Borat movie release in Taipei?

Hmm…I think I remember “Hostel” having male nudity in it?
There was certainly lots of female bits.

Huh? I’ve seen lots of movies in the theatres here with nudity in them.
They won’t censor any of the wording either, since it’s English.[/quote]

So, what is the difference than on censorship in cinema’s , Tv and magazines here?
There is that famous gossip magazine with bunch of soft-erotic non-showing-anything beauties, there are those blue-red-yellow -green warings on TVand in Cinema’s you have the minimum age , but even then, I did see some movies which were certainly not suitable for 14-16 YO’s (sorry forgot the titles)
and all x-rated movies are blured no?

Seems there are different standards of morility in Taiwan? ( a bot off topic I know_)

They’re flogging Borat at the DVD store here in my city, dubbed into Russian, with English subtitles.

What’s the point of that? It is only 40NT though…

end of MARCH you say. Surely the DVD will be out by then. And censored? Seems crazy. This sort of behavior will drive people to torrent sites…

DVD comes out in the USA on March 6th.

I just sent a copy to my brother-in-law in Taiwan. What a crazy, funny movie! No wonder every person he came in contact with during the movie wanted to sue him…hahaha. They should have read the fine print in the waiver. Priceless!

I picked up a copy on DVD in Vancouver last week. Yep, it’s a good old belly ache alright.

The DVD comes with 30mins + of deleted (and censored) scenes, and a bunch of footage from the Borat world tour during the premieres. Priceless.

I still have no idea how they are going to translate some of that stuff for TW viewing.

If anyone else wants the Borat DVD for $NT900 send me a pm and I’ll get some in. Sent straight to your door and no credit card required. It’s listed on www.shinyimports.com so you can do it there if you prefer.

Nices prices there. Are they original DVDs, or do they come via China?

Back OT: It is a great movie. But I agree that much of its humor will fall on confused ears here. Not because of translation issues, but because much of the comedy requires a fairly deep understanding of American culture.

The slapstick parts will go over great, though.

[quote=“mildsevenlights”]Nices prices there. Are they original DVDs, or do they come via China?[/quote]Everything is original from a legal wholesaler either in the UK or the US. I get a discount which mainly goes towards shipping leaving them around the same as the list price.

Although the Borat DVD is styled as a dodgy CD-R :wink:

Wouldn’t a legal official release of Borat be available at Gwang-Hwa market, among other outlets, for about 400 to 600nt? $900 seems a bit steep.

[quote=“Mer”]Wouldn’t a legal official release of Borat be available at Gwang-Hwa market, among other outlets, for about 400 to 500nt? $900 seems a bit steep.[/quote]Not for a while, it only opens in cinemas on Friday (I think). If you want to wait a few months you probably can get an official region 3 release for that price range. Until then there are only unofficial grey imports. Official list price in the US is $29.99

Depends how long you want to wait for it.

I was in Canada over Chinese New Year and into March a week or so. It came out there on the 6th. Best Buy, among others, have it for CAN$24.99. That works out to be about about 700nt.

I guess my point was, that my experience has been that new releases of major movies come down in price pretty quick at most outlets here.

You still have to get it to Taiwan and my $900 includes shipping to your door and no credit card is needed.

I’m not doing this to con anyone, or even to make money. I’m just trying to help people get things the movie and games companies don’t seem willing to sell. I know how frustrating it is not being able to find a common DVD or game, that’s why I started this. If someone asks me about something that is available in Taiwan, I will tell them where to get it.

Get it from www.bestbuy.com if you like, I don’t mind as long as it’s legal. I see myself as a last resort. I’ll happily shut up shop when the movie companies realize that we all live in the same world and I can buy the same things Americans and Europeans can without importing.

No biggie, they do their stuff, I do my stuff.

Does anyone here know if this is playing anywhere in Kaohsiung?? I see its showing now in Taipei but the Khh Mega and Dashuan Universal websites don’t list it at all…Typical!!
Are we going to get gipped on this one??

[quote=“Lacerate”]Does anyone here know if this is playing anywhere in Kaohsiung?? I see its showing now in Taipei but the Khh Mega and Dashuan Universal websites don’t list it at all…Typical!!
Are we going to get gipped on this one??[/quote]
I wouldn’t normally say this, but seriously, wait for the DVD.

The DVD has got some brilliant deleted scenes for starters (30min worth). You probably will only need a short wait to see it on the shelves here, or just get it off BFM. I paid 800nt for my copy in Canada 2 weeks ago, so 900nt delivered is actually a cracking deal.

I watched this this evening, and it had me on the floor in stitches. The gags, the timing, the sheer bottle of this guy to do what he did - it was all brilliant and far funner than I expected.

A must see! :laughing:

If it really is censored in the theaters you should definitely hold out for the DVD. I was going to go to the theater, but I was forced to watch it on DVD last night and I must say I’m glad I did. Extra bits on the DVD are great.

It should be watched in good company and at least one token American person. Of the “proud to be” kind, preferably. Ideally not too many Americans as it is easier to gang up on just a few.

And you get to see a naked obese man’s testicles! The movie experience just doesn’t really get much better than that. I laughed so much I did something to my shoulder and could hardly use my arm the whole of the next day.

Oh, and “token American person”? Don’t feel too bad – Borat does it to Brits as well. Maybe even worse.

I loved Borat, but could do with a little less naked hairy fat guy and Sacha running around and frolicking.