Boracay, Philippines

Lots of things to do in Boracay. You could do Island hopping, snorkelling, scuba diving, jet ski, banana boat, etc. You’ll love it beacause of its sand! the best i’ve seen so far… when do u plan to go there anyway?

Not sure. Am waffling on Boracay, or Penghu sometime in August.

I’m sure B. would be more exciting than P. but P. would save me a lot of cash (I think).

Check prices carefully. You might get a surprise!

Boracay is cheap. Show up, don’t book in advance. Walk away from the beach a bit and your set with a cheap place with hot water and shower too. The beer there is cheaper than water! 2 for 1 from 4pm - 9pm. the sunsets are amazing.
Go for it!

Is there a campsite? Is it easy to rent a scooter?

I dont know of any campsite there. Yes, you can rent a scooter…

Jet skis and banana boats. No tranquility then?

No campsites, and don’t rent a scooter! Rent a motorcycle (dirt bike) - Boracay’s roads are atrocious! Also be very careful - lots of foreigners get on a high-powered dirt bike with no helmet and then try driving fast on a rutted road with lots of big stones and deep holes and go flying. They then spend the rest of the vacation trying to keep the sand out of their wounds. :cry:

Jet skis and banana boats. No tranquility then?[/quote]
Actually, they make you take a boat out to a floating station far away from the beach and do your jet-ski stuff there. Very well thought-out. The banana boats are closer to the beach, but they’re not that popular - only one or two a day, if I remember correctly.

You can also rent motorcycles (big dirt bikes!) and go exploring around the island. On the far side of the island, there’s Puka beach where you can beachcomb for shells, and not too far from that is the “Bat Cave”, a huge cavern in the side of a hill with a cave ceiling that’s covered with bats. The descent down into the cave is pretty treachorous, so BE CAREFUL! That’s not the place to be breaking your back or cracking your head open when you slip 3 metres down a guano-covered boulder onto another guano-covered boulder. At the bottom of the cae is a pool of water that glows a beautiful eerie blue. The pool is actually an underwater tunnel that leads to the sea (yes you can scuba dive in it), and the floor of the underwater tunnel is covered with Boracay’s famous white sand, which reflects light all the way into the Bat Cave. Really cool.

For food, Definitely go to True Food, the best Indian food I’ve had in a long time. The restaurant is on the second floor of an A-Frame bungalow overlooking the beach. With Indian music playing softly over the speakers, you can sprawl over the cushions and rugs set up around each table and feel the gentle evening breeze wafting over you.

There’s also a Portuguese seafood restaurant there called Banza (I think!) that’s very good.

For accomodation, I recommend Sand Castles. They’re expensive but beautiful and the location is perfect - very quiet, but not so far from the main drag as to feel isolated…

Souvenir-shopping is pretty good there too. AT least there are a lot of cheap trinkets (mostly made from seashells and stuff) that make decent gifts for friends and family back in the old country. I got a small shark-tooth necklace for my nephew, which he thought was pretty cool. I picked up a really interesting folding wooden chair made from a single piece of wood for only 3000 pesos. The chair is very solid and will last longer than I will, I’m sure.

With any luck the wife and I will be spending CNY at Boracay. Anyone care to join us? :sunglasses:

Only been there once. i still recommend you to stay in Waling Waling. Not sure bout the price though.

You might wanna check out El Nido in Palawan… but i still love the sand of Boracay!

The place I found on the beach was only 800 pesos per night and there were many others that were cheaper and I am kind picky about hotels. The places you guys show here are crazy expensive. When I went to Boracay maybe 6 or 7 years ago, it was dirt cheap. If it costs that much now, I think I would choose somewhere else as for that price range there are plently of places to choose from.

The Waling liknk is great.How much NT will you need for a week in this paradise,including tickets,food and all the other little things.

geez… don’t know really… it’s not peak season now… so, it might be cheaper than the usual. hmm… i guess you might be spending around USD 200 for a 3 night 2 days accomodation… this might include a plane fare from manila to kalibo… just check with the travel agencies in manila. i recommend www.bridgestravel.com

Just got back from Fulong beach. Still, nothing beats the sand of boracay!!!

oh, i also recommend Pagudpud and Bohol in the Philippines. nice places i heard. :slight_smile:

One word to describe Boracay. AWESOME! Cheap, beautiful beach, great food! I will definately go back.

Waling is not cheap.

WHERE’S THE CAMPSITE!!!

yeah, i guess it’s not. i’ve no idea any cheap place in boracay. as far as i’m concerned, never heard of any campsite in boracay.

Anyone been to Borocay in the phillipines? Can you rent a bungalow on the beach there? Is the food good? How’s the diving over there? Is there surfing there? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I have a trip booked for Chinese new year.
Cheers!

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=14556&highlight=borocay

Leo,
That thread may answer some of your questions. I found it by clicking search, writing “boracay” and selecting the Travel forum.

Thank you.

Been there and had a lovely time!

You can get anything from a hotel room to a bungalow on or very near the beach, depending on your budget. The food’s good and cheap. Lots of European restaurants (Italian, German etc.) and Thai and what not. Drinks are even cheaper :slight_smile:

Snorkeling was awesome, but make sure you take your own trip on one of the “private” boats if you want to avoid the crowds. They stop where they want and it’s not necessarily the best spots. Go it alone and ask to go to the best spots. it is a little more expensive but definitely worth it. Ask for the spot around Crocodile Island.

I am sure diving must be a blast. Saw a couple of shops all over the beach.

Surfing (windsurfing) on the east coast of the island where the wind will assist that sort of thing.

Enjoy!!! Sure you will!

Cheers!

So what’s so special about Waling that enables it to charge hundreds of US dollars a night in the Philippines?