Book review -"Londonistan"

A view of London that may surprise many people.

[quote]Londonistan
Terror & Denial
by Melanie Phillips
Encounter. 213 pp. $25.95
Reviewed by Daniel Johnson

A highly successful columnist and broadcaster, and at one time the news editor of the left-wing Guardian, Phillips reveals a very different Britain from the heroic nation that defied Hitler. In fact, she compares the mood today with that of the 1930’s, the era of appeasement. As she shows, senior officials and their cultural cheerleaders still refuse to accept that they are confronted by a murderous, expansionist Islamic ideology, or that their own capital city has been transformed (in a term coined by the Western intelligence community during the 1990’s) into “Londonistan.” For Phillips, Britain is a nation in denial—about Islam, about terrorism, about Israel, and above all about itself.

Londonistan is, first and foremost, about the identity crisis provoked by the terrorist attack on London’s transportation system in July 2005. As the British people learned to their horror, the suicide bombers were not foreigners radicalized by suffering or oppression but true-born Englishmen, with good families and good prospects. They differed from most of their contemporaries in only one respect: they were young Muslims who, as Phillips puts it, had “repudiated not just British values but the elementary codes of humanity.” The leader of the bombers, Mohammed Sidique Khan, left behind a surreal video in which, speaking in a Yorkshire accent, he blamed his act of mass murder on British “atrocities” against “my people,” meaning the Muslim ummah. He owed allegiance not to Britain but to Islam.

The British Muslim community numbers more than 2 million, which is less than 3 percent of the country’s total population, but it is growing rapidly through natural increase, immigration, and conversion. How many others might there be like Mohammed Sidique Khan, biding their time before turning on their fellow citizens? Officials estimate that some 16,000 British Muslims actively engage in or support terrorism (not counting unknown numbers of foreigners resident in the country). Of these, some 3,000 have been trained at al-Qaeda camps in Pakistan or Afghanistan.

No less terrifying is the fact that even the supposedly mainstream elements in the British Muslim community have become more radical in their political theology. As Phillips shows in a pitiless unmasking, many of the “moderate Muslims” to whom the British authorities regularly pay obeisance are themselves hard-line Islamists, differing only by degree from more notorious recruiting sergeants for jihad.

Of particular interest to Phillips is Sir Iqbal Sacranie, secretary-general of the Muslim Council of Britain. Sacranie was knighted at the same time as Britain’s chief rabbi, Jonathan Sacks, evidently for reasons of multicultural balance—though there is no intellectual or moral comparison between Sacks, one of Britain’s most respected religious leaders, and Sacranie, who rose to prominence by supporting Ayatollah Khomenei’s fatwa against Salman Rushdie. Though he is the government’s chief Muslim interlocutor, Sacranie has an avowedly anti-Zionist and anti-Semitic agenda: he justifies Hamas suicide bombings, boycotts Holocaust commemorations, and harasses pro-Israel politicians. When his equivocal attitude to terrorism was exposed by a BBC documentary last year, Sacranie accused his critics of being part of a Zionist conspiracy.

"Some consider Phillips an alarmist. My own view is that she has, if anything, understated the peril that the “Londonistan” phenomenon poses to the U.S. and to Europe, both of which owe a profound debt to the British culture that is now in such disarray. When I worked for the London Daily Telegraph, Iqbal Sacranie and Inayat Bunglawala—the latter, another of Phillips’s subjects, is the media spokesman for the Muslim Council of Britain—came to see us several times. They strongly objected to our use of the phrase “Islamic terrorism,” and demanded that Osama bin Laden be described not as an “Islamic” or even an “Islamist” terrorist but as an “international” one. To mention Islam in connection with terrorism, these lobbyists insisted, was “Islamophobic.” Their demands were rejected despite hints that Muslim readers might boycott the Telegraph; but the state has been more responsive. Editors must now tread carefully because the law now punishes Islamophobia as a “hate crime.”

Phillips has written a superb indictment of this frame of mind—an indictment, moreover, that no mainstream British publisher would touch—but will any of her recommendations be heeded? As she admits, “there is very little chance” of it. In fact, the problems she identifies are likely to grow. When the world turns its eyes to London for the 2012 Olympic Games, what it will see right next to the Olympic Stadium is one of the largest mosques in the world, with a capacity of 70,000 worshippers. The funds for this massive project have come from Tablighi Jamaat, an avowedly Islamist global organization that the FBI says is used by al-Qaeda to recruit terrorists."(A good read at link)
commentarymagazine.com/artic … 12201085_1[/quote]

I read something saying that the author was attacked because she was well educated middle-class and couldn’t relate in an authentic way to the lives of urban lower-class disaffected asian youth. She pointed out that his book was about the anomie of London’s middle-class disaffected youth, who were her peers. That’s the really disturbing part. I’ve got this on my Xmas list.

A great article, TC.

This article from the CBC shows how even the moderate voice of Islam is being silenced.

Hmmmm…maybe it’s time Allah went the way of Mithras, Zeus, and Wotan. :ponder:

No surprises here.
What do you expect, terrorists of Islam being kicked out of the country or sent to gaol? You’re joking, right? Because that would not be politically correct. These people have the right to go to training camps, learn how to become terrorists and blow themselves and other people up. These people are just like you and me these people have rights you know.

I knew it was time to leave England and the rest of the western world behind when they started re-naming the streets in my town after Islamic idols. Jinnah Road, for example, which used to be Tennyson Road (after the poet). Now how much of a kick in the teeth to British history and culture is that?

[quote=“Dangermouse”]No surprises here.
What do you expect, terrorists of Islam being kicked out of the country or sent to gaol? You’re joking, right? Because that would not be politically correct. These people have the right to go to training camps, learn how to become terrorists and blow themselves and other people up. These people are just like you and me these people have rights you know.

I knew it was time to leave England and the rest of the western world behind when they started re-naming the streets in my town after Islamic idols. Jinnah Road, for example, which used to be Tennyson Road (after the poet). Now how much of a kick in the teeth to British history and culture is that?[/quote]

How could that happen. Was the local council loaded with Jinnah Rd advocates who wanted to make it like home? I can sort of understand that. I want to import gum trees and magpies into Taiwan. I miss them a lot.

We need to get into the middle east and find a road to rename into Tennyson to keep this balanced.

Ironman, Taiwan does have gum trees (brought here by the Japanese about a century ago) and magpies, too.

Ironman, Taiwan does have gum trees (brought here by the Japanese about a century ago) and magpies, too.[/quote]

Where? I miss chainsawing down the gum trees and shooting the magpies.

I would like to know the source of this “official estimate.” If the authorities know that 3,000 people have done this guerrilla training abroad, presumably they also know who the 3,000 people are, and they should be able to keep tabs on them and round them up if necessary.

Please tell us when and where this happened. I did a web search for jinnah tennyson but drew a blank.

Aaaaah, but it wasn’t a terrorist guerilla camp, it was an Islamic religous retreat. There’s the beauty of it.

[quote=“Juba”]
Please tell us when and where this happened. I did a web search for jinnah tennyson but drew a blank.[/quote]

There’s at least one Jinnah Rd in the UK and it took less than 60 seconds to find it. Whether or not it’s the same road as Dangermouse mentioned…but many local residents were not happy when the road was renamed in 2002.

B & Q Warehouse PLC
Jinnah Road, Redditch, Worcestershire, B98 7ER

iworcestershire.co.uk/local/ … elf-shops/
archive.thisisworcestershire.co. … 62275.html

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote]Londonistan
Terror & Denial… senior officials and their cultural cheerleaders still refuse to accept that they are confronted by a murderous, expansionist Islamic ideology, or that their own capital city has been transformed (in a term coined by the Western intelligence community during the 1990’s) into “Londonistan.” [/quote][/quote]

Alarmist bullshit like most terror talk.

Imagine the havoc you could wreck on a crowded street with a large truck, to take one obvious example. The fact that so few terror attacks occur is proof that the angry sentiments of the Muslim population just haven’t translated into action “yet.” Another few years of british and american cowboy foriegn policy and this will likely change.

“Few terror attacks”??? :unamused: Where do you get your news? Why don’t you check on the number of Muslim terrorist attacks just in India, Thailand and Indonesia? Or maybe you consider it “terrorism” only if white people are shown dead on CNN.

Or maybe you think it isn’t terrorism if the death and destruction is dropped on you and your family from a helicopter. Anyway, the article was, as the title quite clearly suggested, about the threat of Islamic extremism in London.

I’ll refrain from using the roll icon as it seems to have become something of a cliche from the days when right wing wackos could still get away with referring to the rest of the world as naive, mindless lefties.

[quote=“bob”][quote=“Doctor Evil”]
Or maybe you think it isn’t terrorism if the death and destruction is dropped on you and your family from a helicopter. [/quote][/quote]

I wish…I [i]really[/i] wish I had a helicopter.

[quote=“Doctor Evil”]There’s at least one Jinnah Rd in the UK and it took less than 60 seconds to find it. Whether or not it’s the same road as Dangermouse mentioned…but many local residents were not happy when the road was renamed in 2002.

B & Q Warehouse PLC
Jinnah Road, Redditch, Worcestershire, B98 7ER

iworcestershire.co.uk/local/ … elf-shops/
archive.thisisworcestershire.co. … 62275.html[/quote]

How did “named” in the quoted article morph into “renamed” in your comment? Perhaps it was a newly built road. I don’t see why a new road in Britain should not be named after an outstanding former subject of the British Empire.

[quote=“Doctor Evil”][quote=“bob”][quote=“Doctor Evil”]
Or maybe you think it isn’t terrorism if the death and destruction is dropped on you and your family from a helicopter. [/quote]

I wish…I [i]really[/i] wish I had a helicopter.[/quote][/quote]

I rode in a helicopter once and to the top of a mountain too. We skied down and it was lovely and thrilling and a real winter paradise just like you might imagine it might be skiing down from the very top of an enormous mountain almost right down to the bottom where the snow got a bit heavy so the helicopter swooped down and picked us up and we went flying over glaciers and down along a river valley to where the river emptied into the Pacific. It was so much fun and nothing at all like the experience that Lebonese people have with helicopters I don’t imagine.

So there is no islamic extremeism in London? Is that what you are saying?

[quote]How did “named” in the quoted article morph into “renamed” in your comment? Perhaps it was a newly built road.
[/quote]

it was renamed. And it is the correct road that Dr. Evil is reffering too.
They’re building a mosque there now, incidently.

there was a British Alcad factory on the site and the road leading up to it was called Tennyson. They knocked down the factory and extended the former road and then called it Jinnah. Now they are building a mosque on the former site of the factory which is why they have re-named it jinnah road, in all probability.

This topic covers so much ground, from Muslims in London to Lebonese and helicopters. squarely on topic at all times.

[quote=“Dangermouse”] So there is no islamic extremeism in London? Is that what you are saying?
[/quote]

No. What I am saying is that if they really wanted to kill people they could do it easily. Another couple of years of Blair/Bush bungling and they probably will want to. In the meantime I can’t understand why your police force doesn’t crack down on the hate speech Islamic clerics seem to be getting away with in your country, but I like to think it has something to do with intelligence gathering.

I have been carefully scanning a map of Redditch (known to some as “the centre of the universe”) but could not locate either Tennyson or Jinnah Roads, so cannot verify whether the whole of Tennyson Road was remamed Jinnah Road or only the newly built extension. The nearby Parsons Road is still called that and not “Mullah’s Road.” I was intrigued to find that they have an “Other Road.” Slight lack of inspiration there. Perhaps they were going to call it “Something or Other Road” but the name was just too long. I suppose if they had built the mosque on Other Road instead of Tennyson Road and renamed that road instead it would have been less of a “kick in the teeth to British history and culture.” :laughing:

tinyurl.co.uk/ummr

tinyurl.co.uk/cso0

mapquest.com/

[quote=“The Redditch Advertiser”]
Blaze at mosque site

A fire has caused thousands of pounds of damage at the site of Redditch’s new mosque.

The blaze, which is believed to have started shortly before 3am on Sunday, caused about £3,000 damage to two mobile units at the Jinnah Road site. No one was hurt.

Det Sgt Gerry Smith, of Redditch Police, said: "We believe this fire was started deliberately and as part of our investigation, we are appealing for anyone with information to call us as soon as they can…

…Police are not treating the incident as racially motivated at this time.

Wednesday 19th July 2006[/quote]
Source