Boxing not MMA

Interesting conversation Rogan has with Teddy Atlas. Atlas was an assistant to Cus D’Amato at the latter’s Catskill training camp in the early 80’s. He was fired by D’Amato when their latest protege, Mike Tyson, played grab-ass with one of Atlas’s 11-yr old nieces, for which Atlas stuck a gun in Tyson’s ear and told him he’d kill him if he did it again. D’Amato banned him from his camp and his house for life as a result.

Atlas has a very interesting p.o.v. on Tyson’s career in the podcast (which runs more than 3 hours). Hiding between walls as a little boy (to avoid bullies) and Atlas’s theory of the effect it had on Tyson, and why Tyson should be considered an 0-6 fighter, not 50-6-2. Atlas says the Tyson was so physically gifted that his 50 wins don’t count since he was never tested in them, and only “tests” count, and that’s why he is “really” 0-6. I don’t agree, but Atlas has undeniably interesting opinions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEwq64YTSO8

1 Like

Thanks, I haven’t listened to this, but this article probably presents the argument better that Teddy did…

That said, I love watching Tyson in his prime and thought he had a lot more skill than many give him credit for.

1 Like

Excellent podcast. One of the best JRE

I got a little choked up as he talked about his passion and care for “his kids”. Love hearing these old fight guys talk.

1 Like

I watched quite a few K1 fights on TV back in the days, or Youtube now, but never watched anything like the end of the 2nd round here (fight starts @ 7:20).
https://youtu.be/YqpsOv2AAfc?t=438

Mark Hunt, what a warrior.

Anybody else following US middleweight Nikita “White Chocolate” Ababiy’s career?

Based in Brooklyn. Father was a prizefighter in Russia. 7-0 after this fight earlier this month. The quickest, most vicious left hook I’ve seen in a long, long time. A very talented and supremely punishing boxer. Probably just a bout or two away from a main event somewhere. I believe he’s only 19yo. (scratch that, he turns 21 in two days)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aohYHr34E0

The black guy went down like a sack of potatoes. :joy:
‘remember , go down in one’
He got hit with one decent right to the body and one right to the chin.
He will need some stiffer competition than that.

1 Like

I think the right hook to the body, followed by a quick left to the liver, did most of the damage. The straight right to the head like five seconds later was just the last straw.

You should look up some of his earlier fights.

I will, that fight looked like 'go down in one ’ jobbie though. I’ve looked and looked and I didn’t even see one contact from the left . He just falls down and lays on his back :grin:
In the first round ? Come on :sunglasses:.

PS what’s the weird dance about !

1 Like

By the third round they were both wishing they’d followed more regular career choices and waiting for the fight to finish :sunglasses:.

1 Like

BKB is the future.

Not exactly sure, there’s almost no public information about this guy. He’s had at least one fight already in UK, possibly at his father’s encouragement.

I think the ring guys in the video remark that Ababiy is a terrible dancer (I believe it), and the weird dance is just his way of saying he won’t let it get in the way of having a good time.

Not sure which weight class he’ll end up in. He’s probably not going to be a middleweight much longer.

He reminds me of Tommy Morrison.

That’s not a good thing is it . :grinning:

1 Like

As long as he doesn’t party as hard as Tommy did.

1 Like

That second round though :dizzy_face:

Highlights from the Ruiz Joshua fight:

Did Tommy pass away from HIV ?

Not according to Tommy. He denied it to the end.

1 Like

I read a story about Morrison’s life. The small town he was from used to have a sign on the road approaching it which said something along the lines of “Welcome to Jay. Home of Tommy The Duke Morrison.” But when he was diagnosed HIV positive they removed the “Home of Tommy The Duke Morrison” bit. He then got a gun and shot the sign up.

He was quite the character. If he’d smoked less weed, shagged fewer women, and trained properly he could have been outstanding with the left hook of his. As it was, he was only good for 3 or 4 rounds.