Boring Taiwan versus Boring USA

Many of my adult students have said the same thing to me. I usually ask them: What kind of thing do you consider fun? They always say shopping.

Seriously, they think shopping is fun. That and eating.

When I tell them that partying is way more fun than shopping they ask questions like, “What is the function of a party?” Or, “What do people do at a party?” And to explain parties to them I also have to explain a whole bunch of other shit, like how a lot of western people do not live with their parents, how no one over 18 has a curfew - not even the girls - and how safe sex is a socially sanctioned activity. I usually summarize by saying that, in my country, a 30 year old virgin who lived with their parents and whose primary source of fun was shopping would be widely regarded as having mental problems. Rightly or rightly.

And no one in their right mind would come to one of my friggin classes but I don’t say that.

A couple of weeks ago a lady told me - and I’m not making this up - that she went to a school reunion on the Sunday and had so much excitement that she had to take a day off work on the Monday to recover. She said she probably won’t go to the next one because it would be “too exciting” .