brakes lowdown

If you don’t already have them you should switch to enclosed cam quick release skewers. They are stronger.

If it were doing that, surely you’d be able to feel the wheel moving out of true if you put the bike in a stand and applied some force with your hands? Also, how close to the rims do you run the brake blocks?

the problem has recurred after new skewers, always on the rear, but tightening the skewers seems to help. so yes time for some high end skewers.
Yes ColT, I agree with you. It must be a problem with the brakes but working out the mechanics of faults and performance upsets is truly difficult, all i can do is theorise and keep tinkering. Guess It’s high time i took the rear brakes off, cleaned then and oiled them and check it over. I’m still bamboozled.
brakes have been run both close and far away.

Stupid question here… have you ever noticed your skewers loose?

I suspect it’s more about those tiny bolts I said before…

yeh f*@k, don’t worry about it it’s my fault. Either you work out a problem yourself or get a mechanic to sort it - if you do both you just confuse yourself, and if you rely on mechanics you often get them selling you stuff you don’t necessarily need.
you do your own repairs and mechanics yourself jesus/colT, or do you use mechanics?

I do everything myself, unless I don’t have the correct tool for some reason

I’m a lazy ass and/or sometimes I want a professional to do what I want to get done… in a more professional way. If it’s an easy thing and I have the tools, I do it on my own.