Bopomofo Next to Chinese Characters on a Computer?

Just want to bump this in 2020 and see if anyone has any ideas how to do this today, or if anyone knows what software publishing places in Taiwan use. I’m translating some English picture books into Chinese for a local publisher as an experiment kind of thing for my internship to see how it goes. I have the Chinese translations with the bpmf next to them generated in Microsoft Word, but no idea how to ‘port’ it over into the InDesign file.
I’m a third culture kid born in a Western country so no real idea how they do it in Taiwan… any thoughts would be appreciated.

These articles show how to add Bopomofo 注音 or other special characters into InDesign files

You can check these videos that could probably help to port the Microsoft word file into InDesign

2 Likes

That’s brilliant, thank you so much. I tried searching youtube & google for InDesign ㄅㄆㄇㄈ/注音符號 but didn’t get any relevant results - evidently wasn’t hitting the right keywords. Thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi.
My kids are attending school here and I am helping them as much as I can. I wanted to put bopomofo on the side of the Chinese Characters in a fast and easy way.
I use this website (https://toneoz.com/) which automatically adds bopomofo to the text. The downside is that you can only do one page at a time. As far as I can see. Maybe there is a way to do longer texts but I haven’t discovered how. And you can only export the resulting text as a PNG image file.

What I do is use google translator image to text in my cellphone to “scan” the text. Then paste into Google Keep to “transfer” the chinese text into my PC and then use the website to add the bopomofo and export the image.

Of couse this method is not useful to edit professional documents, but if someone here needs to kind of easily insert bopomofo to a chinese text. This is a way to do it.