Bored with it all

A not very close family friend of mine (close to some of my family, just not me) ended himself this week. He hung himself ith a sign hung around his neck that read “bored with it all”.
This is a new one to me. Now don’t get me wrong, I know damned well my depression is 100 times worse when I’m bored. But I can’t imagine being bored enough to off myself. Although I have been bored enough to watch half of Waterworld, so I might have been close.
His self induced ending got me to thinking. If you find yourself in that much of a rut, how do you get out? How do you FIND new hobbies? If you have gotten to the point of bored that nothing excites you (from my experience it does go in this nice cycle of “I’m so bored that I’m no longer interested in anything new”) how do you find new things to keep you from being bored?
I’m lucky. I love my job and am rarely bored with it. While I do get bored at home, I actually enjoy reading and I have hobbies that keep me sane. But I find myself wondering what I would tell to a friend who was as bored as Randy was. How do you help someone who isn’t quite depressed… just really effin bored?

Perhaps amputating a finger or two, instead of suicide, would help relieve the boredom.

Then you have to learn how to tie the noose without those fingers. That could keep you entertained for hours.

The pointlessness of life, that I could partly understand - but boredom? What trivial excess, what self-absorption, what abject cowardice!
Boredom should be seen as a luxury afforded those who are lucky enough not to be preoccupied with earning a living. I think spending time in a dirt poor country would help someone with such an outlook.

He probably believed that he was no longer capable of experiencing happiness, as if he was locked into a permanent state of boredom. Knowing that other people are even less happy would not likely have improved his state of mind.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]A not very close family friend of mine (close to some of my family, just not me) ended himself this week. He hung himself ith a sign hung around his neck that read “bored with it all”.
This is a new one to me. Now don’t get me wrong, I know damned well my depression is 100 times worse when I’m bored. But I can’t imagine being bored enough to off myself. Although I have been bored enough to watch half of Waterworld, so I might have been close.
His self induced ending got me to thinking. If you find yourself in that much of a rut, how do you get out? How do you FIND new hobbies? If you have gotten to the point of bored that nothing excites you (from my experience it does go in this nice cycle of “I’m so bored that I’m no longer interested in anything new”) how do you find new things to keep you from being bored?
I’m lucky. I love my job and am rarely bored with it. While I do get bored at home, I actually enjoy reading and I have hobbies that keep me sane. But I find myself wondering what I would tell to a friend who was as bored as Randy was. How do you help someone who isn’t quite depressed… just really effin bored?[/quote]

wild sex ?

Don’t you drink or do drugs?

No, I’m actually serious. Sex, drugs, and rock’n’roll are there for the basic hedonistic pleasures. And if you need something more intellectually stimulating, well…I’ve never read Proust, or made it all the way through Ulysses, and there are two dozen languages (Chinese for example) that I’ve never become fluent in. You can work and save money for travels…there are literally 100 countries I’ve never visited that I’d love to visit. I’ve never done any hangliding or jumped off an airplane or scuba-dove into shark-infested waters. There are so many things in this very, very short (way too short) lifetime that I have never experienced, that cutting my life short is the ultimate insanity. My main gripe in life is that I don’t have the money or time to do all the things I’d love to do. I mean, I’d love to take a year off to practice meditation with the monks in Nepal, but who can afford to do that?!

[quote=“Quentin”]Don’t you drink or do drugs?

No, I’m actually serious. Sex, drugs, and rock’n’roll are there for the basic hedonistic pleasures. And if you need something more intellectually stimulating, well…I’ve never read Proust, or made it all the way through Ulysses, and there are two dozen languages (Chinese for example) that I’ve never become fluent in. You can work and save money for travels…there are literally 100 countries I’ve never visited that I’d love to visit. I’ve never done any hangliding or jumped off an airplane or scuba-dove into shark-infested waters. There are so many things in this very, very short (way too short) lifetime that I have never experienced, that cutting my life short is the ultimate insanity. My main gripe in life is that I don’t have the money or time to do all the things I’d love to do. I mean, I’d love to take a year off to practice meditation with the monks in Nepal, but who can afford to do that?![/quote]

That is great advice. Life for me is too short. I would like another 100 years (if i could remain healthy lol). Lots of things to do, learn and experience. Imagine if you were on death row or had cancer. What things would you like to do that you haven’t done yet ?

How about going out and helping other people ?

Most people feel depressed because they are in a situation they think they cannot change, once they find that they can change it then they usually change too. (serious medical cases exempt)

I am very sorry to hear about your friend SAFOB.

Hmmm…I was watching something on National Geo yesterday about a BASE jumper (ya know the ones that jump off of cliffs, buildings…etc…). He had some childhood disease, was very shy growing up and basically didn’t find any point to life. He said he was too scared to kill himself, so he started base jumping. Of course, the irony is that through the sport with which he tried to kill himself, he has now found out why he wants to live. This will likely kill him in the process.

Anyway. Tomorrow is not today telescoped out to infinity. It’s important to keep that in mind.

I think telling a depressed person to drink and do drugs is seriously bad advice.

I agree with the fat Kiwi. There again, his boredom was probably a misnomer for chronic depression. Poor bloke, though. Must be hellish to find yourself in such a place with no apparent way out.

Agreed.

HG

[quote=“sandman”]I agree with the fat Kiwi. There again, his boredom was probably a misnomer for chronic depression. Poor bloke, though. Must be hellish to find yourself in such a place with no apparent way out.[/quote]I agree. It’s possible that he didn’t know he had depression. All he can feel is boredom, or rather what he can only put into words as boredom.

Or it could be purposefully belittling his condition by trivializing something that is not quite so trivial.

I liked Waterworld.

[quote=“Elegua”]Hmmm…I was watching something on National Geo yesterday about a BASE jumper (ya know the ones that jump off of cliffs, buildings…etc…). He had some childhood disease, was very shy growing up and basically didn’t find any point to life. He said he was too scared to kill himself, so he started base jumping. Of course, the irony is that through the sport with which he tried to kill himself, he has now found out why he wants to live. This will likely kill him in the process.

Anyway. Tomorrow is not today telescoped out to infinity. It’s important to keep that in mind.[/quote]

let me get this right,

this dude on NG pretended that he started BJ in the hope that 1 of his attempt will result in death?? :noway: :noway:

[quote=“dablindfrog”][quote=“Elegua”]Hmmm…I was watching something on National Geo yesterday about a BASE jumper (ya know the ones that jump off of cliffs, buildings…etc…). He had some childhood disease, was very shy growing up and basically didn’t find any point to life. He said he was too scared to kill himself, so he started base jumping. Of course, the irony is that through the sport with which he tried to kill himself, he has now found out why he wants to live. This will likely kill him in the process.

Anyway. Tomorrow is not today telescoped out to infinity. It’s important to keep that in mind.[/quote]

let me get this right,

this dude on NG pretended that he started BJ in the hope that 1 of his attempt will result in death?? :noway: :noway:[/quote]

Yes. But then we went on to say that a)he found that life was actually worth living, now that he is a professional & famous base jumper b)he expects to die base jumping Sounds like a construct to me.

I think that’s very profound.

I agree. I joked about that movie star with a funny nose who just slashed his wrists, because he seems to have so much (fame and fortune anyway), so it seemed to me that whatever was bothering him must have been relatively trivial. But in that thread you helped me to understand better, BFM. From the outside it might seem trivial, but if your head is totally fucked up and you’re seriously depressed and can’t change it, it doesn’t matter that others might perceive your problems as trivial – they’re not the ones living inside your fucked up head.

“It’s hard to see the picture when you’re inside the frame.”