Bowling for Columbine

Bowling for Columbine (Michael Moore’s last film) is in The China Post schedule for Taipei at the Majestic.

Does anybody know if it is showing anywhere in the south-Kaoshiung or Tainan perhaps?

I would love to see it, but my Chinese is bad, so it’s hard for me to figure out if it might be showing down here.

I used to be quite proud to be an American, living in Taiwan and all, until I saw this film. If you’re a Canadian, on the other hand, you will LOVE what Michael Moore has to say about Canada. (There was another foreigner in the show I saw who clapped loudly at the end of the movie; must’ve been a Canadian.) Whatever your nationality, it’s definitely worth watching.

Yes, I watched this with Okami and some South Africans down in Kaohsiung last CNY. I had seen it before (cough, cough, Kazaa), but it was interesting to see their takes on it. The part about Charleton Heston still makes me angry. Excellent film. Too bad it doesn’t count in imdb.com’s top 250. I guess documentaries are too good of a genre to be counted with other types of films.

Some friends of mine saw this and recommended it. Where is Majestic?

It is located in XiMending. Right next to Eslite 106/109 and McDonad take out.
If you take the MRT, it is exist number 4. Their phone number 02-23312270

Hope it helps since I don’t really know the exact address. But you can def. see it once you exist the MRT and there is a big opening area in front if it.

Spoilers :!:

It makes me angry too, but one scene seemed to be staged. Remember when Moore chased after Heston when Heston walked out of the interview, Moore was trying to hand him a picture of the girl who was killed? By the way it was filmed, you’d think there were two cameras, one following Heston, another one training on Moore. But when the shot was cut back to Heston, there was no camera there. So Moore must have shot the pleading scene afterwards, and spliced it in to make it seem like it was done in real time. Kinda like that scene in Broadcast News when the William Hurt character spliced in the shot with him tearing up “during” the interview.

[quote=“Incubus”]Spoilers :!:

It makes me angry too, but one scene seemed to be staged. Remember when Moore chased after Heston when Heston walked out of the interview, Moore was trying to hand him a picture of the girl who was killed? By the way it was filmed, you’d think there were two cameras, one following Heston, another one training on Moore. But when the shot was cut back to Heston, there was no camera there. So Moore must have shot the pleading scene afterwards, and spliced it in to make it seem like it was done in real time. Kinda like that scene in Broadcast News when the William Hurt character spliced in the shot with him tearing up “during” the interview.[/quote]

Pretty quick on the uptake there Inky…well done.

As a Canadian, I definitely chortled with smug satisfaction as what I have been saying for years finally began to resonate within that mass of ears south of the 49th.

Because we have no guns, we make good neighbours (with each other, not with the Americans). But what Moore missed was that Canada is not immune to these despicable gun crimes. Marc Lepine’s savage slaughter of 14 innocent women in Montreal in 1989 leaps to mind. But what may interest others is that mere weeks after Columbine, a copycat incident happened in Taber, Alberta. I think 2 were killed.

Canada came off smelling like roses in this film, but we have plenty of GSR-stained linen in our Canuckian closets as well.

Which Vonnegut book was it where all the guns had been melted into a giant bell. I like that idea.

Then again, the devil’s advocate in me should step up and say that guns kill lotsa people and if the planet is to survive, we need to thin the herd…so…are guns not ultimately helping the planet?

aren’t documentries suppose to be non fiction… the movie was interesting sure… and he has some alright ideas… but please… a lot of the canadian points were exagerated… its too bad he doesn’t show both shades of grey, then I could take him more seriously… but he knows what he is doing… like he even said it himself… in roger and me people were more upset about the scene of the lady killing hte rabbit as opposed to a man getting murdered… thats what I love about Taiwan… its not a Human Rights haven…

:!: Potential Spoiler :?:

It’s not the scene, but what he said. It’s a documentary so I am not sure how there could be spoilers since there’s no story plot or twists, but I will not reveal what he said that pissed me off although anyone who sees it and isn’t a racist will know just what part I am talking about.

It’s not a documentary as such, or if it’s a not-so-well researched one. Take it as entertainment and not as a serious or informative show, it’s funny and thought-provoking but nothing more. IMHO.

"Because we have no guns, we make good neighbours "

i think you completely missed moore’s point. he uses the fact that canada has a crapload of guns(7 million amongst 10 million homes i believe is what he said in the film) to show that it’s not the presence of guns by themselves that cause the high rate of gun violence. then again, he seems to contradict himself on the gun thing so who knows…

[quote=“Flipper”]"Because we have no guns, we make good neighbours "

I think you completely missed moore’s point. he uses the fact that Canada has a crapload of guns(7 million amongst 10 million homes I believe is what he said in the film) to show that it’s not the presence of guns by themselves that cause the high rate of gun violence. then again, he seems to contradict himself on the gun thing so who knows…[/quote]

How nice of you to not attribute the quote to me. Sweet really… :laughing:

Maybe it was simply an oversight, but Flipster, you’ve been around long enough to know how to quote. :wink: Don’t worry…I’ll back up my words.

I did miss that point to be sure. A furtherance of my point would be to question that out of those 7 million guns, how many are handguns?

And how many Americans are killed by hunting rifles? I would say that of those 7 million, most are hunting rifles.

Most homes in Canada that would have guns would have 4 or 5 at least. this brings that statistic more into alignment too I believe.

Our first reaction of someone on our property is to see if they need help with something. We’ll then invite them in for a cold Blue and a period or two of the hockey game. It’s not to get off a warning shot smug in the satisfaction that the law of your land gives you the right to shoot the girl guide selling cookies.

Something I really liked about what Moore did do with the stats was to compare murders by GSWs in our various countries. That stat alone I have been trying to get people to realize for many years. I may even have said something here at Forumosa in one of the “Why Canadians are Different from Americans” threads along those very lines. Who can be sure…I talk so much I can’t remember half the things I say.

Moore’s point is that what the US has that other nations do not, besides a constitutional right to bear arms, is a culture of
FEAR
and
terror
. Local TV and radio news is chock full of stories about what will kill you. People are scared of everything. Americans are jumpy and always on guard. They’re getting fear fatigue and it has become second nature – subconscious. Moore intelligently shows that this subconscious level explodes in surprisingly overt ways. On the day of the US’ greatest bombing campaign there was a major killing at in Columbine High School. Many of the bombs dropped that day were produced in Columbine. There is no clear connection, but somehow you get a sense that mommy and daddy come home after making bombs and somehow it fills the psyche of the entire town exploding into violence close to home.
He does not draw close connections, but the implications are all there that the US murder rate to guns is so high because of this irrational fear combined with the “From my cold dead hands” defense of the 2nd Amendment. The only thing keeping the afraid country from complete anarchy perhaps is the unbelieveably high incarceration rate. Number one after China, which is a distant second.

[quote=“Quirky”]Moore’s point is that what the US has that other nations do not, besides a constitutional right to bear arms, is a culture of
FEAR
and
terror
. Local TV and radio news is chock full of stories about what will kill you. [/quote]

Gosh, Quirky, you haven’t read “The Culture of Fear: Why Americans Are Afraid of the Wrong Things” have you? I haven’t seen Bowling yet, but it sounds like it is a worthwhile film indeed.

sorry, michael moore doesn’t make documentaries. he makes films to earn profits. do a goole search on “facts moore me and mike” and see what churns up.

“roger and me” was an earlier film of his that riled up alot of sentiment in the pre-internet era. everything was good until some checked the facts…the michael dropped into a limbaughesque defense of disclaiming having any responsibilty of portraying the truth and that he is just an entertainer.

how did he get access to heston? oh, moore is a lifelong member of the NRA.
but if guns are so bad…why doesn’t he renounce his membership?

canada, sweet, innocent canada: 7 million guns for 10 million households.

there is a quote over on eslcafe that cracks me up and is entirely applicable to mr. moore’s M.O. : “an ounce of emotion outweighs a ton of facts”.
yes, america is bent. following moore isn’t the answer.

best wishes.

like i said, you are missing moore’s twisted argument. moore was arguing that american culture causes violent crime, not the number of guns out there. why are you replying as if you’re debunking my statistics? i didn’t use the “7 million” stat to show that a country can have lots of guns but be safe, MOORE did. and yet in the end you praise moore for his artful use of statistics. go figure…