Book/ get together exchange club, anyone interested?

Are you interested in a Book / stuff exchange Club?

• Yes, sounds good.
  • No, thanks.

0 voters

Hey all, I have just returned to Taiwan and I have realized I have a ton of useful stuff that I don’t use or need. Plus a swack of books. I was thinking of starting some kind of book club thing. Not necessarily only for books but with little get together’s hosted at my house, where people can come just to be social, trade some books, or other things if so inclined. I don’t know if anyone else is doing the same sort of thing (although I did hear a rumour to that effect but haven’t seen anything concrete), but I know I’m interested in it. If it already exists, and someone knows about when and were, I would love it if you could point me in the right direction.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in something along these lines, reply here and let me know or pm me. If there is even a small interest I will probably start hosting something once or twice a month. Possibly starting next weekend. Any comments suggestions or questions are welcome.
Cheers :slight_smile:

EDIT: my bad in Taipei city.

Where in Taiwan?

When I’ve done this before, I would always lose track of my books/loaners. It pains me to lose my books. How do people keep track of this?

I think the point is to actually TRADE them. "I have this book that I’ve read and you have this book I have not, let’s swap. "

Ah, that would explain it… I don’t give up my books unless I absolutely have no need for them. That’s seldom because I always go back to them and find out new stuff in there I didn’t see before or am reminded of why I bought/have them in the first place. I’ve got books dating all the way back to my grade school days (school and non-school books). Geekily highlighted and underlined :slight_smile:.

While I agree with you about classics and non-fiction, there is little chance of me re-reading a Terry Pratchett or such. But I wouldn’t have a need for a book exchange, that is what friends are for.

Some books aren’t worth reading twice. I’ve read two this year that weren’t worth reading once.

Well if one wanted to lend books it would be up to them to keep track of who has what, but I had more trade things your wone use or read again, in mind.

Yes something along these lines is what I was thinking.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]While I agree with you about classics and non-fiction, there is little chance of me re-reading a Terry Pratchett or such. But I wouldn’t have a need for a book exchange, that is what friends are for.

Some books aren’t worth reading twice. I’ve read two this year that weren’t worth reading once.[/quote]

Ha I have a few of those, and I have a bunch that were entertaining for what they were, but I am finished with them now. And yes, thats what friends are for :smiley:, but I’m up for making new friends.

I’m thinking of something along the lines of a social gathering where you happen to exchange some things, like movie club (going to someones place to hang out socialize and watch a movie etc.). A multiple function gathering :wink:

So I was thinking, about this saturday evening. Does that sound good for anyone? Or sunday afternoon?

Do you have any books with pictures ? I find words difficult.

Try audiobooks than…

[quote=“robi666”]Try audiobooks than…[/quote]Nah, they have words too, you still have to pay attention.

I might have some colouring books lying around :smiley:.

Deliedalish

The reading group is actually meeting this Sunday at 4 o’clock at the Starbucks opposite the Dayeh Takashimaya department store in TianMu to discuss ‘Brick Lane’ by Monica Ali. Why don’t you come along ? We can probably arrange something: your idea sounds good.

You can find the reading group thread if you go to ‘Where can I find … …?’ and type in ‘reading group’.

Whatever, PM me and keep me informed. I’m interested.

Sounds interesting but unfortunately I go to games club which is on the same day at the same time, :P. Plus I would feel silly going to a reading group when I haven’t read the book :smiley:. But maybe next time! I don;t think this weekend is going to work out as it is not much of a weekend and all of my friends seem to be busy already (apparently everyone wants to cram as much as they can into this mini weekend). But I will continue to post about this and keep in touch with people about it :slight_smile:.

I used to have this problem until I instituted a system. I keep a book where I track every book checked out and by whom. I just write the title, person, and date I loaned the book out. Even with this system you don’t always get your books back but if you loan something just expect to not get it back. If it is important to you then don’t loan it out. I am always more willing to loan books out to people that give or suggest books to me. So a book exchange makes a lot of sense and I think it is a good way for people to socialize.

Yeah see that’s what I was thinking. It’s a good way to socialize and share stuff. I mean I have tons of silly stuff that I’m done with, but someone else might get some good use out of.

Is the proposal still ongoing?

I am interested in trading books, too.

Did this book group thing ever get off the ground? If so, I might like to join. If not, maybe we can try again. Paerhaps not necessarily a book group (sine we all often get unexpectedly busy) but an idea or topic group which can include a variety of suggested books it would not be necessary to read in order to participate.