Books on education

I’m interested in the stages of development in children. From age 0 till 6,7,8 higher?

and

Children learning more then one language.

I saw some books at Cave’s that were very interesting, but I wasn’t sure if there was a “better” starting point. One of the books I remember liking was made by Oxford (I think).

Thanks

Casey (yes I did search the archives)

I would recommend that you start with anything by Maria Montessori. “Discovery of a Child” is a good one. Of course, many will tell you that her theories have now been discredited, but you’ll soon notice that in this field everyone’s theory has been discredited.
When you’re done with that I would recommend this book by Douglas Brown:
Principles of Language Learning and Teaching
amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de … 8?v=glance

You can get it at Caves. It has a different cover (more yellowish) and you can find it upstairs in the teacher section. It helped me a lot when I was teaching and even when I was studying Chinese. In fact, I think that book would help you learn to do anything. Good luck.

[quote=“chessman71”]When you’re done with that I would recommend this book by Douglas Brown:
Principles of Language Learning and Teaching
amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de … 8?v=glance

You can get it at Caves. It has a different cover (more yellowish) and you can find it upstairs in the teacher section. It helped me a lot when I was teaching and even when I was studying Chinese. In fact, I think that book would help you learn to do anything. Good luck.[/quote]

I haven’t got “Discovery of a Child” yet, but so far “Principles of Language learning and Teaching” has been very informative. I did get it from caves.

Thanks for the recommendation.

A good one i got from Caves is ‘Techniques and Principles in Language Teaching’ by Diane Larsen-Freeman. It outlines about 12 major approaches to teaching ESL from the oldfashioned ‘translate sentences into your native language’ through stuff like TPR, taxk-based learning etc. It compares the theories behind each method and analyses a sample lesson for each one. It’s a good read, and interesting to think about what methods are used in Taiwan and what methods could work.

Brian

A lot fo good books on teaching theory available. Does anyone know of any good books which focus more on practical teaching that would be hopeful for teaching children in Taiwan? I’m thinking mroe like teaching manuals and ideas books.

Brian