Books we pretend we've read

I liked it okay. It was a bit of a struggle to get through at times, but I thought it was unique for its time and the narrative was pretty layered.

‘Tuesdays With The Dying Old Man Everyone Loves and Who Knows Everything About Life’ on the other hand… well, let’s just say I’m glad it was only like a hundred pages or something.

I was smart enough not to get within reading distance of that one… :slightly_smiling_face:

Much better, I’ve heard. Never got to it. Bought it. Never got to it and then I moved to Taiwan without it

You mean you avoided airports between the years 1996 and 2004? :wink:

1 Like

I’m near-sighted.

1 Like

Hmm, looks interesting. Going on the reading list.

1 Like

You sure haven’t read enough wishy-washy New Age claptrap.

1 Like

Any reccos?

The titles I can’t make out are The Haunting of […?] (top center) and something by Kazuo Ishiguro (top right).

I don’t think the one to the left of Tolkien is Salinger btw. :2cents:

Anyway, I score at least 5, maybe 6 depending on which Ishiguro it is.

It’s Never Let Me Go.

Pretty sure it is.

Hmpf, okay, 50’s style.

For that, You get 1 year of your centuries-long stay in Purgatory upgraded to Purgatory Premium™, but you still need to pay for any alcoholic drinks you order in the PP Lounge, or any drinks at all after hours. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Read 0.

1 Like

Did you go to high school in the U.S.?

5/10, but I didn’t pretend to read the others. :idunno:

Yes. This was the AP English list.

Pride and Prejudice*
Crime and Punishment*
Washington Square
Siddhartha*
Brave New World
Macbeth

*Didn’t read

But no Orwell? No Homer?

I’ve read seven; eight if the one to left the of The Hobbit is The Catcher in the Rye. Can’t make out the three in the top row to the left of (retch) The Alchemist (anybody know?).

The title-card (presmably) comes from the book by the Italian novelist Italo Calvino, called If on a winter’s night a traveller. It starts with an unamed second-person Reader rummaging through a bookshop for the latest Calvino novel, and having to avoid various classifications of novels including Books You Long Pretended To Have Read But Now Actually Have To Get Around To Reading.

The Haunting of Hill House, Bel Canto and The Secret Garden.

No.

We had to read the Odyssey in college but *didn’t read.

Interesting you had to read Brave New World but not 1984.