Boycott 85°C?

That, sir, earns you the three owl award :owl::owl::owl: for quote of the day.

5 Likes

Bowls?

I remember they were the “it” place years ago. I had my first cup of sea salt coffee at an 85C shop, and it was good! I actually got into the habit of drinking it, but over the years many of their stores (in Taipei) closed. Now I go to Cama and Louisa for my caffeine fix.

It would have had a better effect if they had kept their cool and not do anything after Tsai’s visit. And when all the Chinese netizens come out and attack them, they would’ve been preceived as the victim, who got Tsai’s kiss of death. They would’ve got the public’s sympathy rather than distain.

2 Likes

Meanwhile

1 Like

But the Four Points by Sheraton in Zhonghe, a district of the capital Taipei…

“Zhonghe” is not a district of the capital Taipei, it is 中和 district in New Taipei City and should be spelled Chungho, but hey what do you expect from HK press on Taiwan.

1 Like

I hope we’re not going to boycott Hanyu Pinyin. It’s about the only Chinese standard that’s objectively better than the competing alternatives.

2 Likes

Come embrace the greatness of BoPoMoFo

With 600 stores in China their hands are effectively tied.

1 Like

It’s Zhonghe. We’ll give you Taitung, that’s a legacy spelling. But not Chungho.

3 Likes

Chungho long time before you came here. Zhonghe is pinyin, commie talk. ha ha

you’ve tasted armpits before?! :astonished:

When I came here it was known as Chiron. :bowing:

ghost month hasn’t started yet. Go back inside your gate to…

and what about the home market? kowtowing will do nothing. dealing with china is a ‘when you think you have the answers, they change the questions’ scenario. you can’t win. they did this over the president visiting a taiwanese company. something she does every single day. you can’t win these battles, its insanity. and now 85c have been removed from chinese apps. good luck with that one.

100% true. 85c is not the first company to face the deflective flak of china and it wont be the last.

They will back off once the company backs off. Case in point Korea. They basically boycotted all Korean stores until the THADD plan was tempered. Now the boycott is off.
The biggest loser? Lotte pretty much had to shut down in the end.

As a business, they care about profits, not political squabbles.

Has anybody read that the 85C app, the one people use to order coffee in China, suddenly disappeared? Or that the Mainland authorities raided their stores to check for cleanliness and sanitation, and only them were found substandard? And that the pictures of such raid were the only ones,released to the press?

Curiouser and curiouser.

could potenially happy to 85c aswell http://shanghaiist.com/2018/08/16/taiwan-coffee-chain-85c-disappears-from-all-major-chinese-food-apps/ and this is with the kowtowing. its a waste of time. all you can do is weather the storm, also losing business in your home market isn’t a good move.
and if you are an outsider doing business in china you can’t avoid the politics, its going to effect everyone.

2 Likes

That is what I was saying. They said it on the news and I could not believe it. Too low. So this happened before or after the kowtowing?

As to who can bend lower, a certain tv channel I won’t mention is now blaming Tsai for endangering the jobs of thousands of workers, and tens of thousands of people who depend on those jobs. Bad government, bad Tsai for wanting to drink coffee, she destroyed a business. Bad DPP government!

God this story is going from bad to ridicurous… and people here getting upset with a coffee shop too.

I thought Shanghaiist was no more?

1 Like