Bourbon whiskey and its renaissance

You know, I can’t remember if any bourbons other than Jim Beam (white) are available in Taiwan.

Anyway, something or other got me looking at bourbons the other day. Since here in middle America we’re in our meteorlogical tweener season – and thus stouts don’t seem right yet but neither do other ales or even lagers – I’m in the market for booze to tide me over until it snows.

So here’s the bourbon that will likely change my drinking habits here on out.

The bottom line: astonishingly delicious (caveat: I rarely drink spirits but when I do it’s straight up, neat and with no ice, ever. Ever!). Holy shit, batman. Un-:banana:ing-believable how cloistered I am sometimes, this bourbon has been available here since at least 2002. Woodford Reserve Kentucky bourbon is an outstanding American beverage, world class, :banana:ing unreal. Vanilla, butter, fruit (pears and apricots), and the alcohol is just right. Great American history, too.

Maybe there’s hope for American cuisine yet. Certainly bourbon has come a long, long way from the summer of 1978, when Carleton Spencer and I stole 2 fifths of Old Granddad and a quart of Kentucky Gentleman from his neighbor’s garage and proceeded to drink ourselves comatose that night at the local drive-in movie. That night the idiot Spencer ended up driving over the forms his dad built to pour the concrete for his family’s driveway the next morning, while I ended up rising from the dead only to piss in my closet and having to throw out my new clothes for high school (thank God a friend thought to check on me during the night, turning me over on my belly and thus directing my unconscious vomiting away from my lungs). Ever since that night there’s just never been enough olfactory distance between the liquor of sour corn mash and the detritus of its partial digestion. :laughing:

Until now, that is. If you ever find this available for sale or for the taking – if you ever see Woodford Reserve Kentucky bourbon whiskey available for sale in the duty-free shop you happen to be in – buy it, and drink up.

So, have you ever had this bourbon? Or another that you think particularly remarkable? How about any other local alcoholic beverage from your home that you miss particularly?

:America:

[quote=“flike”]How about any other local alcoholic beverage from your home that you miss particularly?
[/quote]

I know I certainly don’t miss this from home. I have seen it here too.

We used to force people coming to our parties to swill a few shots before we let them in.

A friend mailed me a bottle from Winnipeg to Vancouver Island for Christmas as a joke one year, but it backfired on him. I brought it back for all to drink on a subsequent visit home. Just foul stuff. The worst. I’m scared to try any other bourbon now as a result.

I miss Canadian beer. Labatt 50, Blue, and Kokanee to name a few.

[quote=“flike”]Until now, that is. If you ever find this available for sale or for the taking – if you ever see Woodford Reserve Kentucky bourbon whiskey available for sale in the duty-free shop you happen to be in – buy it, and drink up.

So, have you ever had this bourbon?[/quote]

Oh yes I have! It’s my favorite bourbon too. I have a nice big bottle here in my dwelling. Ambrosia of the Gods!

I’ve visited the Labrot & Graham distillery in Woodford County - nestled in the heart of Kentucky’s prime horse-breeding country. The bourbon and the horses are there for the same reason - the water, filtered through limestone karst.

Anyway, here in Taiwan I’ve also seen Knob Creek and Maker’s Mark, which are also very good. But not as good as Woodford Reserve!

[quote=“internet wines & spirits”][url=http://www.internetwines.com/pa91964.html]Long before the American Civil War, the preference among Southern Connoisseurs was for smooth, mellow bourbons, golden in color and rich in taste. This whiskey is made according to the original recipe and method in one of Kentucky’s oldest distilleries, first established in Louisville in 1849.

Strong but slow-spoken, Rebel Yell takes a long time to mellow, so you in turn, should take your time enjoying the fine, deep flavor of one of America’s most authentic bourbon whiskies. Take a glass and explore a piece of history.[/url][/quote]

[quote=“Regan, G. The Book of Bourbon and Other Fine American Whiskeys. Houghton Mifflin, 1998”]“Nose”: Honey, butter, raisins
“Mouth”: A big, round body with a palette that directly follows the nose – honey, butter and just a hint of dark fruit (plums, raisins). The finish is long, warm and interesting in that a touch of spiciness, not present in the palette comes into play.[/quote]

[quote=“Mer”]I know I certainly don’t miss this from home…

[/quote]

Ah, yes. Reminds me of the days we used to drink that stuff and sing that old Stones song:

[quote]Childhood living is easy to do
The things you wanted I bought them for you
Graceless lady you know who I am
You know I can’t let you slide through my hands

Wild turkeys couldn’t drag me away
Wild, wild turkeys, couldn’t drag me away

I watched you suffer a dull aching pain
Now you decided to show me the same
No sweeping exits or offstage lines
Could make me feel bitter or treat you unkind

Wild, wild turkeys, couldn’t drag me away

I know I dreamed you a sin and a lie
I have my freedom but I don’t have much time
Faith has been broken, tears must be cried
Let’s do some living after we die

Wild, wild turkeys, we’ll ride them some day

Wild, wild turkeys, we’ll ride them some day [/quote]

Woodford Reserve?

I hadn’t heard of it before, but thanks for the heads-up about it. I’ll be looking to pick a bottle up the next time I am back in the Midwest.

If it isn’t from Kentucky…it is not bourbon.

It may be ‘charcol filtered’, sour-mash, and have an ad campaign with old farts wearing bib overalls while sitting in rocking chairs…but it ain’t bourbon.

Thank fully there is a good choice of Kentucky bourbons available here in the mythical city.

Even this stuff:(which I have not tried)

Distilled in Kentucky, bottled in France and sold in Tainan, Taiwan.

Blantons…better than many scotches

1 Like

Jack D is bourbon right? I usually drink American Whisky with mixers as it is sacrilidge to mix simgle malt Scotch with anything including water or ice.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Jack D is bourbon right?[/quote]Technically no, it is not a Bourbon whisky. [quote=“Edgar Allen”]I usually drink American Whisky with mixers as it is sacrilidge to mix simgle malt Scotch with anything including water or ice.[/quote]There are many types of “American” whiskies. As there are Canadian and Irish whiskies.

Good Kentucky Bourbon should be mixed only with ice cubes, preferably no more than 3, or a bit of cool pure water.

And that’s an understatement. :slight_smile:

To my taste buds, this bourbon is easily as complex as VSOP cognac. I mean really, this stuff is a revelation that I still ain’t over (obviously).

Yeah, a co-worker tells me this is also good bourbon. It’s also about half the price of the WR, and there ain’t nothing wrong with saving money. I believe I’m going to have to try this stuff.

Great name, too. A few months back I was in a bar called Old Glory (in DC) that was serving a really vile-sounding mixed drink called an “appletini.” Two jiggers of Rebel Yell and a jigger of sour apple schnapps, over ice, with a splash of 7-Up and some sliced citrus fruit jammed over the rim. Jesus.

Talk about a gelding.

You can always tell the social-political alignment of a bar if it serves Rebel Yell vs. JB or JD
:smiley:

[quote=“Mer”]I know I certainly don’t miss this from home. I have seen it here too.

We used to force people coming to our parties to swill a few shots before we let them in.

A friend mailed me a bottle from Winnipeg to Vancouver Island for Christmas as a joke one year, but it backfired on him. I brought it back for all to drink on a subsequent visit home. Just foul stuff. The worst. I’m scared to try any other bourbon now as a result.[/quote]

I think you were talking about Wild Turkey here, but the pic’s not showing.
I’ve never tried it, but I just picked up a bottle of it on sale at RTMart.
I hope it’s as good as you say it is. :slight_smile:

Anyone else notice that Knob Creek is available in 7-11 now?
Not sure how much it is, or if it’s all locations or not.

I just bought a bottle of Woodie reserve here and it’s superb. Far and away the best bourbon I ever tasted. Good thing it’s priced a whole dollar cheaper than the cheapest Scotch, which is Johnnie Waalker’s Red Label. Suckers.

Coincidences, coincidences, me too. Remembering flikes post–never forget a bottle, names and faces are another story–I saw a bottle staring me in face at duty-free in Chicago and grabbed it. Stupidly I forgot i would have to pass a security check during transit in Tokyo and couldn’t bring it through. Luckily I had time to pass through immigration and check it in as baggage. Tasted good when I got home :slight_smile:

best bourbon I ever had though was something my brother-in-law gave me a few weeks ago. tall bottle, name started with b, two words. was very nice with water. have to look that up.

edit: it was basil hayden, indeed very light-bodied as opposed to the in your face punch of thw woodford.

nytimes.com/2010/05/05/dining/05white.html

Interesting article on the “white dog”

Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig at jasons, very nice, velvety, vanilla. only $620, i should have grabbed another one.

[quote=“flike”]You know, I can’t remember if any bourbons other than Jim Beam (white) are available in Taiwan.

Anyway, something or other got me looking at bourbons the other day. Since here in middle America we’re in our meteorlogical tweener season – and thus stouts don’t seem right yet but neither do other ales or even lagers – I’m in the market for booze to tide me over until it snows.

So here’s the bourbon that will likely change my drinking habits here on out.

The bottom line: astonishingly delicious (caveat: I rarely drink spirits but when I do it’s straight up, neat and with no ice, ever. Ever!). Holy shit, batman. Un-fucking-believable how cloistered I am sometimes, this bourbon has been available here since at least 2002. Woodford Reserve Kentucky bourbon is an outstanding American beverage, world class, fucking unreal. Vanilla, butter, fruit (pears and apricots), and the alcohol is just right.

:America:
[/quote]

just fyi: 28.99 in trader joes, versus 26.99 for knob creek and 25.99 for makers mark 750ml bottles

these are sure high and mighty prices !!

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/dining/05white.html

Interesting article on the “white dog”[/quote]

Don’t know how I missed this before.
Teeg, you haven’t lived until you’ve enjoyed the 'shine.
During the 80’s (back home) my then-father-in-law was a very busy and well-regarded GP.
As a result, at C’mas time, he was inundated with all manner of home cooked and home made goodies from his patients.
And ONE of his patients had a father up in the hills who was a very enthuiastic “home distiller”, so he always had a bottle, usually a big Crown Royal bottle, full of the 'shine.
It was delightful, the closest I can come to describing it is a velvety smooth corn vodka.
You hear tell about the raunch and kick, this had none of it, it was really really an exquisite snort.