Boots Pharmacy

I’m sure any foreigner who likes bathing has already visited a Boots Pharmacy in Taipei…have you ever tried to browse in there without the staff continuously bothering you with their fancy English? I mean, I know it’s a foreign company, but so is McDonald’s, and they definitely are happy if you can speak Chinese.

Every time I go, I’m just waiting to be attacked (verbally assaulted?) by the staff in English…I think it’s their training by the foreign management. I saw a white guy running into the back office once while I was there.

The worst episode I ever had there was once when I was browsing, minding my own business…and this management-type woman barged over and proclaimed:

“Sir, if there is anything you are unable to find in the store, or if you desire any assistance of any kind whilst shopping here at Boots, please don’t hesitate to inquire about our products or services.”…to which I replied with a loud “XIE XIE!”

grrrrrr…

I think you have to look at it from their perspective. They are trying to do their best by you. I usually just smile at them and tell them that if I need them I’ll look for them, but in the meantime I’ll just look around by myself - it makes me nervous when someone is watching me…Usually works, and everyone responds positively to a smile…

“Just an Occident Waiting to Happen”

You said:I usually just smile at them and tell them that if I need them I’ll look for them, but in the meantime I’ll just look around by myself

Do you answer them in English or Chinese?

And yes, they are “trying to do their best by you”…but that doesn’t mean it’s not annoying, does it?