coercion and a sense of duty. - Albert Einstein

Our age has been extravagantly praised as the “century of the child.” This boundless expansion of the kindergarden amounts to complete forgetfulness of the problems of adult education divined by the genius of Schiller. Nobody will deny or underestimate the importance of childhood; the severe and often life-long injuries caused by stupid upbringing at home or in school are too obvious, and the need for more reasonable pedagogic methods is far too urgent. But if this evil is to be attacked at the root, one must in all seriousness face the question of how such idiotic and bigoted methods of education ever came to be employed, and still are employed. Obviously, for the sole reason that there are half-baked educators who are not human beings at all, but walking personifications of method. Anyone who wants to educate must himself be educated. But the parrot-like book-learning and mechanical use of methods that is still practiced today is no education either for the child or for educator. People are everlastingly saying that the child’s personality must be trained. While I admire this lofty ideal, I can’t help asking who it is that trains the personality? In the first and foremost place we have the parents, ordinary, incompetent folk who, more often than not, are half children themselves and remain so all their lives. How could anyone expect all these ordinary parents to be “personalities,” and who has ever given a thought to devising methods for inculcating “personality” into them? Naturaly, then, we expect great things of the pedagogue, of the trained professional, who, heaven help us, has been stuffed full of “psychology” and is bursting with ill-assorted views as to how the child is supposed to be constituted and how he ought to be handled. It is presumed that the youthful persons who have picked on education as a career are themselves educated; but nobody, I daresay, will venture to assert that they are all “personalities” as well. By and large, they sufer from the same defective education as the hapless children they are supposed to instruct, and as a rule are as little “personalities” as their charges. Our whole educational problem sufers from a one-sided approach to the child who is to be educated, and from an equally one-sided lack of emphasis on the uneducatedness of the educator. - Carl Jung

Did you study philosphy in university?
[/quote]

Yes. I doubled in psychology and philosophy and have kept my interest in the 10 or so years since college. I haven’t had enough time to devote to it like many who spend their entire life with it. But I hope to.

[snip…]

:slight_smile: My reaction is towards Chinese people; it’s them I call stupid. Not a healthy attitude. Yet Chinese seem to act this way towards each other, always prescribing moral acts.[/quote]
You think the Chinese stupid and yet you’ve mentioned on a couple of occassions that you are Chinese yourself. Hence, my “stupid ass” question. Obviously, you don’t lump yourself with “those” Chinese, so my question really was meant to be tongue in cheek. I do say that you are painting with a pretty big brush. What about me? Am I a stupid Chinese?
[/quote]

The problems of western thought and society (or any) are just as great. My reaction is some form of ressentiment but I am trying to change.

[quote=“sjcma”]

It means many Chinese bosses are slavedrivers. And in my own personal experience, many Indian bosses are as well. Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.[/quote]

:slight_smile: Not sure if a cigar is sometimes a cigar. With Christians, sure not everyone is the same yet there’s some influence or something unique about Christian thought. With Chinese, that’s what I’m trying to find.

Enough people have complained here about Chinese people or the Taiwanese. I’m trying to find the why behind a cultures history.

You want to know about Chinese science and technology. Needham, as a practicing scientist, was probably a better judge of these matters than Granet or Hegel.

It may be the wrong question. The correct question should be ‘Why did the west have a scientific revolution?’ Not ’ Why did China not have a scientific revolution?’ This is a historical issue. Historians try to understand what happened. Not what didn’t happen.

[quote][Chinese] tradition was already fixed at about the time of the Christian era—towards the epoch when the country of China, at length united, forms a vast Empire. The civilization created in China soon spread its light throughout the whole of the Far East. Thanks to numerous contacts, it was itself enriched. The Chinese, however, endeavoured to realize a traditional ideal, which they defined with increasing strictness.

They are attached to this so passionately that they themselves represent it to be the finest heritage of their race. Several thousands of years before the Christian era, their ancestors (they did not doubt) were initiated by sages into that discipline of life which was their strength. The pure civilization of the earliest ages was the source of a perfect cohesion, and the greatest China dates from the most ancient times. Its unity is broken or is restored according to whether an order of civilization, in principle unchangeable, shines resplendent or more faint.
[/quote]

This ‘static’ view of Chinese civilization has been thoroughly repudiated by modern historical scholarship. You might want to ground your philosophical speculations with a bit more history.

[quote=“Feiren”][quote=“gary”]
It’s also my impression that Needham is a bit too enthusiastic about Chinese achievements. Needhman differs from Hegel and Granet from not having spent a lot of time with western philosophy and its methods (or problems).
[/quote]

You want to know about Chinese science and technology. Needham, as a practicing scientist, was probably a better judge of these matters than Granet or Hegel.
[/quote]

During the time of Hegel and Granet, we knew much less about the Chinese. I’d like to explore Needham sometime. When I do, I might still think what I think now, he is more of a historian than a philosopher of culture or science. We’ll see.

Even among American or European biologists, people who talk of the philosophy of science with the depth that I like is rare. They are out there. With sinologues, there are probably less of them.

All that we now is still growing. A hundred years of modern scholarship is just the beginning.

I am interested in the why of what happened and why somethig didn’t happen. I think asking what doesn’t exist in a society is as important as what does.

[quote=“Feiren”][quote][Chinese] tradition was already fixed at about the time of the Christian era—towards the epoch when the country of China, at length united, forms a vast Empire. The civilization created in China soon spread its light throughout the whole of the Far East. Thanks to numerous contacts, it was itself enriched. The Chinese, however, endeavoured to realize a traditional ideal, which they defined with increasing strictness.

[/quote]

This ‘static’ view of Chinese civilization has been thoroughly repudiated by modern historical scholarship. You might want to ground your philosophical speculations with a bit more history.[/quote]

I am trying to. Even Needham show great respect for Hegel and Granet. He considers what they say very seriously and has spent much time thinking about it. It seems as though Needham was trying to disprove them rather than asking what do they mean. This is not to say I am completely in love with Hegel or Granet (I’m especially not so fond of Hegel and his German Idealism), but they speak in way that’s more familiar to me; and it’s my point of depature. Where I’ll go, who knows.

Notice how quickly you move to an esentially synchronic question about what exists in a society and what doesn’t. Why does this system have element A. Why does this system not have element B. Historians try to build coherent narrative accounts out of events that occurred in the past. Getting this right is hard enough.

But science is now well established in China, so what’s the issue?

[quote=“Feiren”][quote=“gary”]

I am interested in the why of what happened and why somethig didn’t happen. I think asking what doesn’t exist in a society is as important as what does.
[/quote]

Notice how quickly you move to an esentially synchronic question about what exists in a society and what doesn’t. Why does this system have element A. Why does this system not have element B. Historians try to build coherent narrative accounts out of events that occurred in the past. Getting this right is hard enough.

But science is now well established in China, so what’s the issue?[/quote]

:slight_smile: Not all scientists try to build systems. I’m kind of suspect of anyone with a system :slight_smile:

I’m interested in what kind of science has been established in China. Western science has enough of its own problems and so does Chinese. Occidental scientists have started to realize their practice takes place within history. Kuhn, chaos theorists, and biologists like Gould and Lewontin are starting to be aware of the effect of culture on knowledge. Among the Chinese, I’m not sure. Maybe.