Bourbon whiskey and its renaissance

BuLaEn -
Well, I tell ya, I enjoyed quite a few of the pieces on there.

Especially the Dubonnet piece and the history of drinks (cocktail) stories.
Good site.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]BuLaEn -
Well, I tell ya, I enjoyed quite a few of the pieces on there.

Especially the Dubonnet piece and the history of drinks (cocktail) stories.
Good site.[/quote]

Thanks very much :slight_smile:

Rye is tough, never seen it. The only acceptable replacement has been high rye bourbon- WT 8 year at the store listed earlier (booze meca if you haven’t, been, well worth the trip), or Elijah Craig 12 or 18 at Xiangmutong the big chain shop.

Another option would be whisky.com.tw/ it is a small boutique on LeLi Rd, he specializes in high end scotch, but he does have a small selection of high end bourbon. He had some parkers earlier this year.

Rye is tough, never seen it. The only acceptable replacement has been high rye bourbon- WT 8 year at the store listed earlier (booze meca if you haven’t, been, well worth the trip), or Elijah Craig 12 or 18 at Xiangmutong the big chain shop.

Another option would be whisky.com.tw/ it is a small boutique on LeLi Rd, he specializes in high end scotch, but he does have a small selection of high end bourbon. He had some parkers earlier this year.[/quote]

yeah, I think I might have to go for some higher rye higher proof Bourbon. The Maker’s Mark just doesn’t compare.

I think the shop you refer to, 八條酒庫, is not really a booze mecca, they don’t have much special, EXCEPT for the Bourbons which are very hard to find elsewhere and very reasonably priced in comparison to elsewhere. So Bourbon Mecca, yes.

Bourbon mecca sounds good to me!

I picked up some Wild Turkey 8yo 101-proof in the Japan duty free, and now wondering why I didn’t get a couple more. I may have to look around for some.

Thanks again, Papercut for finding 八條酒庫. I made a post about it:

theboolion.wordpress.com/2012/08 … zehunting/

And you guys were so right about Woodford Reserve. It’s turned me into a Bourbon fan. I made a post about it too:

theboolion.wordpress.com/2012/08 … n-tasting/

i just got me summa that, and it’s not bad at all. Not too pricey either.

Yep!

Actually, I’m enjoying it better with a splash of water to open it up a bit. I’m not normally such a girl, but it does improve.

Woodford Reserve, the divine Bourbon that started this thread:

IN case anyone doesn’t know, it’s back at RT Mart. And it’s on sale!!!

675NT, or something. Stupid price. That’s like half of what it costs elsewhere. Stock up now.

I made a little blog post about it.

In related news, I tasted the Elijah Craig 18-year at Drinks last weekend. That’s another stand-out Bourbon. There’s a real strong streak of fruit flavour there. I’m not quite sure which - peach, pear, citrus even? Exp[ensive though. I can’t remember how much, but I think about 1400-1800NT. The 12-year was much more normal.

Damn! I’m going tomorrow! Hope there’s some left lol

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Woodford Reserve, the divine Bourbon that started this thread:
IN case anyone doesn’t know, it’s back at RT Mart. And it’s on sale!!!
675NT, or something. Stupid price. That’s like half of what it costs elsewhere. Stock up now.
[/quote]

Hot damn! Are you serious? Count me in… if there’s any left. Which RT did you last spot it at btw?

Also have you tried the el-cheapo $320 Rhum Agricole from Carrefour? I like it as a more flavorful alternative to regular rum in mixed drinks. It’s sweeter than the Neissons, but has a nice cane sugar flavor.

I was at Xindian RT Mart on Tuesday, and it wasn’t just a few bottles on he corner of the shelf, there were dozens of boxes on the promotions table in the middle.

As for the cheap Agricole at Carrefour, I tried some in a Daiquiri at the Green Hornet. It seems nice. But the thing is, I like that Neissons so much that I’ll just keep buying that too. The Uirapuru Cachaca I got is quite similar as well, and I’m loving that in Caipirinhas recently. Just real good potent stuff.

Went to the RT in Neihu right beside Costco tonight, and :astonished: Woodford was still thirteen fiddy there!

Strange, I thought… shouldn’t all the RTs in Taipei have the same prices? Apparently not. The redundant RT2 down the street, which has the worse booze selection of the two, had it for $799. Cheap enough for me.

[quote=“Tiger Mountaineer”]Went to the RT in Neihu right beside Costco tonight, and :astonished: Woodford was still thirteen fiddy there!

Strange, I thought… shouldn’t all the RTs in Taipei have the same prices? Apparently not. The redundant RT2 down the street, which has the worse booze selection of the two, had it for $799. Cheap enough for me.[/quote]

That is weird. I just checked my receipt, and it was definitely 675NT at Xindian RT.

I went to both the Zhonglun AND Xindian stores today and didn’t see a thing :cry: Looked on promotion table, behind crates, everywhere morally feasible. Then to top it off I walked to Drinks to assuage my grief with a half-case of Elijah Craig, but they were closing permanently, literally pulling stuff off the shelves to move to a new store. No joy tonight

Oops, I hope you didn’t go to Carrefour.

I wrote ‘Carrefour’ in my second post (but 'RT in the first and third).

Nope, RT! Think they could have made a mistake on the price? Or sold out?

It’s sad but true. Last Tuesday they had dozens. I checked yesterday and there were none.

I wonder one or more liquor stores didn’t bulk buy them for resale.

I asked and they said that they weren’t getting more in either. :frowning: