Book suggestions to help cool a burning mind

I’ll be making my first amazon order and want to find one more book to add to the list. I’m looking for a book for people who tend to think WAY too much (me). I’d like to read about how to organize my ideas and use my time more efficiently (or something to that effect).

I have a lot of things I’m doing at the same time right now and want to learn more (and better) techniques for managing them.

I read some books like this along time ago, so I have a pretty good idea about what I’m looking for in a book. I’m hoping someone is going to post a You gotta read this book book.

I think I want something that will help me deal with all these thoughts (a method of writing them down and keeping them organized or something)

The other books on my list are:

• A bunch of books about Chinese that Cranky suggested
  • 2 different language books (the titles slip my mind)
  • And whatever you guys suggest.

I hope all of that jibberish made sense.

milltwon,

if you find that book, once you read it loan it to me… I think too much and therefore tend to get distracted…

oh yeah, and Forumosa doesn’t help much

I second that.

But it does help release some of the built up pressure if you you what I mean.

I like to go to the movies for that. :slight_smile:

This book looks good
amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ … 16-8052711

Some links I came up with whislt googling
ms.lt/ms/projects/toolkinds/index.html
scrapsahoy.com/journal/pdf/r … oughts.pdf

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of stuff out there on organizing thoughts (that’s readily availible anyway). That seems kind of strange, maybe I’ll have to write that book.

If you can concentrate long enough?

Did they do you any good? If not, then what’s the point of reading another one? All the advice in the world is no good if you don’t act on it. Your problem is not thinking too much, it’s discipline. You can’t get that from books.

I use my pda and computer - make notes of anything that occurs to you or needs doing. Writing things down is a way of letting them escape from your brain, freeing you up to say ‘what should I be doing next?’.

Then you look at your prioritised lists of things to do, and get into whatever project you should be focusing on. If you’re like me it’ll make you think of other things, so you just make another note and keep on working.

I’m (being distracted from) reading ‘the 7 habits of highly effective people’ - take a look at it at eslite. Not sure if it’s doing any good overall, but I’ll let you know. Another one that is not exactly what you want, but a good read none the less, is ‘how to become CEO’ by, er, Jeffrey Fox (check the name). It helps because it’s quite motivational about being organised. I could do with another copy, if you wouldn’t mind adding to your order for me…

I have an TOO much concentration (believe it or not).

Yes, they did me a lot of good. They’re part of the reason I have such a vast supply of thought power now :wink: .

I’ve owned a PDA on and off for over 6 years now. This week is the first time I ever started (really) using the To do list and Calender (before that it was just an address book and form of entertainment). I gotta say, it’s REALLY cool. It’s only been a week and I can already feel the effects.

I’m just looking for another source to steal ideas from and make them my own. Webpage links would be good too, but I like books. I’ll continue to post what I find and what I ultimately decide to purchase.

Getting Things Done is based on that exact premise. It’s not the most exciting book (I started it about 6-7 months ago and still haven’t finished), but I’ve been using his system (more or less) and it works better for me than anything I’ve ever done before. Part of it involves organizing your To Do list, which I do on my Palm.

It’s about getting things done and you haven’t finished it yet?

OK

This is up to you but since you are going to be ordering from Amazon anyway, then one way to help support this privately funded board is to make your order from Amazon in a way that forumosa gets a little $ from it.

Click here for an explanation on how to do it.

PDAs are the dog’s bollocks. I bought one last year and took it back a few weeks later because I couldn’t justify (in my own mind) the expense. I had second thoughts not long after and now don’t move without it.

I keep notes on my classes that are linked from my calendar - Oh, 201 next, the bad boys, problems last week with past continuous, need to reinforce that before moving on, and there’s gonna be trubble if they haven’t done their homework again. After class you add to the note.

Flip to memo and make a note of anything you do that works, according to category. Fave games and activities etc. You’ve always got a lesson in your pocket for any occasion. I also keep lists of tongue-twisters, pithy phrases like ‘give back, not up’, anything that might come in useful one day that I hear someone else using.

Aside from teaching there are other uses:

Most management books stress the importance of goals - add anything you want to achieve in life to your to do list. I have stuff listed that I don’t expect to get done in the next 10 yrs, but it’s there in my diary. I get reminded of where I’m intending to go every time I look at the list. Whenever you’re daydreaming about this stuff you can look at the attached notes and add to them.

If you have, or can find some images related to your goals then add them to your photo album. I have pics of boats, space rockets, outrageous sunrises, and other stuff to remind me what I want out of life. And a bit of art too, cos it’s inspirational.

List all your ideas and make your plans. Instead of just doodling on envelopes you will have your future in your pocket and see it taking shape as time passes.

Analyze everything you do wrong or spectacularly right. Learn from your experiences, and set personal policies or goals that are then added to your calendar or to do list. For example, you realise that you screwed up by not working within your circle of influence. The book recommends trying to rectify this by focusing on this one aspect for 30 days, so put a reminder into your calendar repeated for a month. Add ‘review progress’ to your to do list for 30 days from now.

I also have all my current writing projects on the damn thing. In theory I can work on them while on the bus or whatever, but I tend to just read the news etc. Download BBC and Time Asia from avantgo at your morning hotsync and and that’s downtime used effectively, plus less time spent keeping up with the world when you were supposed to be working.

Jeez, I should be the one writing the book. I’ll add it to my list.

Added that one this morning. :laughing:

[quote=“Tye Phoodza”]This is up to you but since you are going to be ordering from Amazon anyway, then one way to help support this privately funded board is to make your order from Amazon in a way that forumosa gets a little $ from it.

Click here for an explanation on how to do it.[/quote]
I plan on doing just that.

[quote=“miltownkid”]The other books on my list are:

• A bunch of books about Chinese that Cranky suggested[/quote]
    For another Chinese-related book, you might also be interested in Modern Chinese: History and Sociolinguisitics, by Ping Chen. I disagree with the author about a number of things, but the book does a good job of laying out a lot of the basic questions about the Chinese languages, which is something you seem interested in.

You can look at the table of contents and some other material at Amazon.

What, specifically, do you disagree with Ping on?

If this is an inappropriate thread to ask that question, please let me know where we can discuss it.

Not sure if these are what you are looking for, but…

The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success…Deepak Chophra

The Artist’s Way…Julia Cameron

Less pragmatic, more esoteric approaches…if that’s your thing…

Hahaha. That’s funny. :imp: It could also just mean that I learned the lessons of the book really well, got my priorities straight, took what I needed from the book and then didn’t waste any more time on it.

[quote]
The other books on my list are:

• A bunch of books about Chinese that Cranky suggested
  • 2 different language books (the titles slip my mind)
  • And whatever you guys suggest. [/quote]

Are these books about Chinese mentioned in another thread? I’d be interested in seeing what people recommend.

The Chinese Language: Fact and Fantasy
ABC Chinese-English Dictionary
and whatever else Cranky suggests I pick up :smiley: .

The language book is (I thought I had 2 I wanted to get, maybe I was thinking of another Cranky suggestion)
How to learn any language
I’m hoping I can pull some more tips from that book and add them to my own arsenal of language tools.

[quote=“Cold Front”]What, specifically, do you disagree with Ping on?

If this is an inappropriate thread to ask that question, please let me know where we can discuss it.[/quote]
I wouldn’t mind. If there’s a lot you have to say it might better suite you if you started a new thread for discussions sake. Then it wouldn’t get tangled up witht he other book suggestions. Your call.

I’m gonna go ahead and adjust the topic title too.

[quote=“Sharky”]milltwon,

if you find that book, once you read it loan it to me… I think too much and therefore tend to get distracted…

oh yeah, and Forumosa doesn’t help much[/quote]
I just noticed that :laughing: It almost make me wanna change my user name milltwonkid. :laughing:

www.pinyin.info/readings/

Most of the books there have sample chapters on my site.

[quote=“miltownkid”]The Chinese Language: Fact and Fantasy
ABC Chinese-English Dictionary
and whatever else Cranky suggests I pick up .[/quote]

:smiley: If it’s going to be just one more, I’d say Asia’s Orthographic Dilemma or Difficult Characters.

He’s much more pro-character than I am, though this doesn’t come out so much in Modern Chinese, which I think is quite good, as in other works, such as Language Planning and Language Policy: East Asian Perspectives. I’m also of the “languages, not dialects” school.

Well I’m almost ready. My mom suggested I read this:
crystalclarity.com/yogananda/
(not sure if I’ll buy it or not since it’s all online)

and anything written buy this guy:
parallax.org/
Maybe someone could help me sort out her second request, because he seems to have written a lot of books.

The other books will all be choice language and Mandarin/Chinese books.