Boycott 85°C?

Just a quick stop on her way to visit the allies in “Central South America.”

1 Like

I really couldn’t care less about politics when I am choosing a brand to buy from.

In this case I don’t blame companies for kowtowing to China since China is a large market they stand to lose

They can afford to shed a few clients in Taiwan if it means accessing the broader Chinese market.
The airlines and coffee shops would rather lose the entire Taiwan market if they had to pick one. Business is business.

1 Like

The news were ermarking that while KFC took nearly 10 years to reach 100 stores in China, 85C did it in 3.

Problem is when you do business with a dictatorship, you gotta know they will pull the strings anytime. They have done that with enterprises from all over the world. With Taiwan is double whammy. Making them do a statement about 92 consensus is beyond ridiculous and disgusting. And petty considering the trigger.

The company itself was a big hit her with investors, which is already a red flag, before they went to China. Their stuff is unremarkable, mainly is a McD operation selling fake stuff for cheap.

1 Like

Like the current Saudi Arabia vs Canada dispute? Loads of Western countries do loads of business with so-called “dictatorships” and smiling all the way to the bank.

1 Like

…until the rug is pulled under their feet. Eventually, sometime, it will happen.

I think it’s kinda funny that they’re going to be boycotted because of a boycott.

I’m just waiting for a CEO to send out a press release more like this:

Dear Chinese People with too much time on your hands:

We are a coffee company. What we do is make and sell coffee. Some people don’t like our coffee and therefore don’t buy our products. You are at liberty to do the same, even if, being Chinese, you do not fully understand the concept of “liberty”. Other people do like our coffee and they buy our products, so please don’t take out your frustrations on them.

To be clear: we have no interest in who runs which landmass, as long as we can get on with the business of selling coffee. If you believe that, by selling coffee, we are somehow responsible for the political landscape in China or anywhere else, nothing we can say will help with that, and we would gently suggest some psychiatric counselling. Incidentally, the Americans probably did land on the moon, and nobody has supressed the water-fuelled car.

Now, if you’ll excuse us, we have some coffee to brew.

Ain’t going to happen, of course.

4 Likes

I’d prefer ‘Donudes’ … thank you!

It was that or meeting Trump, she choose 85C :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

That letter would hurt the feelings of 1.4 billion Chinese people. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Well … point is, it seems to me that their feelings will get hurt whatever you do. There is no way to appease a spoiled child with a whole casebook of personality disorders. 85C would be best off just accepting that they’ve lost the Chinese market (if that is what’s happened - I suspect they’ll forget all about it next week), sell their assets for whatever they’re worth, and scrape the mud off their feet as they leave. As indeed many Western companies have done.

3 Likes

Trump is busy unfriending people from his “trusted” Facebook group.

1 Like

Then the Chinese take over copying the business model…as was intended from the beginning. Win win.

Isn’t it great to play victim?

1 Like

FamilyMart coffee over 85c any day

1 Like

I still remember the early 85C days. Guy went broke before he got the idea starting 85C with ‘hand made’ cakes and tarts. Famous pastry chefs making pastries by hand,
Now it’s far from all that.

1 Like

Yup. You’d think people would have learned that lesson by now, and just stay away to begin with.

Greed always outweighs common sense. 1.3 billion consumers! $$$! Except … no, doesn’t work that way. Not in China.

2 Likes

Weibo is like mainland China’s 4chan.

I went to the 85 around the block the other day. Was not impressed by their coffee. Boycotting them will hurt the franchisees first, right? What did they do wrong?

Worst coffee here, superheated, expensive . Stale bread, tables full of smokers . No thanks.

4 Likes

Overrated!

It’s situation where one coward threatens other coward. No one has b**ls to do anything except talking. If Chinese want Taiwan then take your army and come over here. If Taiwanese want independence then declare it and show them middle finger. But that’s how we solve things in west… So many Taiwanese companies, actors, musicians apologize Chinese because they consider themselves Taiwanese. They love money more then anything. If money is in front of everything then Taiwan will never get its independence