Brake Calipers, RPM vs Brembo vs No Namers

Wow. That was some good info Redwagon.

You were totally correct, but my desire was just to “pretty” my cars. I see what you mean when you were talking about the stopping times. I do think those red calipers look nice.

I was thinking about painting them but don’t have the necessary stands and jacks, or time.

It would seem that painting is all I need. Even driving mountain roads BMW brakes never seem to fade let alone smoke and smell.

As to changing to Bilstein, they are supposed to give a better ride than OEM on Z4 and Mini’s. Any comment on aftermarket shocks.

I enjoyed reading your post even though I had to reread it and still don’t fully understand it. Always nice listening to someone with a genuine knowledge of a subject. :bravo:

Spidersaurus
It was the “purring” I was looking for :slight_smile:

Well, you could buy these from your local auto-widget emporium. I’m sure they would only cost a few hundred for Ah Huang to install.

tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/b54561158

It’s just a thin metal cover to put over the stock caliper and pretend to be a Brembo F50 or similar 4-pot caliper. Does absolutely nothing other than (subjectively) look better.

Oh, there are these too. page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e77288248. Dress-up rotor covers to make your stock rotors look like expensive two-piece items with alloy hats! Guaranteed bling without making any difference to your braking!

Or, you could just get Ah Huang to paint the calipers like this. I’m sure that would get you to your target.

A little disturbing that you know about these. :slight_smile:

Is it strictly true that the caliper cover “Does absolutely nothing other than (subjectively) look better.”?

I’d have thought it must interfere with cooling, though maybe not to a significant extent.

OTOH if you ran a pipe from your windscreen washer bottle into each cover, with a second washer pump and a BIG RED BUTTON, you could perhaps have emergency caliper cooling for those very occaisonal hot mountain descents.

[quote=“Ducked”]A little disturbing that you know about these. :slight_smile:

Is it strictly true that the caliper cover “Does absolutely nothing other than (subjectively) look better.”?

I’d have thought it must interfere with cooling, though maybe not to a significant extent.

OTOH if you ran a pipe from your windscreen washer bottle into each cover, with a second washer pump and a BIG RED BUTTON, you could perhaps have emergency caliper cooling for those very occaisonal hot mountain descents.[/quote]
I sometimes look for take-off brake parts in those places, so you run into the bling-bling side of automotive innovation sometimes…

Hey, once Ed’s chain oiler is finished and on the market maybe you can turn your attention to this! Never mind that trucks have had automatic water cooling for decades, you could control yours manually with a cool-looking red switch, one with a safety cover so the driver has to intentionally unlock it before activation. The teenagers love shit like that… all fighter-pilot-esque.

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“Ducked”]A little disturbing that you know about these. :slight_smile:

OTOH if you ran a pipe from your windscreen washer bottle into each cover, with a second washer pump and a BIG RED BUTTON, you could perhaps have emergency caliper cooling for those very occaisonal hot mountain descents.[/quote]
I sometimes look for take-off brake parts in those places, so you run into the bling-bling side of automotive innovation sometimes…

Hey, once Ed’s chain oiler is finished and on the market maybe you can turn your attention to this! Never mind that trucks have had automatic water cooling for decades, you could control yours manually with a cool-looking red switch, one with a safety cover so the driver has to intentionally unlock it before activation. The teenagers love shit like that… all fighter-pilot-esque.[/quote]

Long time ago, (though an embarassingly long time after my teens) in among all the other debris, there was a crashed/shot down Soviet helicopter at Wat Prha Viharn, just inside Cambodia. Was tempted to attack the cockpit with my Swiss Army knife for just such cyrillic-cool bomber-bling, (Spot the Lada owner) but I chickened out. The area was still mined, and I was (unrealistically, I think) parenoid that it might have been wired for bangs.

It’ll probably have been tidied away by now, along with the local rainforest, which had been protected by the hostilities up to that point. Fires as far as you could see, which was a long way from the Wat on top of the mountain.

Since the essence of Eds Oiler is DIY simplicity, I doubt its marketable as such. An alternative business model might be to invite Scottoiler (or Forumosa, for that matter) to pay me a consultancy fee to shut the fuck up about it, but I’m unclear whether that would be legal.

Just wanted to throw in this great article on how to choose brake pads.