Bottom 5 cities you've visited

kayo - it’s stupid.

[quote=“Alien”][quote=“iris”]
My absolute bottom place would be
Baoshan - Yunnan/China - got stuck there over Chinese New Year because the bus station closed down every time they saw us foreigners approaching the ticket office. [/quote]

:laughing: Same thing happened to us in Litang, Szechan. We tried for days to get a ticket and they kept lying to us about when the bus was leaving. “Tomorrow!” Then we’d get there and NO BUS. Or “day after tomorrow”, and we’d go there and the bus had left the day before. I finally just exploded on this Han bus station chick after about five days of that shit, and got a gurgling growl from her like some kind of wild animal. It was so bizarre! [/quote]

so why did they do this with the buses?
It sounds like Sean Penn in U-turn…

Ankara, Turkey
Da-Nang, Vietnam
Kingston, Jamaica
Gaza City
Jo’burg, RSA
Arusha, Tanzania

Sanchong is in my bottom five, that’s for sure. So is Duluth.

Sanchong is a pit. In fact, most of “suburban” Taipei is the revolting pits UNLESS you can move to a manicured mountainside development above all the squallor… :wink:

Asston, Buttville, Hineyberg, Twin Cheeks, and Rumps Wallow.

But I’ve never been to me.

Sanchong is a pit. In fact, most of “suburban” Taipei is the revolting pits UNLESS you can move to a manicured mountainside development above all the squallor… :wink:[/quote]

Oh, God, I totally forgot about Sanchong. I used to have to drive through there sometimes when I used to live in Luchou, another pit but at least it had some park space. I remember driving through at 3 am and seeing this old man holding up a bag full of goo to his face. He was sniffing glue on the street, and sniffing, and sniffing, and sniffing.

I lived in Sanchong for a year, and I can definitely confirm that it is indeed a shithole.

damage

Banchaio
Johannesburg
Blantyre
Frankfurt
Bangkok

[quote=“Pixie”]Banqiao
Johannesburg
Blantyre
Frankfurt
Bangkok[/quote]

Hey! I live in Panchiao (Banqiao)! But I live in the yuppie part, so I probably don’t have the same experience you did.

I’ve noticed Johannesburg a couple times–besides the crime, is it that bad?

Paris, France
Detroit
Chicago
New York
L.A.
Did I mention Paris, France? The other four have some good areas, but Paris totally sucked because its full of Frenchmen :laughing:

Flika,

With all do repect to South African posters from the Reef, who actually like their hometown, Jo’burg is a total drag, IMHO. Having said that, their are some pretty hip places around town, and in the northern suburbs. People do carve out lives for themselves and like the city, despite the appaling crime situation. But I just don’t get it. There are parts of downtown Jo’burg where you run what seems like a 95% chance of being robbed, in broad day light, just walking down the street.

Cape Town, on the other hand would easily make my top 5 list of greatest cities in the world. What a magic place… amazing uncrowded beaches, sailing, surfing, towering mountains, winelands, climbing, hiking, great pubs, clubs , and restaurants, exceptional color and light, incredible sunsets, great local architechture. It’s the country’s most cosmopolitan and comfortably integrated city. A bit rough, but well worth the anxiety. Plus, with the current excahnge rate, incredibly affordable at the moment.

[quote=“mwalimu”]

Cape Town, on the other hand would easily make my top 5 list of greatest cities in the world. What a magic place… amazing uncrowded beaches, sailing, surfing, towering mountains, winelands, climbing, hiking, great pubs, clubs , and restaurants, exceptional color and light, incredible sunsets, great local architechture. It’s the country’s most cosmopolitan and comfortably integrated city. A bit rough, but well worth the anxiety. Plus, with the current excahnge rate, incredibly affordable at the moment.[/quote]

I know Cape Town is great (you forgot to add “gorgeous people”), but the current exchange rate isn’t as incredibly affordable as a few years ago (6zar to US$1, used to be like 11zar.) The traffic in that city seems to be getting worse–I hope it doesn’t.

Calgary Alberta Canada
They have the flames. :raspberry:
ski

[quote=“Alien”][quote=“Flicka”]
Parts of Bali (I hate touts, I mean really hate 'em)
[/quote]

What are ‘touts’? And Bali’s not a city. Denpasar is nothing to write home about however…nor Kuta! If you can call it a city.

:wink:[/quote]

I second Kuta and Dempasar.
Though I think that you left out the port town in Lombok from which people ride over to the Gilis. I think the name was Bangsal. Had a run in with the locals and so did every other person that I met who came through the same way.
If at all possible I’d take the speed boat from Padangbai in Bali the next time. Though the Gilis were pretty nice.
Also the the gauntlet that one must run after visiting Borobudur was pretty bad as well.
Oops!!!
Forgot Ilan…My car got towed while I stepped into a Pizza Hut. After we finished ordering I turned around and saw the cop and driver scurrying do do their filthy deed… He saw me running toward him and screaming stop (Taiwanese, Mandarin and English) and when I got into the middle of the road he used the camera to blind me with the flash so they’d have enough time to take off. Never mind that I could have gotten killed being blinded in the middle of the road… MAN!!!

1. Toronto
  2. Toronto
  3. Toronto
  4. Toronto
  5. Toronto

:help:

1. Rotterdam
  2. Hat Yai
  3. Coventry

[quote]Slough

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough!
It isn’t fit for humans now,
There isn’t grass to graze a cow.
Swarm over, Death!

Come, bombs and blow to smithereens
Those air -conditioned, bright canteens,
Tinned fruit, tinned meat, tinned milk, tinned beans,
Tinned minds, tinned breath.

Mess up the mess they call a town-
A house for ninety-seven down
And once a week a half a crown
For twenty years.

And get that man with double chin
Who’ll always cheat and always win,
Who washes his repulsive skin
In women’s tears:

And smash his desk of polished oak
And smash his hands so used to stroke
And stop his boring dirty joke
And make him yell.

But spare the bald young clerks who add
The profits of the stinking cad;
It’s not their fault that they are mad,
They’ve tasted Hell.

It’s not their fault they do not know
The birdsong from the radio,
It’s not their fault they often go
To Maidenhead

And talk of sport and makes of cars
In various bogus-Tudor bars
And daren’t look up and see the stars
But belch instead.

In labour-saving homes, with care
Their wives frizz out peroxide hair
And dry it in synthetic air
And paint their nails.

Come, friendly bombs and fall on Slough
To get it ready for the plough.
The cabbages are coming now;
The earth exhales.

[/quote]

Anywhere in Africa must be terrible.

Most of the places in Taiwan, while having great locals and expats, are absolute dumps by normal, Western standards.

I don’t like poor countries, so I guess that most of the world would be pretty shitty for me.

After Taiwan I want to check out England and the surrounding countries; I can’t wait for that.

:wanker: