Boycott Qingdao (TsingTao) Beer

HOBART: I like your idea. yes, a Tsingtao Beer Party, let’s do it! In the road! EVerywhere! I will never drink that stuff again…

How about a Qingdao Beer party where we drink the beer first and then symbolically smash the bottles? That would be more fun.

Anyway, seems like your idea caught on Maoman. What I thought was pretty stupid about the Chinese government’s ‘reason’ for not allowing Taiwan Pijiu is that they said they don’t allow beer named after places. Am I wrong in what I always thought Qingdao meant?

Brian

My Taiwanese friends does not see the point of boycotting the Tsingtao beer, and even if I insist to have my Taiwan Draft, they keep on pushing the Chinese stuff. I have to admit I tried it once, but will not drink it again, unless it is the only beer available. I should probably change friends…

Hottala!

Boycott of Chinese beers promoted

[b]Protesters dump Qindao Beer in front of the Legislative Yuan to voice
their disapproval of China’s rejection of Taiwan Beer’s application for
sale unless the brand changes its name to “TTL Beer”.

Photo: Chang Yingying, Taipei Times
[/b]

I’ve been boycotting Tsingtao Beer for about 7 years now. Mostly just 'cause the stuff tastes fucking terrible.

Here’s a question - if the Chinese government wants Taiwan Beer to change it’s name in English to TTL Beer, what would that make the Chinese name? And since TTL expands to “Taiwan Tobacco and Liquor”, wouldn’t the abbreviated Chinese name still be Tai-pi either way?

I drink Tsingtao. There are two different kinds here. One is sweeter. The labels are different.
I don’t think boycotting does anything.
A friend some time ago never drank Ceres fruit juice here because it came from South Africa during the apartheid era.
But it is a free country; don’t accept disposable chopsticks since they have to kill bamboo trees to make them, if you want.

Do you realise that China refuses to import Taiwan beer because it is named after a province of China?. Go ahead and boycot any beer from China, give Cottingham and co. more business.

Bought a few cans of Tsingdao at the supermarket earlier today and was actually drinking one when I read the artcile in today’s newspaper about it. I’ll be boycotting the stuff from now on. As an interesting aside, my Taiwanese drinking buddies hate to drink the stuff - they claim that after about 6-7 bottles of Tsingdao they feel too bloated to drink anymore - yet with Taiwan Beer they can continue drinking as much as they like. I wonder if this is just psychological or it is actually something to the amount of gas in different types of beer.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]
Think of it this way. If the US pointed more and more missiles at you even though you were a peaceful country, threatened you with invasion even though you posed no threat to their security, stifled your international efforts to join the community of nations, started persecuting and imprisoning religious leaders of all faiths on its own soil, imposed draconian population controls on its own citizens, including forced abortions, persisted in governing through a dictatorship that was unresponsive to its own people, would America not be a logical target for a boycott? Why should China get off so easy?[/quote]

Did anyone boycott the U.S. when thw World Court found it guilty of terrorism against Nicaragua?

“CHOMSKY: Well, for example, the United States happens to be
the only state in the world that has been condemned by the
World Court for international terrorism, would have been
condemned by the Security Council, except that it vetoed the
resolution. This referred to the U.S. terrorist war against
Nicaragua, the court ordered the United States to desist and
pay reparations. The U.S. responded by immediately
escalating the crimes, including first official orders to
attack what are called soft targets – undefended civilian
targets. This is massive terrorism. It is by no means the
worst, and it continues right to the present, so for
example…”

Back to the point - I’m with Maoman. Like Taiwan “Shen” Pi-jo. Hate QingTsao

My roommate loves the stuff and it is I must admit well priced next to Taiwan Beer, although after having read this I think I too will boycott TSINGTAO. The thing is I hate Taiwan beer I think it tastes like shit. So I will have to find another brand. Thus I say “I think I am turning Japanese” I have found a particularly good brew in ASAHI. I very like, to say the least. The other thing is the price point for me, and besides that Japanese are pretty good at making a lot of things and ASAHI is one of them. I’m surprised more foreigners don’t drink it. I am willing to go as far as to say that it is better that MOLSON DRY or even a good ol’ pint of CREEMORE. I know none of these are very dry beers but ASAHI really is quite good, especially the one’s that come in the silver cans.

Stare

Boycotting Qingdao does not mean you must drink Taiwan Beer. However, I recommend the Taiwan Gold Medal Beer. Much better than the Blue and white cans. Also try the Taiwan Draft beer with the two week expiration date stamped on the bottle cap. That is not bad, but the Taiwan Gold Medal Beer is actually quite good.

(Hey where the heck are those auto-pinyinizers when you really need them. Why haven’t you been autopinyinizing Tsingdao?)

Oh my God, I remember that. When I was studying Chinese there was this old American couple that would give anyone caught with Ceres a hard time. All those Americans in Taiwan who refused to drink Ceres brought that company to its knees, I tell you.

The only reason boycotts fail is because people are too cynical to make them work. People say they won’t work so they don’t work. Give me a good reason to boycott and I will do it.

Taiwan should boycott a product that is basically owned by an american company. A strange situation…

I’m not sure. I want to know if others have oticed this.

When Tsingtao first came to Taiwan I started drinking the cans a lot because I liked the taste. (Hard to believe?)

Last year in the spring I started getting vertigo feelings nearly all the time. I thought it was due to medications I was taking because I was suffering a very bad extended bout of bronchitis. But without stopping those meds, by chance I stopped drinking TsingTao for a while and my vertigo dissappeared within a few days. I didn’t mke a connection just then, but when I started drinking TsingTao again a couple weeks later my vertigo came back. Then I made the connection and stopped again. A few days later I tried TsingTao one more time. Same thing. So then I stopped altogether and haven’t felt the vertigo since.

This is certainly not a conclusive study, but I’m curious if any other Tsingtao drinkers have experienced vertigo. I was drinking one or two cans about 5 or 6 days a week for maybe 6 months or more before I first noticed the feeling. And it was just usually TsingTao - not always. I’m not sure. Maybe it was for a year beforehand.

It is a plot by the CCP to take over Taiwan. That’s why they won’t allow Taiwan Beer in China. In case of the same.

They should sell Taiwan Beer to a huge brewery and then it could sue China through the WTO for not allowing it in China. Be a laugh anyway.

I think people shouldn’t drink Tsingtao because it’s too sweet and smells of farts. If the Chinese made a decent beer I’d drink it. But they don’t.

If the Taiwanese start boycotting Chinese stuff there’d be fuck all left to buy anyway. Even the ROC flags for double ten are made on the mainland. Probably. Not.

FYI, Qingdao Beer still tastes like crap.

I’m rethinking tasting crap. I like Tsingtao. Hate Taiwan beer. Kirin/Ichiban has it over both though.

Kirin rocks. Tai Pi and Tsingdao taste like boiled colostomy bags.

After I once found a big glob of phlegm in a bottle I opened myself many years ago in Hong Kong, I haven’t touched the stuff.