Bought a one way ticket from Los Angeles and now I'm in Tao Yuan

Literally just arrived. I came here on short notice. Packed 3 luggage, got on a plane, met my dad (flew in from Bangkok) and am staying at an aunt’s hotel.

I’m a dual citizen, USA and Taiwan. My understanding of my stay in Taiwan is, I have six months to find a job that will offer me a work visa or be forced to enlist in volunteer military service. Can somebody clarify this? I will spend the next 3 days traveling to the southern parts of Taiwan and return to Tao Yuan again. My father departs on the 30th and I’m basically on my own here, with little to no connections.

I am a 24 year old, male. I can speak and converse adequately in Chinese but am limited by my reading and writing abilities.

I have a 1 year under my work experience as a Marketing Coordinator at a software company in Irvine, California.

Looking for a new life here or where opportunities lead, any advice will be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Brez

Jump on a plane and get the f`ck out while you can :slight_smile:

Nose around the Hsichu Science Park job sector.
Get on the 104/1111 job site.
Get a Namecard & Walk around town

Sales positions available in my company, but requirements are tough. PM if interested.

Are you having it rough? What’s your story, interested.

:bravo: :roflmao:

Don’t worry, there are plenty of adult English classes you can attend in Taiwan… :smiley:

Don’t worry, there are plenty of adult English classes you can attend in Taiwan… :smiley:[/quote]

• I , should’ve known there would be many English proofreaders/editors here.

On the topic of classes, any adult Chinese classes?

Don’t worry, there are plenty of adult English classes you can attend in Taiwan… :smiley:[/quote]

• I , should’ve known there would be many English proofreaders/editors here.

On the topic of classes, any adult Chinese classes?[/quote]

Don’t despair. Everyone here needs some Entertainment to keep us sane. You may find that if you persevere on Forumosa ,you will get some great advice,from People who have had vast experience. The reason for a bit of jibing,is that it seems to be a very naïve thing to do,on the face of it,although you may have an agenda that we are not aware of. Just hopping on a Plane to a new Country with no Job etc, seems a little risky :2cents:

thats the stuff that legends are made from ! And some forumosans of olden days just bout did that !

I’m doing the same thing, more or less. Were you hassled about only having a one-way ticket at all?

Back in Taipei after a short travel. A few wise words and deep soul searching, I’ve decided to stay and enlist.

Like the previous comment stated, I do have my own agenda. Gave up a wonderful job and life back in California, so I could go on, well, an adventure.

Thanks for all the help. I’ll be staying in the city and back packing till I’m called for duty.

Welcome. There are a lot of great groups with information on social medias sites like Forumosa.

There are worse places than Taoyuan, but not many. :slight_smile:
Were I you, and interested long term in tech, enroll as a unclassified grad student (assuming you have a Bach.) in the School of Mgmt at NCTU … just a hop away on HSR. Start to network in NewZoo through your contacts at NCTU … I know from teaching at NCTU the faculty is very very well connected with the Tech Park.

He’s Taiwanese. It’s a risk because a lot of airlines won’t let you board without one. However, sometimes they don’t ask to see one. Buy a refundable ticket to HK, for peace of mind.