Boycott Beijing 2008

[quote=“ac_dropout”]You guys are selfish and probably never trained to be an international athlete. You think some ROC athlete should waste their life over your political idealogy.

I assure you most athletes would tell you to go screw yourself and the ban you are proposing. Not to mention the 4 million ROC tourist that go to the PRC every year would not be sympathetic to your cause.[/quote]

You can’t say that about everyone on here. I DID train to be an international calibre athlete and was until a knee injury ended my soccer career. I would NOT participate in these games were I still in my prime with a chance to compete. You should be careful about the generalizations you make.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]You think international athletes usually care about the “country” they represent. At the elite levels it is like free agents swapping citizenship for the chance to compete.

[/quote]

Not true, in soccer at least, once you represent your country at the international “A” level, you can never represent another.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]
Don’t send any ROC athletes to Beijing and it will really be a “out of sight out of mind” situation. The world won’t even blink that Taiwan didn’t go. It not like most people can find Taiwan on a map anyways.[/quote]

We are talking about sending Taiwanese athletes to the country that makes more use of international sports as a political device than any other. In fact, China doesn’t even use the official moniker of Chinese Taipei anymore to refer to Taiwan. They have unilaterally changed it to Taipei, China 中國臺北. They are the most shameless bunch of pigs on the face of this earth.

Another reason not to go is the dirty air. It isn’t getting better, it is getting WORSE. I don’t see how there is any way that it will be suitable for top-level competitors. I couldn’t imagine playing a ninty-minute soccer match or run a marathon through that muck!

ludahai,

ROC doesn’t have a chance to medal in soccor. TKD is an indoor sport which is an individual sport.

Let’s say you were still a soccer player of international calibur, and one day your teammate decides to protest a game due to personal political views, would you side with him and protest an international competition. Let’s say it wasn’t the PRC but the USA your teammate was protesting for the war in Iraq and Gitmo. You would throw away your training to take up a political protest that you might not exactly agree with?

I have to disagree with you on this Ludahai, but only on this point.

I wholeheartedly support the 2008 Olympics. Many totalitarian governments have fell shortly after hosting the Olympics. As I’ve said before, like Nazi Germany, Soviet Russia, etc etc… they just couldn’t put up a pretty face under such scrutiny. I’m sure the Tibetans are OVERJOYED at the 5th little Friendlies invented by China. The thought that their entire history is about to be altered by the Chicomms have already angered many Tibetan groups in the USA as well as India.

It just puts the spotlight on China’s problems. Like the UAE, people tend to have a great opinion of them until they discover the many problems abound in the nation once it makes the news. That can’t be better highlighted than the Olympics. Finally a reason to care about Taiwan.

Let China bully us as much as they want, much to AC Dropout’s amusement. Everyone will recognize the Chicoms for the punks that they are.

The CCP will definitely find a way to screw up the Olympic. Hopefully a bomb will be planted like the Atlanta games. Or maybe some TI supporters can hijack a satelite link like the FLG peope do all the time. Or maybe a crack commando group of TI supporters will put on mask and take hostages at the games like those Islamic fundimentalist.

While you guys plot TI via the Olympic venue…the rest of ROC citizens will be enjoying Beijing and cheering on our athletes, especially in TKD.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]The CCP will definitely find a way to screw up the Olympic. Hopefully a bomb will be planted like the Atlanta games. Or maybe some TI supporters can hijack a satelite link like the FLG peope do all the time. Or maybe a crack commando group of TI supporters will put on mask and take hostages at the games like those Islamic fundimentalist.

While you guys plot TI via the Olympic venue…the rest of ROC citizens will be enjoying Beijing and cheering on our athletes, especially in TKD.[/quote]

Chinese Taipei!

clap
clap

clap
clap
clap

Chinese Taipei!

clap
clap

clap
clap
clap

The chant goes

Chinese Taipei Jia You!

clap
clap

clap
clap
clap

Chinese Taipei Jia You!

clap
clap

clap
clap
clap

Now go practice it for the next 4 years. If I hear you in the crowd screwing up the chant I’m going to throw a beer can at you. :laughing:

I bet it won’t be this beer-can

That post gets the gold medal for the biggest load of bullshit. Don’t use such disingenious arguments.

Those regimes did not fall because of public scrutiny vis-a-vis the Olympics.

The USSR fell after its economy collapsed under the weight of a fifty-odd year arms race.

And Nazi Germany fell only after a six-year long war in which some fifty million people were killed, leaving much of the world a heap of smoking rubble.

Only the premium stuff at the Olympics.

But actually I’ve been doing some research on the various types of beer on the Mainland.

I’m definitely going to check out these fruit flavor ones. I wonder if their anything like Belgium beer. yum

That post gets the gold medal for the biggest load of bullshit. Don’t use such disingenious arguments.

The USSR fell after its economy collapsed under the weight of a fifty-odd year arms race.

And Nazi Germany fell only after a six-year long war in which some fifty million people were killed, leaving much of the world a heap of smoking rubble.[/quote]

People like shrimpcrack could not care less about what goes on with the Olympics in Beijing. Anything remotely China related, political or not is twisted in a way to push the TI agenda. Nothing is off limits for them.

And Nazi Germany fell only after a six-year long war in which some fifty million people were killed, leaving much of the world a heap of smoking rubble.[/quote]

Disingenuity goes hand in hand with AC.

It’s not so much about ISOLATING China …it’s more about BOYCOTTING THE GAMES as a statement of principle, a stand against that dictatorship. China will never be isolated. China is going to be rich.

But wouldn’t be nice to see the free world take a principled stand on this?

Could you elaborate a bit on this personal attack. I think my post are consistent with my personal political views on the Strait Issue for the past 2 years.

[quote=“Cola”]
It’s not so much about ISOLATING China …it’s more about BOYCOTTING THE GAMES as a statement of principle, a stand against that dictatorship. China will never be isolated. China is going to be rich.

But wouldn’t be nice to see the free world take a principled stand on this?[/quote]
There’ve been plenty of principled stands in the past.

The '76 Montreal Olympics were boycotted by African nations.
The '80 Moscow Olympics were boycotted by the West.
The '84 Los Angeles Olympics were boycotted by the Communist East.

And I assume you’d also argue the world should’ve also boycotted the '88 Olympics in Seoul (still under dictatorship). And we all know how those principled stands really made the world a better place.

Yes but in 1980 Canada suffered the humilating referrendum for an independent Quebec. In 1992, LA suffered from race riots. And lastly by 1992, the USSR was officially over.

So as you can see boycotting the Olympic made the world a better place 2 out 3 times.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]ludahai,

ROC doesn’t have a chance to medal in soccor. TKD is an indoor sport which is an individual sport.

Let’s say you were still a soccer player of international calibur, and one day your teammate decides to protest a game due to personal political views, would you side with him and protest an international competition. Let’s say it wasn’t the PRC but the USA your teammate was protesting for the war in Iraq and Gitmo. You would throw away your training to take up a political protest that you might not exactly agree with?[/quote]

If he felt the need to protest, I would respect his right to do so. If the team still went, I would travel with the team. In fact, this DID once come up when I was playing at the junior level when we had a match against then authoritarian Nigeria and one of the members of the team was Nigerian-born. He didn’t play in protest.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]The CCP will definitely find a way to screw up the Olympic. Hopefully a bomb will be planted like the Atlanta games. Or maybe some TI supporters can hijack a satelite link like the FLG peope do all the time. Or maybe a crack commando group of TI supporters will put on mask and take hostages at the games like those Islamic fundimentalist.

While you guys plot TI via the Olympic venue…the rest of ROC citizens will be enjoying Beijing and cheering on our athletes, especially in TKD.[/quote]

Don’t wish for a bomb or anything like that. I was in the Olympic Park in 1996 when the bomb went off chatting with a couple of friends of mine on the US Olympic soccer team. It was scary as hell.

[quote=“ludahai”][quote=“ac_dropout”]ludahai,

Let’s say you were still a soccer player of international calibur, and one day your teammate decides to protest a game due to personal political views, would you side with him and protest an international competition. Let’s say it wasn’t the PRC but the USA your teammate was protesting for the war in Iraq and Gitmo. You would throw away your training to take up a political protest that you might not exactly agree with?[/quote]

If he felt the need to protest, I would respect his right to do so. If the team still went, I would travel with the team. In fact, this DID once come up when I was playing at the junior level when we had a match against then authoritarian Nigeria and one of the members of the team was Nigerian-born. He didn’t play in protest.[/quote]

That’s my point. That individual protested and it did not effect you. His personal view and actions for the most part did not limit your experience. Perhaps reduced your chances at a medal, if he was a key player, or maybe increase your personal playing time if you shared the same spot.

However, if ROC boycotts the game, all ROC athletes would be bar, no matter what that individual althete’s personal belief on the Strait Issue maybe. Which is why this boycott would be unfair to the Olympians on Taiwan. Their personal politics are as varied as Taiwan’s general populace. No need to make them all suffer for the veiws of a few.