Boycott 85°C?

Can a company like this actually survive when they are based in Taiwan? I would never drink their garbage anyways, just another reason not to.

1 Like

Sounds like comments on weibo = “pressure from Beijing”

1 Like

how can they expect other company’s not to kowtow when taiwanese company’s like this and stars(there was some pop star recently pressured to suck up to china) are now kowtowing like complete bitches?

have some balls. if chinese want to start getting butthurt over these things they have a lot to draw from, they could say that every taiwanese company was in support of independence and it would probably be true. this could go on for a long time. if you want to do business in china then just weather the storm until the govt picks a new target for deflection out of usa, korea and japan.

personally i wont be going to 85c anymore. or in the past. yea i don’t go there anyway but now i have a reason not to.

I haven’t gone there in years, but that’s because their coffee and pastries are crap. Now I’ll be even more not going there.

4 Likes

Never liked 85度。 For my money, Donutes is the best, although pricey. I boycott Starbucks for overcharging and being, well, Starbucks.

1 Like

I actually like some of their light roast whole beans, but the coffee they sell in their stores tastes like armpits. Never tried Donutes. I’ll have to give it a whirl.

I’m not a real connoisseur, but the price gouging is ridiculous. 100+ for a sandwich. I’ve never paid myself for Starbucks, but gladly received coffee or food as gifts (from MOE budget – bad – and students – worse). It’s tasty, but a guilty pleasure.

1 Like

Give Donutes a try and please let me know what you think. I’d really appreciate your 肯定, if you please. My “go to” drink is freshly brewed 阿里山烏龍茶(無糖、去冰). If they get that wrong, I’ll never return.

Not in Taiwan at the moment, but I’ll give it a try when I return in September.

I’ll look forward to that. I expect you’ll try a milk tea based on your signature. Unless you prefer otherwise, 無糖,去冰 is the best test.

Companies like this should be forced to reorganize their taiwan operations into a separate company. Say 86C ?

Maybe its time to force airlines who kowtow to big bad china to also use a different name.

Back to KLM Asia, etc.

Taiwan companies who kowtow to China should be punished.
They must be a separate company in Taiwan.

They can do this, its all paperwork reshuffling.

But its a good slap across the behind.

1 Like

How about 58度 with 金門高粱 as a key ingredient. 哈哈哈哈

I never get starbucks coffee or anything else. But their fraps are delicious. That’s probably my one treat I will give myself. It’s like 500 calories or something but whatever, yolo

If the comment is still there when you look a day later, then it’s Beijing.

1 Like

Not sure how many stores 85C has in Taiwan, but they have about 600 stores in China, so business is business.

1 Like

And lost business is lost business.

1 Like

I used to frequent 85C when I first arrived here out of novelty. I thought it was cool and new for me coming from US. Now I don’t even go near its proximity. My new go-to coffee and sandwich joint is Louisa as it popped up very close to my house.

1 Like

Tsai Ing-wen stopped off at a Los Angeles branch of the 85C Bakery Cafe this week during a US stopover in which she became the first Taiwanese leader to give a public speech on American soil in 15 years.

Tsai is in America? That was news to me, I guess I would have missed it if the Chinese hadn’t kicked up a stink over 85C.

Nothing against the store itself, the coffee for me is weak, but then I prefer a strong brew, sometimes will pick up a cake or two and their french bread is ok (value for money, not some artisan creation).

I will never go to 85C because of this. Before I was curious to try. Now I am sure. Lost one potential family of customers.

1 Like