Boyfriend/girlfriend

Hi, could someone help me figure out if the concept of boyfriend/girlfriend exists in Taiwan? Or if parents would understand that concept as it is understand in the West.

Best wishes,

Peter

Also does the concept of breathing exist here? Bit confused about that one…

12 Likes

Yes, Peter. Funnily enough, people do have “boyfriends” and “girlfriends” here (Just like every other country in the world). As far as how liberal or conservative the parents would be with their children dating, that probably depends more on the individual parents than the culture as a whole. On average it’s more reserved than the west though.

So this thread is about sex before marriage?

1 Like

Thanks for the answers. I understand that every family is different. I also know that the culture is a bit more conservative. I was mostly wondering if the words boyfriend/girlfriend exists and Taiwanese people understand that it is the first step of a relationship.

Peter, don’t take this the wrong way, but how old are you? Yes, that’s the first step in a relationship (sometimes second after casual dating and/or casual sex). Yes, there’s an equivalent Chinese term.

1 Like

If you want to seriously discuss this I would suggest you first tell us where you’re from and how long you’ve been here (if you are here). Your questions are very naive. Taiwan is a westernized liberal democracy, its not North Korea.

5 Likes

I feel like I’m explaining the “birds and the bees” to my kid.

3 Likes

uhmmmmmmm

Yes but you need to fill out the appropriate paperwork at the immigration office and please remember your permit is only valid for that specific gf.

4 Likes

Is it true that you need a permit? :hushed:

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: Signs point to yes

1 Like

:doh:

Will I get in trouble for dating without a permit?

@discobot fortune

1 Like

:crystal_ball: Better not tell you now

2 Likes

Fine. Give us all some relationship advice.

@discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: To be thoughtful and kind only takes a few seconds compared to the timeless hurt caused by one rude gesture. — Byron Pulsifer

10 Likes

Thanks DB. :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like

I don’t think discobot likes one night rude gestures.

1 Like

Relationships in Taiwan generally progress in the same manner as they do in most countries:

1. Sexting
  2. Drunken hookup
  3. Friends with benefits
  4. Unexpected pregnancy
  5. Marriage
  6. Platonic friendship
  7. Divorce
8 Likes

That’s… actually very good advice.