Boxer fans

do normal bimmer boxers corner like this contraption?

flugge.com/f_htmls/race32-1.html

boxer engine…rs250 frame… :smiling_imp:

I think that is a normal bimmer, just with some RS250 bodywork attached. Plasmatron can probably confirm that’s a BMW chassis.

well, its definitely a bmw powerplant including rear direct drive, but the forks are not ‘telelever’ from what i can see, and the main frame looks way too narrow to be bmw oem

it’s a Frakenstein type of hybrid from what I can make out… It’s definitely an R series 1100 or 1150 boxer engine…

the forks are standard Telelever, but with an aftermarket shock, you can see that quite clearly in this pic…

it’s the frame assembly he’s working on in this pic, that doesn’t look like anything I’ve seen before on a BMW… on boxer’s the engine is a stressed member ie. it makes up a structural element of the “frame” the telelever wish bone pivots off the engine block and they mount a sub frame assembly on the back that serves as the anchor point for the paralever monoshock…

but this looks like the rear frame section from a small sportsbike that they’ve somehow bolted to the BMW frame assembly and then built a custom looking sub frame, although it may be nicked from the RS125 they are talking about…

it is a fair mix of parts, the gas tank is from a Yamaha TZ250, the fairings are from a Honda RS250 and tail plastics and seat cowl are from a Honda RS125… I wonder why they didn’t race it with the fairings on?

all in all looks like a very cool project, but gawd knows why they’d want to go to such lengths to use a heavy, low revving, flat twin as the power plant for a race bike… although I suppose if you can limit the overall weight as much as possible, using the boxer engine you may be able to get some advantage by having no water cooling system, no pumps, no radiator etc. plus it’s a simple / easy engine to work on, re-bore, re carb etc. and if it’s a stop start technical kind of track where it’s all about torque and pull out of corners, it could be a winning design… but more likely there’s just some boxer based racing series in Japan… Japan is cool :smiley:

^^^ From the other pages it does seem like they have a boxer series. At first I thought it might be some sort of BOTT thing, but then there’s no way this would compete against the ducks…
From a design stance I have to wonder why they left the seat position so high, given the opportunity to change it. Bike looks strangely tall somehow…

yep, does seem high doesn’t it… probably since they had to mount the engine so damn high to avoid clearance issues and stop the cylinder head covers from decking out in corners…

← smacks forehead :doh:

They’re using the stock front fork and lever. The lever is mounted on the crankcases. Of course the engine height is therefore constrained by the link geometry…