Boston bombing pics photoshopped by us media

[quote=“the human stain”]So now we have the US Media photoshopping the pictures taken to cover up injuries of those affected by the bombing. Those journalists who took the pictures are horrified to find their content has been digitally altered.

Why is it that the American media seem so obsessed in not showing actual images of this when they have happily been showing people with blown off limbs
from wars conducted by America in Iraq?

Why the double standards? Claiming to want to protect the victims and the relatives is just posturing for political correctness gone overboard again.[/quote]

Source…?

That’s obvious, I saw this morning on the news they blurred the horror, is not something new.

I think blurring and recreating a pair of pants fall under different categories of distortion.

I don’t know if it’s really a great idea to show all the blood and guts regardless of the location or event. I once drove by a bad traffic accident and saw brains and guts splattered all over the pavement. I wish I never saw it and wouldn’t want to see similar images presented by the mainstream media

They’ve been censoring gore since long before Photoshop was even a twinkle in Thomas Knoll’s eye.

I think blurring and recreating a pair of pants fall under different categories of distortion.[/quote]

Holly shit! I just saw the link, I’m struggling as a graphic artist but no thank you I don’t want that job. nevertheless is done for the same reason.

It makes you think how many times we have seen a picture of a terrible event and is all cover on photoshop to suppress the gore. Its just a new technique for censoring, as long as the investigations keep the original picture for the people that have the guts and gets paid to see that kind of stuff.

But you can accept that feeling will wax and wane right? As you grip and loosen the concept of your death… It should be shown, in my opinion. We are all biological beings and some piece of shit ripped a persons legs to shit. We should have the choice to see that. It’s nobodies job to protect me from being a visceral being. Or from recognizing that the rest of you meat bags are constructed similarly. If you hide it and you sanitize it and nobody really grasps how horrific it all is then what is the lesson for Joe Public? What is the lesson for the next hepped up douche who doesn’t fully see how his/her stab at the world will truly play out? I stick a knife in you and it is fucking horrific for both of us. We will only ever find that out at the moment of stabbing (we the uneducated, we the under/over loved etc) if we are initially protected from knowing the horror of certain actions in the first place.

But you can accept that feeling will wax and wane right? As you grip and loosen the concept of your death… It should be shown, in my opinion. We are all biological beings and some piece of shit ripped a persons legs to shit. We should have the choice to see that. It’s nobodies job to protect me from being a visceral being. Or from recognizing that the rest of you meat bags are constructed similarly.[/quote]

Notice I didn’t say it should be censored from all sources. I don’t want my children exposed to images of brains and guts from mainstream “news” sources, nor do I care to see blood and gore when attempting to get the gist of a story. I also don’t need to see videos of people getting tortured to get informed and form an opinion about torture. Thank you very much

They should just show the photo or not show it.

But you can accept that feeling will wax and wane right? As you grip and loosen the concept of your death… It should be shown, in my opinion. We are all biological beings and some piece of shit ripped a persons legs to shit. We should have the choice to see that. It’s nobodies job to protect me from being a visceral being. Or from recognizing that the rest of you meat bags are constructed similarly.[/quote]

Notice I didn’t say it should be censored from all sources. I don’t want my children exposed to images of brains and guts from mainstream “news” sources, nor do I care to see blood and gore when attempting to get the gist of a story. I also don’t need to see videos of people getting tortured to get informed and form an opinion about torture. Thank you very much[/quote]

Before we go on, I just wanted to say that I chose to respond to your post because I like the things you write and not because I took issue with the ideas particularly.

For me I don’t have kids, so it’s not about me protecting anyone other than myself. As an individual adult I would say it is your job to decide where your children do and don’t go and decide what they do and don’t watch. It is not the environments responsibily to do that job for you. The world exists. You decide what to show your child.

Are you serious?
Is this thread really about censoring a picture? the title can be misleading to some, specially nowadays when no one knows just wtf happened.

[quote=“superking”]
For me I don’t have kids, so it’s not about me protecting anyone other than myself. As an individual adult I would say it is your job to decide where your children do and don’t go and decide what they do and don’t watch. It is not the environments responsibily to do that job for you. The world exists. You decide what to show your child.[/quote]

I don’t agree, there’s environments you can’t control and you can’t keep kids always under lock and key… the ideal is enough for them to not be softies but also not to make them emotionless sickos. Not an easy feat.

CFi would you and have you taken pics in calamities??

I know there is the napalm girl and other war casualties, but to take pics of people in pain, point blank? While they’re bleeding?? Calling it journalism? I often see accidents, but the idea of taking pics as I pass by …makes me queasy.

I don’t know, but I really don’t need to see pics of a man’s legs blown off. I can comprehend it in words. WHat’s your POV and how do pros justify the pics?

[quote=“Pein_11”]

I don’t agree, there’s environments you can’t control and you can’t keep kids always under lock and key… the ideal is enough for them to not be softies but also not to make them emotionless sickos. Not an easy feat.[/quote]

We agree more than we disagree, I suspect. However, I think the newspaper rack is a place you can keep your kids from. Most people don’t have that image lying around on their coffee table. So what is the deal? We all die, right? Your leg is constructed of bones and sinews and fleshy bits. I wanna know what happens when some asshole nail bombs a leg. Personally. Where is freedom? In your right to be protected or in my right to be exposed? For sure it is an interesting subject. :sunglasses:

EDIT: And anyway I want to frame it around my original point which was that at various stages in our life death is a stronger or weaker concept. And it’s not cool for people to impose on the world that we should embrace a more cautious view of our existences when we all feel various degrees of connection with being alive. So show the bloody bloody leg. :laughing:

CFi would you and have you taken pics in calamities??

I know there is the napalm girl and other war casualties, but to take pics of people in pain, point blank? While they’re bleeding?? Calling it journalism? I often see accidents, but the idea of taking pics as I pass by …makes me queasy.

I don’t know, but I really don’t need to see pics of a man’s legs blown off. I can comprehend it in words. WHat’s your POV and how do pros justify the pics?[/quote]

I don’t really have an opinion either way. I do know that all or almost all of the photographers who regularly do that are haunted by it.

[quote=“Pein_11”]Are you serious?
Is this thread really about censoring a picture? the title can be misleading to some, specially nowadays when no one knows just wtf happened.[/quote]

I think the original intent was to cook a conspiracy theory.

[quote=“TexMex”][quote=“Pein_11”]Are you serious?
Is this thread really about censoring a picture? the title can be misleading to some, specially nowadays when no one knows just wtf happened.[/quote]

I think the original intent was to cook a conspiracy theory.[/quote]

Most probably.

But you can accept that feeling will wax and wane right? As you grip and loosen the concept of your death… It should be shown, in my opinion. We are all biological beings and some piece of shit ripped a persons legs to shit. We should have the choice to see that. It’s nobodies job to protect me from being a visceral being. Or from recognizing that the rest of you meat bags are constructed similarly. If you hide it and you sanitize it and nobody really grasps how horrific it all is then what is the lesson for Joe Public? What is the lesson for the next hepped up douche who doesn’t fully see how his/her stab at the world will truly play out? I stick a knife in you and it is fucking horrific for both of us. We will only ever find that out at the moment of stabbing (we the uneducated, we the under/over loved etc) if we are initially protected from knowing the horror of certain actions in the first place.[/quote]

Reading your post, this came to mind:

[quote=“superking”]
We agree more than we disagree, I suspect. However, I think the newspaper rack is a place you can keep your kids from. Most people don’t have that image lying around on their coffee table. So what is the deal? We all die, right? Your leg is constructed of bones and sinews and fleshy bits. I wanna know what happens when some asshole nail bombs a leg. Personally. Where is freedom? In your right to be protected or in my right to be exposed? For sure it is an interesting subject. :sunglasses:

EDIT: And anyway I want to frame it around my original point which was that at various stages in our life death is a stronger or weaker concept. And it’s not cool for people to impose on the world that we should embrace a more cautious view of our existences when we all feel various degrees of connection with being alive. So show the bloody bloody leg. :laughing:[/quote]

Yes we agree more than what we disagree, but on different levels i guess haha.
Stuff needs to be known, I’ll give you that, but I would believe a learning curve is necessary, the human psyche is fragile, they can get traumatized (cliche, but it happens) desensitized, or turn them into gore addicts… help a kid bury a dead pet before you show him a man in pain with exposed bones in the news (and i would still be hesitant about it).
It is an awesome topic indeed! :sunglasses:

Living outside the US, you have no idea how innundated we are here with these images. They are playing nothing but the Boston story on all media – TV, radio, print – 24/7. It is not a matter of whether to show an image once. They are being shown continuously.

I’ve managed to not see more than a couple of seconds of the event, and I’ve seen no images besides some quick, shaky footage of people running. I insulate myself from these things. I change the channel. I have no desire to see the carnage and I manage to avoid it almost entirely. Just hearing about it second hand from reading these threads is more than enough for me.

Of course this means I haven’t put on NPR or C-SPAN radio since the event, but I have other things to listen to during my drives (and usually a craving for hamburgers by the time I reach my destination, strangely enough, ones from Wendy’s).

It’s entirely possible to avoid it, though. My vote would be to have the images available and published for those people who wish to see them, and to expect people who do not wish to see them to take the responsibility to avoid them.