Bovine blood to clarify wine

French wine producers use bovine blood to clarify wine. The thought horifies me. Is there any way of knowing which wines are clarified in that manner? Also, is France the only country that does it?

Comrade,
try thinking less and drinking more.

Glad to be of service.

This is a great second Post, welcome to Forumosa, Infidel.

Keep up the good work! And… any plans to drop by in the Intern.Politics forum occasionaly?

And I never forget my stay in Commodoro Hotel, Havanna. Never got blamed by the security guards before. For NOT taking a puta (streetgirl) up to my room … :astonished:

[quote=“Rinkals”]French wine producers use bovine blood to clarify wine.[/quote]No they don’t, it’s been illegal throughout the EU since 1997

[quote]The thought horifies me. Is there any way of knowing which wines are clarified in that manner?[/quote]It’s illegal in France, so French wine is safe for one. In 1997 the French authorities seized 70,000 bottles of table wine marked VDQS and 200kg of blood products.[quote]Also, is France the only country that does it?[/quote]I would imagine other countries make it illegal too, I don’t know.

Is AOC (Appellation d’Origine Controlee) a reputable mark to ensure proper standards ? Drink wine made after 1997

Though bovine blood may not be legal for use in wine, something is being used to clarify that wine. And unless you check (try email) with the wine manufacturer or a website like ntlworld 's Vegetarian beer and wine list, that something might be made from animals. As the wine you buy becomes more expensive, the chance of that wine being clarified by something other than a mineral increases. If it’s not bovine blood, it might be a substance made of animal bones and other parts of a bovine’s body (Gelatine). Or it might be made from the swim bladders of fish (isinglass), found in fine wines and also found in many beers.

Are any signs used to indicate that a bottle of wine is vegetarian?